- Even if you see a rogue, there's no guarantee your strikes will, too.
Tips and tactics
Won't let you dodge attacks made from behind, and does not work at all when you're stunned. Choose the right moment to use it, as most melee classes can counter it with non-melee-based attacks: paladins can stun you with , druids can root you with , Outlaw and Subtlety rogues can use , etc. At higher levels you can benefit from either , but keep this in mind anyway.
In any melee situation, it will significantly lessen the damage you're taking.
Using Evasion during certain raid encounters can be key to your raid's success.
If your tank dies when the boss is almost dead, Evasion may be a lifesaver. Pop Evasion as soon as you see that the boss targeted you. You can now tank the boss for 10 seconds, which might just give enough time to kill the boss. just before Evasion ends. If there is more than one rogue in the group or raid, you may chain Evasion-tank the boss, giving even more time to DPS.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): No longer available to Outlaw.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Now increases dodge chance by 100% (was 50%), cooldown has been reduced to 2 minutes (down from 3 minutes), and duration has been reduced to 10 seconds (down from 15 seconds).
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): No longer reduces the chance that ranged attacks hit the rogue.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Evasion now has a chance of hit reduction by 25 % at level 9. With that the ranks have been lost. It costs 5 24.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): The cooldown has been reduced from 5 minutes to 3.