Digital: August 6, 2018
Elegy is a World of Warcraft novella by Christie Golden. It recounts the War of the Thorns from the Alliance's point of view, while its companion novella A Good War details the Horde perspective. Both novellas take place simultaneously. The story takes place after the events of Before the Storm.
A limited edition hardback book containing both A Good War and Elegy along with exclusive original artwork will be included in the World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth Collector's Edition. Both stories were announced to become available online later in 2018, but buying the Collector's Edition would remain the only way to own the hardback version containing original artwork. The digital version of the stories was released on August 6, 2018.
- Tension and drama unfolds between the Horde and the Alliance in the Battle for Azeroth novellas Elegy by Christie Golden and A Good War by Robert Brooks. These two tales explore the Horde and the Alliance versions of a fateful event, but only you can decide which faction tells it best.
- In the game, Anduin Wrynn learned about the Horde invasion on Ashenvale while in Stormwind Keep by Mathias Shaw. In the novella, Anduin learned about the invasion from a Stormwind guard while at Lion's Rest.
- In the game, Genn Greymane rescued Mia Greymane and a Frightened Gilnean Child. In the novella, Genn rescued Mia and a night elf infant.
- Both Elegy and A Good War run around 35,000 words each, making the combined reading length around the same as that of a short novel.
- ^ a b Blizzard Entertainment 2018-04-05. Battle for Azeroth™: Collector’s Edition. Retrieved on 2018-04-05.
- ^ Christie Golden on Twitter (2018-04-05). “SO EXCITED to be able to discuss this! @RoBrooks13 & I worked closely together to tell 2 sides of the same story, & those stories occur simultaneously, We're not sure that's been done in literature before! The artwork is EXCLUSIVE to this edition too!”
- ^ Christie Golden on Twitter (2018-04-05). Retrieved on 2018-04-06. “Great question! YES. "Elegy" is a novella which, in tandem with "A Good War," tells both H and A sides of the burning of the World Tree. "Before the Storm" takes place BEFORE that event. They are two thoroughly different stories.”
- ^ Christie Golden on Twitter (2018-04-05). Retrieved on 2018-04-06. “Someone raised a great question. "Before the Storm" focuses on Anduin and Sylvanas & takes place BEFORE the World Tree burning. Elegy" is a novella that, along with @RoBrooks13 "A Good War," depicts both sides of that event -and- has a few non-spoilery references to BtS.”
- ^ a b A Tale of Two Factions: Elegy and A Good War Now Available!. Blizzard Entertainment (2018-08-06). Retrieved on 2018-08-06.
- ^ Christie Golden on Twitter (2018-04-05). Retrieved on 2018-04-06. “IMPORTANT TO KNOW! To allay some fears: There are TWO novellas, one by @RoBrooks13 and one by me, in the BfA Collector's edition. Each one has a looot of art, and each one runs around 35K words. Total reading is therefore the length of a short novel. So lots to enjoy!”