- A fool and her blessings are soon parted.
Tips and tactics
Dispel Magic is a very useful ability in PvP. It can dispel most magical buffs, removing powerful effects or returning an opponent's stats to normal. With good timing it can be used to strip powerful cooldowns such as from opponents, wasting their effects.
Dispel Magic chooses a buff at random. Many enemy players will often cast unnecessary buffs, such as , to reduce the odds that dispels will remove an important buff.
Dispellable buffs on enemy targets will be illuminated to indicate that the priest is capable of dispelling them.
The impact of a priest who spams Dispel Magic on a battleground is very potent. You can remove druid healing over time. You can remove powerful protective spells with cooldowns like , Sacrifice and . You can cancel out or used by mages and priests to escape the Lumber Mill in Arathi Basin. You can remove the of another priest. A good healing priest on a battleground will be either shielding, healing, attacking or dispelling at all times, and dispelling is often a good use of time when healing is not required.
The most powerful buffs such as and can be removed by , but not Dispel Magic. Dispel Magic cannot return a druid to humanoid form because shapeshifting is natural, not magical. However, the shaman form is magical and can be dispelled.
Priests must decide when to use Dispel Magic, and when to use . Dispel Magic is instant, can be cast while running, cannot be interrupted and removes one debuff from enemy targets; Mass Dispel dispels one buff or debuff from each enemy or ally within the spell's area of effect, removing up to 20 effects in total, and can also remove immunities, but with a 1.5-second cast time is harder to cast and can be interrupted.
Players should be aware that certain buffs (such as ) will cause additional effects upon being dispelled. A full list can be found here.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.1.5 (2019-03-12): Mana cost reduced by 60%.
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Now available at level 56 (up from level 26).
- Hotfix (2016-08-02): "When an adversary prevents a Priest from using Holy spells, Dispel Magic and Shackle Undead are properly locked out for the length of the interrupt effect."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Dispel Magic has been split into two abilities, and may now only dispel magical effects from enemy targets. Icon changed.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Can only be used on the casting priest (or enemy targets) as a baseline effect, but may be improved with Absolution. Additionally, Dispel Magic will now only remove 1 buff from enemy targets (down from 2).
- Patch 1.10.0 (2006-03-28): All spells/abilities that remove existing effects (e.g. Dispel Magic, Cleanse, Remove Curse etc...) will now verify that there is an effect that can be removed before casting.
- Patch 1.9.0 (2006-01-03): The mana cost of this spell was changed to a percentage of base mana.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Dispel Magic can no longer be used on players participating in a duel unless the caster is in the duel.
- Patch 0.11 (2004-09-29): Casting Dispel Magic on a friend under the influence of charm will dispel the charm.