- Not to be confused with Exile's Rise.
|Level: 1 - 10|
Exile's Reach is an uncharted island located within the North Sea which will serve as a level 1-10 starting zone in World of Warcraft: Shadowlands. New World of Warcraft players will automatically start in Exile's Reach before moving to their faction's capital and entering Battle for Azeroth leveling content. Existing players starting new characters will be able to choose if they want to start in their race's regular starting zone or in Exile's Reach before moving on to 10-50 content. The story through the island culminates in a mini-dungeon of two bosses designed for 1 to 5 players, with scaling difficulty and no role requirements. Players can choose if they want to take on the challenge alone or with friends. Overall, the experience is intended to introduce new players to the world and the basics of the features seen later in the game.
Exile's Reach will not be available for allied race characters and death knights and demon hunters. Allied races will begin at level 10. Non-Allied race death knights and demon hunters will automatically begin at level 8 and play through their own starting experience before moving on around level 10.
The Horde and Alliance sent an expedition to the island, but it was never heard from again. Novice adventurers travel to the island as part of a bigger and stronger expeditionary force to find out what happened. As with many such journeys, the adventurers find themselves as part of a crew aboard a ship bound to their last known location. When things take a turn for the worse, they make landfall on the island of Exile's Reach, eventually discovering that the previous expedition was captured by an ogre necromancer who intends to sacrifice them to raise an undead dragon.
Exile's Reach is a small island part of an archipelago in the North Sea, located to the northeast of the Broken Isles—at a considerable distance off the coast of Stormheim—and in between Northrend and Lordaeron. The island has large mountains, vistas, waterfalls, dark forests, and a variety of familiar monsters. Ogre ruins dot the central area of the island.
Maps and subregions
|Instance name||Level range||Group size||Approximate run time|
Notes and trivia
- A hidden underwater cave can be found in the northern part of the river that goes through Exile's Reach. Three tortollans found here will transport you back to your camp.
- The ogre architecture on the island is distinctly Gorian, making it one of the very few places on Azeroth to use the imperial ogre craftsmanship, the other being ruins on the Seething Shore and on Un'gol Ruins.
- The island sits in the center of a large archipelago of unreachable islands, most of which are copy and pasted bits of terrain from the Stormheim zone.
- At BlizzCon 2019, death knights and demon hunters were originally stated to also start at level 1 on Exile's Reach with the option for veteran players of playing their original hero class starting experiences as an alternative.
It might be or not the same archipelago that once featured on the world maps before Wrath of the Lich King.
- BlizzCon 2019
Exile's Reach as shown at BlizzCon 2019
- Patch 9.0.1 (2020-10-13): Added.
- ^ a b c Shadowlands: Adventure Awaits in the New Starting Experience
- ^ a b c Blizzard Entertainment 2019-11-02. World of Warcraft: Deep Dive Panel Recap. Retrieved on 2020-03-06.
- ^ Medievaldragon 2019-11-15. BlizzCon 2019 World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Deep Dive Panel Transcript. Blizzplanet. Retrieved on 2020-03-06.
- ^ MrGM 2019-11-02. Blizzcon Shadowlands Interview: Frank Kowalkowski & Steve Danuser - Titanforging/Tier Sets & More!. YouTube. Retrieved on 2020-03-06.
- ^ Exile's Reach location