- Requires Enchanting (350)
- Permanently enchant a melee weapon to cause your damaging spells and melee weapon hits to occasionally inflict additional Frost damage and slow the target. Slow effect does not work on targets 73 or higher. Cannot be applied to items higher than level 600.
Permanently enchant a melee weapon to cause your damaging spells and melee weapon hits to occasionally inflict additional Frost damage and slow the target. Slow effect does not work on targets 73 or higher.
Useful as a mid priced enchant for leveling between 60-70. Situationally good for tankadins when a warrior is not in the party and minimizing damage is more important than threat. Good in PvP or on a backup weapon. Enhancement Shaman get the most benefit from this enchant (there has been some argument that Shadow Priests are also a good choice). Whatever your class, another more costly enchant exists that is superior to deathfrost.
This section contains information that is out-of-date. Reason: These notes reference statistics and spells that have changed over the years, and may no longer be accurate.
- Procs off both white and yellow attacks, but uses different mechanics. For procs from spells, the proc rate is 50%, the internal CD is 25s. There is no internal cooldown for melee procs which appear to be 10-12.5%. Can refresh itself but does not stack.
- It does not proc off ranged attacks (useless to Hunters) nor ranged specials like /. Shapeshifted druids can use bleeds to proc it, but not other animal form attacks. Damage dealing Judgements seem to proc with its melee proc rate only. It has, however, been observed to proc from ranged attacks triggered by items such as .
- procs it but other forms of reactive damage such as does not. Further testing needed since patch 2.4.3 of reactive damage such as is required.
- It cannot be resisted, dodged, etc. It will always hit, but if damage is absorbed then no debuff will occur.
- It crits with your spell crit chance for 150% damage. Modified by affects/talents that effect all damage or all spell damage (but not damage from spells!)
- Does debuff raid bosses but does not affect casting speed. (Melee & ranged speed still affected.)
- Target's attack speed is slowed, but movement is unaffected.
- It is a non-magic frost spell effect that can be removed, but cannot be dispelled.
- Does not stack with Thunderclap. Debuff replaces Thunderclap and is bigger than Thunderclap. Further Thunderclaps continue to do damage/threat as normal but does not further slow the target.
- For curious Frost Mages, enchant is not affected by spell damage or .
- Will trigger the Shadow's Embrace set bonus.
- Replaces debuff from .
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Effect reworded. Slowing effect no longer affects targets above level 73.
- Patch 2.4.3 (2008-07-15): Now procs off dots including .
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): Added.