Earth Shield is a Restoration shaman honor talent, available at rank 28. Whenever the shielded target is attacked, the shield will heal it. This heal can only occur when they take an attack equal to 8% of their total health, and has three charges. The spell can only be active on one target at a time.
The ten minute duration combined with the charges only triggering on high damage means that Earth Shield can be cast on a target before pulling with no loss of effect.
Tips and Tactics
- Earth Shield is great in PvP situations as it greatly increases the shaman's survivability.
- As of Patch 6.0.2, you no longer need to worry about your Earth Shield being over-ridden by another resto shaman's Earth Shield.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2017-06-13): "
- Earth Shield will now heal when an attacker takes 4% of their max health in damage (was 8%).
- Earth Shield now has 4 charges (was 3)."
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10):
- Now has a 5 second cooldown.
- Now provides 15% damage reduction (was 20%).
- Now triggers at 8% health loss (was 6%).
- Mana cost has been increased to 15% base mana (was 12.6%).
- No longer dispellable.
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Protection now activates when the target takes an attack equal to 6% of their total health (was 10%).
- Hotfix (2016-07-26): "
- Earth Shield now procs its heal when the target takes at least 10% of their total health (was 15%).
- Earth Shield now heals 325% of Spell Power (was 300%)."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Changed into an honor talent. Now causes the target to take 20% less damage instead of increasing healing done by the shaman to the target. Now heals for 300% of spell power when struck (up from 63%), but only when they take an attack equal to 15% of their total health. Number of charges reduced from 9 to 3.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Multiple Earth Shields can now be applied to the same target.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Earth Shield now increases healing to the affected target by 20%. No longer reduces spell pushback.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Earth Shield healing done by Restoration shaman has been reduced by 20%.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Can no longer be dispelled.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Now a primary spell of Restoration shamans instead of a talent.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Dispel effects will now remove charges of Earth Shield rather than the entire aura.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Earth Shield threat is now added to the healer. Previously the threat was added to the target being healed.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): Number of charges reduced from 10 to 6. Mana cost reduced by 50%.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Adjusted the tooltip to indicate this ability works against all types of attacks, not just melee. This ability will also now properly trigger only from taking direct damage effects.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Added.