We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
Draconic is an obscure tongue only spoken by a few scholars, for native speakers — dragons — are seldom encountered. The Draconic language is made up of husky syllables and has a growling sound.
- Abela = Once.
- Am dakana = For all.
- Belan shi = Thank you.
- Dargonax = Devourer.
- Mal = And
- Mel andilar borun miranol = Your suffering shall be legendary.
- Reln nu ramani ar ravelahn = Let the will of this puppet be broken.
- Thorel osh'onza. = Insolent young elf.
This is the list of words created by the in-game language parser for the Draconic language, and is listed as language number eleven (word range 902-1028) in the Language text file.
Note: The language algorithm used by the in-game "translator" merely makes the words LOOK like Draconic. It does not actually use a specific dictionary. Therefore, translated in-game speech isn't true Draconic.
|Number of letters in word||Word List|
|One-letter words||A, E, I, O, U, Y, G, X|
|Two-letter words||Il, No, Az, Te, Ur, Za, Ze, Re, Ul, Me, Xi|
|Three-letter words||Tor, Gul, Lok, Asj, Kar, Lek, Daz, Maz, Ril, Ruk, Laz, Shi, Zar|
|Four-letter words||Ashj, Alar, Orah, Amir, Aman, Ante, Kiel, Maez, Maev, Veni, Raka, Zila, Zenn, Parn, Rikk|
|Five-letter words||Melar, Rakir, Tiros, Modas, Belan, Zekul, Soran, Gular, Enkil, Adare, Golad, Buras, Nagas, Revos, Refir, Kamil|
|Six-letter words||Rethul, Rakkan, Rakkas, Tichar, Mannor, Archim, Azgala, Karkun, Revola, Mishun, Arakal, Kazile, Thorje|
|Seven-letter words||Belaros, Tiriosh, Faramos, Danashj, Amanare, Faralos, Kieldaz, Karaman, Gulamir, Toralar, Rethule, Zennshi, Amanare|
|Eight-letter words||Maladath, Kirasath, Romathis, Theramas, Azrathud, Mordanas, Amanalar, Ashjraka, Azgalada, Rukadare, Sorankar, Enkilzar, Belankar|
|Nine-letter words||Naztheros, Zilthuras, Kanrethad, Melarorah, Arakalada, Soranaman, Nagasraka, Teamanare|
|Ten-letter words||Matheredor, Ticharamir, Pathrebosh, Benthadoom, Amanemodas, Enkilgular, Burasadare, Melarnagas, Zennrakkan, Ashjrethul, Kamilgolad|
|Eleven-letter words||Zekulrakkas, Archimtiros, Mannorgulan, Mishunadare, Ashjrakamas|
- Belan Shi Karkun = "Thank you, Mortal" Said by the Netherwing Drakes during
- Ashj zila gul kirasath lok ante il lok buras danashj Gul gul = "They must not discover the fate of the young paladin. Not yet." Said by during
- Rikk soran xi enkil Maladath il tichar, karkun. Ruk maz zekul shi ashj raka xi enkil xi gular te lok faramos rakkan? Enkilzar archim... = Your quest to learn draconic is futile, mortal. And why would you ever want to learn to speak in the ancient tongue? Baffling really... Draconic for Dummies
Some draconic words may be learned from various pieces of equipment. However, none of this has been verified and is just speculation.
- "Amir" = "Hand"
- "Ashjre" = "Crossbow"
- "Crul" = "Edge"
- "Il" = "Of" (Seems only to appear when referring to a name.)
- "Lok" = "The"
- "Maladath" = "Draconic"
- "Mish" = "Circlet"
- "Romathis" = "Nefarius" (Nefarius is the name goes by in human form. "Romathis" may also be the word "nefarious," or Nefarian's name in draconic.)
- "Skorukh" = "Chaos"
- "Thul" = "Smiting"
- "Undare" = "Mind Flayer"
- Phrases (speculation)
- "Ashjre'thul" = "Crossbow of Smiting"
- "Crul'shorukh" = "Edge of Chaos"
- "" = "The Hand of Nefarius"
- "Mish'undare" = "Circlet of the Mind Flayer"
- Words (speculation)
- Ante = Fate
- Archim = Really
- Ashj = Ever / They
- Belan = Thank
- Buras = Young
- Danashj = Paladin
- Enkil = Learn
- Enkilzar = Baffling
- Faramos = Ancient
- Gul = Not / Yet
- Gular = Speak
- Il = Is / Of
- Karkun = Mortal
- Kirasath = Discover
- Lok = The
- Maz = Why
- Raka = Want
- Rakkan = Tongue
- Rikk = Your
- Ruk = And
- Shi = You
- Soran = Quest
- Te = In
- Xi = To
- Zekul = Would
- Zila = Must
As with many other features of the Warcraft setting, many of the languages are derived from the Dungeons and Dragons role-playing game - not in the sense of the actual languages, but in what kinds of languages are present in a given world. In Dungeons and Dragons, there are many languages that are based on a single species/race or a collection of related species or races, including Draconic. Draconic is not only spoken by dragons, but is also the native tongue of various reptilian creatures, in particular reptilian humanoids such as kobolds, troglodytes, and lizardfolk. Wizards also study draconic, as many ancient spells are written in the language, as do the elves, who favor the practice of wizardry.
Wrath of the Lich King
With the release of Patch 3.0.2, a number of characters were granted the ability to speak Draconic, for unknown reasons. For example, all gnome rogues on the Shadow Council US server gained the ability. The ability was widely reported among gnome rogues, and appears to have largely been limited to this race and class combination, although some players reported dwarf rogues gaining the language.
- ^ http://www.wowhead.com/spell=814/language-draconic
- ^ a b
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, pg. 131
- ^ Shadows & Light, pg. 134
- ^ a b c Into the Jaws of Death!, pg. 19
- ^ Night of the Dragon, pg. 201
- ^ a b Into the Jaws of Death!, pg. 17
- ^ Descent, pg. 6
- ^ http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/speakLanguage.htm
- ^ http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/kobold.htm
- ^ http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troglodyte.htm
- ^ http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lizardfolk.htm
- ^ http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/sorcererWizard.htm#wizard
- ^ http://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#elves
- ^ http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/10/15/shadow-council-gnome-rogues-learn-draconic/
- ^ http://lh6.ggpht.com/hellvector/SPZnZymk3mI/AAAAAAAAAzE/sgeYt22kEGg/s1024/WoWScrnShot_101508_165641.jpg
- ^ http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/10/15/shadow-council-gnome-rogues-learn-draconic/1#comments
- ^ http://www.wowhead.com/spell=814/language-draconic