||The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 4.0.6.
- This includes items and quests that can no longer be obtained or are now deprecated.
- The in-game information in this article is kept purely for historical purposes.
- Drain Mana
- Warlock ability
- 30 yd range
- 7% of base mana
- Instant cast
- Transfers 3% of target's maximum mana every 1 sec from the target to the caster (up to a maximum of 6% of the caster's maximum mana every 1 sec). Lasts 5 sec.
Tremendous power comes from a warlock's ability to sustain complex rituals.
Drain Mana is a channeled spell that removes mana from the target and gives it to the Warlock. It is learned at level 24 for 30.
- As it is a Mana Drain spell, its effect cannot be increased by spell damage.
- In an earlier version, Mana Drain did not break crowd control, such as [Polymorph] or [Fear]. However, this has been changed.
Tips and Tactics
- At each rank the spell must be channeled for at least 3 seconds in order to earn back the mana invested in the initial casting.
- This spell can be very effective in Arena as it can be used to run enemy healers out of mana limiting their ability to heal and support their team.
- In PvE it sees situational use against specific bosses in Instances who can heal themselves. Also, it can be used against some mobs that can drain YOUR mana and use it to cast very nasty spells. By draining back your mana you stop them from performing these spells. These mobs include Wretched Devourers for example, they cast Nether Shock that deals heavy shadow damage and also silences the target. However it can be hard to prevent them from casting it since their drain is an Arcane Torrent, which is instant, and therefore you must be very quick at draining the mana out of them before they use it. Many Nether Rays also use Nether Shock or Arcane Explosions using mana drained from you by their own Drain Mana.
- Because casting it costs mana, Drain Mana is inefficient as a mana restorer.
- Demonology Warlocks with Mana Feed can use Drain Mana to restore their demon's mana, but not as efficiently as using Life Tap.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Removed.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Now costs 12% of base mana, down from 17%. Range now 40 yards, up from 30. Now lasts 3 sec, down from 5 sec.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Now drains a percentage of maximum mana.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Visual spell effect changed. Undocumented.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Range has been increased.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Spells that drain mana will now properly report the amount of mana gained in the combat log.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07): Targets with no mana will no longer be valid for Drain Mana (Rank 4), making it consistent with all other ranks of the spell.
- Patch 0.8 (2004-07-07): Siphon Mana renamed to Drain Mana.