Earth Elemental (shaman ability)
- "I have conscripted the very land to fight."
Earth Elemental is a level 72 Elemental shaman ability.
This is mainly a tanking minion, and is not the best for damage. Earth elementals have a fair amount of health, roughly as much as the shaman does; as such, while they excel at handling mobs out in the world, elite monsters will kill them rapidly.
Elementals have a fairly large aggro range and may cause problems in instances by attacking mobs that were not otherwise in combat, although the elemental is not aggro-linked to the shaman, and when it dies the mobs will reset as long as no-one else is on their threat list. Elementals move surprisingly quickly, and use an AoE taunt ability frequently.
In instances, the primary use for Earth Elementals is to serve as an emergency magnet. Their AoE taunt will almost always gain the attention of any mob that is affected by it - while monsters focus their attacks on the elemental, they are gathered up for another player, preferably the tank, to deal with. As such, they serve as a bit of an "Oh no!" totem. The Earth Elemental can also act as an emergency tank in and of itself if the tank dies, especially if the shaman that cast it is a healer and can keep the elemental alive, preventing a wipe.
Tips and tactics
The Earth Elemental is a great soloing companion for harder (group) quests. Certain quests that normally would require a 3 or even 4 man group can easily be soloed with an Earth Elemental and a competent Shaman. A good tactic involves constantly switching between healing the Elemental, healing yourself, and dealing damage.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Model updated.
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13):
- Earth Elemental has 600% of the Shaman's armor (was 400%) and 150% HP (was 100%).
- Earth Elemental has 6% melee crit reduction.
- Now has 400% of the caster's armor (was 200%).
- Now has 25% the caster's spell power as attack power (was 5%), and 45% for Primal version.
- Creates a great deal of threat to nearby enemies.
- Now has a duration of 1 minute (was 15 seconds) and a cooldown of 5 minutes (was 2 minutes).