- For those trained to draw on its power, the wellspring of magical energy is limitless.
Evocation is a level 20 Arcane mage mana regeneration utility spell that allows the mage to recover mana very quickly, even in battle. It starts with a 3 minute cooldown, but this is reduced by 90 seconds at level 56.
The spell is channeled over 6 seconds, during which time the mage cannot take any other action without prematurely ending the spell. Any damage taken (excluding active DoTs) may reduce the channeling time, which will in turn reduce the total amount of mana gained. "Evocate" is often used as a verb; to evocate is to channel the Evocation spell.
Tips and tactics
- Evocation is excellent for longer fights, such as PvE raid boss encounters.
- A damage shield such as or will prevent loss of channeling time from damage.
According to some sources, Evocation is one of the Schools of Arcane magic.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now restores 100% of total mana over 6 seconds.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now available only to Arcane mages.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): For Arcane Mages, Evocation now restores 40% (was 60%) of total mana over 6 seconds, and consumes all Arcane Charges. For each Arcane Charge consumed, the total amount of mana regenerated is increased by 10%, up to a maximum of 80% over 6 seconds. Evocation remains the same for Fire and Frost.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Cooldown reduced to 2 minutes. Now causes the caster to gain 15% of total mana instantly and 45% of total mana over 6 sec.
- Patch 3.0.8 (2009-01-20): Cooldown reduced to 4 minutes, and the talent Arcane Flows reduces this cooldown further by 1m/2m.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Evocation now regenerates 15% of total mana every 2 seconds rather than increasing Spirit based regeneration.
- Patch 2.2.0 (2007-09-25):
- Abilities that grant a power increases (such as Evocation) were changed to guarantee a consistent number of ticks of regeneration at the increased level. For Evocation, this means that as soon as the spell is cast, a single tick of mana regeneration will be awarded at the normal level, then exactly 2 seconds and every 2 seconds after, the 1500% of mana regeneration will be returned, guaranteeing a full 4 ticks of increased regen every time. Previously, with unfortunate timing, increased mana would be returned on only 3 ticks.
- Animation changed to the new cyclone spell effect. Undocumented.
- Patch 1.12.0 (2006-08-22): Evocation can no longer be used while silenced.
- Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-20): This spell is no longer a talent, and can instead be trained at Level 20 from any mage trainer. Cooldown reduced to 8 minutes, down from 10 minutes.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Reduced cooldown.