The demonic doomguard of the Burning Legion belong to the ered'ruin species.
The ered'ruin long predate Sargeras' betrayal.
Originally created to serve as the titan's hounds, they were used to police the use of arcane magics. Sacrificial magic was considered the greatest violation of life and they were attuned to instantly punish those who delved into such sorcery.
Following his betrayal, Sargeras recruited them to his cause; with modern ered'ruin referring to such as freedom from slavery.
Role in Burning Legion
They serve as shock troops and enforcers. Powerful and deliberate, these winged aberrations are known across the cosmos for their brutality. The doomguard are utterly devoted to their pit lord masters and revel in the destruction of worlds.
The fearsome doomguard served as Archimonde's personal escorts. Although they are often called upon to perform a number of duties for the Legion, their loyalty laid with him alone. Though ered'ruin had still served the Burning Legion during the invasion of Outland, Kanrethad Ebonlocke said the ered'ruin hadn't had a master since Archimonde's defeat. He intended to become their new master.
In the RPG
- The doomguard are listed as being of the "doomguard" race. Doomguard of rank are once called "doomguard lords". Lord Kazzak's race is listed as "doomguard".
- "Doom guard (tarshesite)" is given a single mention in the same context as "Dreadlord (nathrezim)".
- The doomguard were left to their own devices after Archimonde's defeat at the World Tree on Mount Hyjal. They now roam the universe serving as mercenaries for whoever will have them.
Notes and trivia
- As doomlords are part of the doomguard's species (being just a model used for elite doomguard), they are ered'ruin as well.
- The name "ered'ruin" may be inspired by orodruin, the Sindarin name of Mount Doom in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. The Sindarin plural of "orodruin" would be "eredruin" ("mountains of doom").
This article or section includes speculation, observations or opinions possibly supported by lore or by Blizzard officials. It should not be taken as representing official lore.
- "Doomguard" may be a rank in, or the common name for, the ered'ruin species.
- The ered'ruin may include races such as terrorguard (though that may be a separate species that holds the same rank) and daemons as well.
- They may also be related to the eredar as suggested by the use of the term "ered" in their name.