- Deviate Fish
- Use: Eat me.
- 1 Charge
- Sell Price: 4
In the RPG
Deviate fish are small fish living in the streams and waters near the Wailing Caverns. They are tiny because they have been altered by the deviate magic of the Wailing Caverns. They are a full-grown, but remarkably little, version of a common freshwater species of trout. The deviate fish are about 2 inches long, whereas a normal adult trout grows upward of 1 foot long. Furthermore, deviate fish radiate faint auras of transformation magic. Consuming one of these fish, either alive or cooked, produces various effects, usually "reduce person" which lasts for two minutes. They are very common throughout the Shrine of the Scarabs section of the caverns (WoW RPG, not in the online game). They do not survive more than a day or so outside the Wailing Caverns, and once dead their power fades after several hours.
- in the three oases,
- and in the Wailing Caverns, both
- within the instance and
- in the waters in the entryway.
Catches from these waters are approximately 30% Deviate Fish.
Schools of Deviate Fish spawn in the three oasis. Catches from the schools of Deviate Fish are approximately 90% Deviate Fish. There appear to be four schools of Deviate Fish spawned concurrently among the three oases, in any of four spots in each oasis, for a total of twelve possible locations. When one is fished out, another immediately spawns at another location - any empty spot, other than the one just fished, in any of the three oasis. Since four spots, including the one you just fished out are considered to be occupied, each empty spot has a one in eight chance to spawn the next school. If no one is fishing the other oases, you will shortly empty the schools in your oasis and have to travel to another to find a new school.
The waters within the instance may be preferred because mobs can be cleared, and hostile players from the other faction cannot enter your instance.
Eating a (raw) deviate fish will have a random effect on your character. Possible effects include:
- Healthy Spirit - increases your character's spirit by 5 points for 30 minutes.
- Invigorate - instantly heals your character 383 to 517.
- Party Time! - a magic debuff that causes the character to perform random emotes for 2 minutes. Your character will /clap, /cheer, /chicken, /lol, or /dance every 10–15 seconds, possibly interrupting spells or other actions.
- Rejuvenation - rank 4 of the druid buff by the same name, heals your character by 45 points every 3 seconds for 12 seconds.
- Shrink - a curse debuff that reduces your character's apparent size, as well as their strength and stamina, for 2 minutes.
- Sleepy - a magic debuff that sleeps your character for 30 seconds.
As an ingredient
- Deviate fish sell for quite a bit in the Auction House and can be a good source of income.
- Even though it can be eaten or cooked, it acts more like a potion than a food. It does not have food's normal restorative effect, and the effects it does have are not buffs.
- "Eat me" may be a reference to the book Alice in Wonderland, where there was cake that bore the same label and caused rapid growth.
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): Deviate Fish changed to appear in the Trade Goods section of the Auction House.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Both helpful and harmful effects from the Deviate Fish will remain after logging out.