|Level||110 (Requires 110)|
- 1 Objectives
- 2 Description
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Completion
- 5 Notes
- 6 Progression
- 7 Patch changes
- 8 External links
Witness True Betrayal in Shadowmoon Valley on the fringes of Outland.
Hardly recognizable from the golden eyed child of prophecy, and living as an outcast on the fringes of a shattered world, his motivation remained unchanged. His assaults on the Legion and his attempts to end their march were his only focus.
Yet, in a strange twist of fate, it was not the Burning Legion who came for him in the end.
We must travel to Outland to experience Illidan's last memory.
You will also receive:
- 58 20
- 24,680 XP
Forgive me, noble soul. I mislead you. Light's Heart was not the vessel that required preparation, it was yours.
You, who sacrificed everything for your world, and served your master dutifully until the end. These memories will serve to strengthen your resolve. Look to them when the dark temptation surrounds you and let them grant you the strength to resist and rise against the corrupters.
We will save Illidan and once more you will battle at the side of your master for the fate of all worlds.
Players who have killed Illidan
I wept when I touched your consciousness in the Great Dark, mortal. For I saw his fall, and I saw you, your shadow casting a dark pall over his body. I felt hatred in your heart as it corrupted your mind.
It was not Light's Heart, but you, that needed preparation. Now you know truth. Are you prepared to do what must be done to save your world and all others?
When the time is right, I will call upon you to begin the hunt for Illidan's soul.
His rebirth will be the story of your redemption.
Players who have not killed Illidan
In the end, the denizens of Azeroth and Outland came to exact their vengeance upon Illidan. Though you did not strike a blow against him, you were complicit in his fall.
I showed you Illidan's life so that you would understand why he fought and made the choices that he made. Yours was the vessel that needed preparation.
If the hatred and doubt in your heart has subsided, take your place at the side of the Light. Soon I will call upon you as we begin the hunt for Illidan's soul.
The completion text changes depending on the player's class and whether they've previously killed Illidan.
Near the temple's entrance, Xe'ra will prompt you:
- Xe'ra says: An ancient memory stirs. When you are prepared, call to me and together we will uncover a piece of Illidan's past.
Press the extra action button to begin. In this scenario, you re-enact the original Illidan Stormrage encounter from Illidan's perspective. If the player had killed Illidan in the encounter before, their adventurer will be among the gathered enemies.
Stage 1 – His Duplicity is Hardly Surprising
- Confront Akama.
- Examine the Skull of Gul'dan.
- Confront Akama.
A cutscene plays:
- Illidan Stormrage: Akama. Your duplicity is hardly surprising. I should have slaughtered you and your malformed brethren long ago.
- Akama: We've come to end your reign, Illidan. My people, and all of Outland, shall be free!
- Illidan Stormrage: Boldly said. But I remain... unconvinced.
- Akama yells: The time has come! The moment is at hand!
- Vhell says: If the glaive drops, can I have it?
- Illidan Stormrage yells: You are not prepared!
Stage 2 – You Are Not Prepared!
- Survive until your reinforcements arrive.
- Eliminate Akama's allies (25)
- Survive the Assault (percent bar; takes 90 seconds to fill)
Only one of the two objectives needs to be completed to move on.
- Kariel yells: ENGAGING IN 5!
- Kariel yells: 4
- Kariel yells: 3
- Scarab Lord Hamlet says: I think Johnny is afk...
- Twirhp begins launching Fireballs at Illidan.
- Illidan Stormrage yells: Come, my minions. Deal with this traitor as he deserves!
- Kariel yells: 2
- Kariel yells: 1
- Kariel yells: INCOMING!
- The raid group rushes in to attack.
- Akama yells: I'll deal with these mongrels! Strike now, friends! Strike at the Betrayer!
- Guard yells: Who pulled aggro?!?!
- Dreadpaw says: Misdirect the tank!
Stage 3 – To The Skies
- Summon the Flames of Azzinoth and eliminate your enemies from the sky.
- Enemies Defeated (25)
- Flames of Azzinoth must survive (2)
- Illidan uses Shadow Prison to stun the raid group.
- I will not be touched by rabble such as you!
A brief cutscene plays:
- Illidan Stormrage: Behold the Flames of Azzinoth!
- Illidan flies into the air and tosses his Warglaives of Azzinoth to the ground. Each spawns a Flame of Azzinoth.
You resume control of Illidan. Eventually the Flames of Azzinoth will die and another cutscene will play:
- Illidan lands and takes up the Warglaives of Azzinoth again.
- Illidan Stormrage: Who shall be next to taste my blades?
Stage 4 – The Final Countdown
- Unleash the hatred of ten thousand years.
- Use Metamorphosis
Use Metamorphosis to transform Illidan into Demon Form for 45 seconds.
- Illidan Stormrage yells: Behold the power... of the demon within!
Stage 5 – The Demon Within
- Annihilate your enemies.
- Destroy the Warlocks (2)
- Annihilate the rest of your enemies (23)
Once fewer than five raid members remain, they'll repeatedly resurrect, sometimes saying one of the following when they do:
- I didn't have a soulstone?!
- I was not prepared.
- How did I die to that?!
The next stage begins when Metamorphosis wears off.
Final Stage – The Huntress
- Defeat Maiev
- Defeat Maiev
A cutscene plays:
- Illidan Stormrage: Is this it, mortals? Is this all the fury you can muster?
- Maiev Shadowsong: Their fury pales before mine, Illidan. We have some unsettled business between us.
- Illidan Stormrage: Maiev... How is it even possible?
- Maiev Shadowsong: My long hunt is over. Today, justice will be done!
Maiev and the remaining raid members attack. Although the raid will no longer resurrect, Maiev herself can't be beaten. Either she'll kill Illidan, or she'll eventually become immune and trigger an instant death.
- Maiev Shadowsong yells: It is finished. You are beaten.
- Some of the raid members resurrect.
- Twirhp says: WoOoOOOoOO!!!
- Muffinmon yells: WORLD FIRST!!!
A cinematic plays:
- As Illidan falls to his knees, weakened, he sees several figures of light. They echo with voices of the past.
- Kur'talos Ravencrest: You are relieved of duty, Illidan.
- Illidan Stormrage: You have cast me out, Cenarius!
- Cenarius: Your anger is misplaced...
- Kur'talos Ravencrest: ...KILLED THEM ALL!
- Kur'talos Ravencrest: ...DONE! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!
- Illidan collapses to the ground and some of the figures fade, leaving only his past self, Cenarius, and Tyrande.
- Cenarius: To walk this path requires sacrifice, Illidan... Something you have yet to understand.
- Tyrande's face saddens.
- Illidan Stormrage: Tyrande...
- The glow of Illidan's eyes fades, and his face slumps to the floor.
You return to your own character, back at the entrance to the Black Temple. Xe'ra speaks:
- Xe'ra says: Tyrande... The world is only as meaningful to us as the beings that inhabit it. Even in the end, Illidan saw her as clearly as the first time he laid eyes on her. He never lost sight of his world. You must ask yourself how far will you go for yours.
After unlocking the first two Class Hall champions:
- (paladin only)
- (requires level 110)
- (requires Artifact Knowledge level 2)
- (requires Artifact Knowledge level 5)
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Added.