Doctor Theolen Krastinov
- For doctor's original encounter, see Doctor Theolen Krastinov (Classic).
|Level||91 Rare Elite|
|Location||Butcher's Sanctum, Scholomance|
Known as "The Butcher", Krastinov was the servant of Kirtonos the Herald and the main torturer and provider of bodies and bodily parts for the Scholomance's necromancy experiments.
His first victims were recruited from among the household of Caer Darrow. Among them were servants of the Barov family, Eva and Lucien Sarkhoff. Trapped, tortured and maimed for months, they vowed vengeance on Krastinov even beyond the grave.
Eva Sarkhoff describes Doctor Krastinov's tortures:
- "The undead surrounded us, constantly tormenting us with horrifying acts of depravity. Finally, he came. He introduced himself as Doctor Theolen Krastinov. We came to know him as the butcher...We finally understood what the screams were from. The Butcher exposed us to pain that we did not know existed. He used us in countless experiments to devise a plague. The days turned to weeks. We would have died on that first day had it not been for that cruel bastard keeping us alive through magical means....We feel nothing. Our souls remain here, in limbo. We are unable to leave until our remains are found and spirits laid to rest."
Eventually Krastinov was killed for his atrocities, however, Darkmaster Gandling still saw some usefulness out of him and raised him into undeath to continue serving the Scourge. Some students trained under the doctor himself were sent to the Plaguelands.
After his final death, Krastinov's soul was sent to Revendreth, where the venthyr sought to cleanse him of the lust for power that drove him to commit such terrible deeds. His sinstone can be found near the Halls of Atonement.
- Entering the Butcher's Sanctum
- The doctor is in!
- Time for a little open-heart surgery!
- Killing a player
- Another successful operation!
- Donate...my body...to science...
- It is possible that the inspiration for Krastinov's character may be Josef Mengele, head physician of the Auschwitz death camp, who used his position to carry out unspeakable acts of torture on certain inmates in the name of science, earning him the nickname 'The Angel of Death'.
- His quote "The doctor is in!" may be a reference to Hellraiser's Dr Channard Cenobite.
- Theolen Krastinov is voiced by Robin Atkin-Downes.
- Krastinov has extensive voice over dialogue in the game files for Mists of Pandaria, suggesting he was originally intended to return as a normal boss for the revamp of Scholomance. Instead, Krastinovian Carvers appear, who have apparently been surgically altered to look like Theolen Krastinov. They will sometimes randomly say lines of dialogue recorded for Krastinov while in combat. Krastinov himself does appear as a rare spawn in the Heroic level 90 version of Scholomance.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Added.