- For the Ashran mob, see .
The Zandalari trolls have tamed and armored direhorns and other dinosaurs for millennia. However, the Zandalari recently deployed them for use as living war engines to aid them in defending the Throne of Thunder and their mogu allies on the Isle of Thunder.
The Zandalari breed specific direhorn species for their small size for use as mounts. A common coming-of-age rite among the Zandalari is to travel to one of the violent, beast-ruled islands near the capital to steal or subdue a wild creature, such as a direhorn or devilsaur. Before a Zandalari sets out to tame a direhorn, they are known to traditionally carve sigils into their arm with ceremonial horns, speak to a bestial loa, drink a wild draught, wear a twin-tusk mask, and "roar with the inner voice".
Direhorn hides can be harder than plate armor.
As a mount
- Main article: Direhorn mounts
As a companion pet
- has a chance to drop from direhorn mobs on the Isle of Giants.
- has a chance to drop from in the Throne of Thunder.
- is rewarded from .
As a hunter pet
Direhorns were added in patch 5.2.0 as a tamable pet family for Hunters that have learned the required skill. Aspiring direhorn owners should seek out clues regarding these auspicious beasts. The direhorn's special ability, , allows them to deflect all spells cast in front of them.
- While mostly comparable to the iconic Triceratops dinosaur, direhorns actually combine visual elements of several ceratopsid and ankylosaur genera, such as Triceratops, Styracosaurus and Ankylosaurus. They are also similar to Stegadons from Warhammer Fantasy Battles, which also are a combination of the aforementioned genera.
- In the game database, their model is referred to as "triceratops".
- The color variants that are available in game are blue with yellow stripes, green with dark green stripes, light brown with orange stripes, red with brown and dark red spots, and white with yellow stripes.
A direhorn hatchling in Hearthstone.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): Added. Tamable.