Eternity's End (WC3 NightElf)
(Redirected from Eternity's End (cinematic))
- “The roots will heal in time, as will the entire world. The sacrifices has been made. Just as the orcs, humans and night elves discarded their old hatreds and stood united against a common foe, so did nature herself rise up to banish the shadow forever.
As for me, I came back to ensure that there would be a future, to teach the world that it no longer needed guardians. The hope for future generations has always resided in mortal hands. And now that my task is done, I will take my place amongst the legends of the past.”
- — Medivh
In World of Warcraft
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
- According to Nick Carpenter, the cinematics team had "probably 50 different takes" of the shot in which new roots are seen growing out of Nordrassil, with many versions of the roots looking off or too spaghetti-like. Eventually a couple of artists made the effect work, but according to Carpenter it was definitely one of the hardest things the team had ever done.
- When the gathered mortal armies are shown in the backdrop, these are actual renders of night elf, orc, and human units doing their animations, albeit with slightly altered textures.
- Nick Carpenter originally considered giving the cinematic music that felt more "in your face", but giving it more serene and surreal music ended up working out better.
- According to former Blizzard game designer David Fried, towards the end of Warcraft III's development there was significant internal backlash against "the ending cinematic where Archimonde is attacked by night elf tree sperm". Fried recalls how there was "all sorts of meetings and infighting about it", and how Rob Pardo rounded people up to "basically attack the cinematics department for giving us something nigh-unusable". In the end, the team made the cinematic work, but the joke about Nordrassil "jizzing" on Archimonde persisted and came up at least once or twice a month until the game shipped.
- ^ a b c Blizzard Archive 2013-01-18. Warcraft 3 - Director's Commentary - The Sacrifice. YouTube. Retrieved on 2019-04-24.
- ^ Abelhawk 2016-05-25. Pretzel Lectern: Behind WarCraft III: An Interview with Campaign Designer David Fried. Retrieved on 2017-12-25.