Extinguishing the Idol
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 6.0.2.
45 (Requires 40)
Protect Belnistrasz while he performs the ritual to shut down the idol.
- Protect Belnistrasz while he performs the ritual to shut down the idol
Near the entrance is an idol that functions as a macabre oven for the Quilboar; they...they literally consume their abductees from the Barrens. I can shut down the idol and render it useless, but I need your aid in doing so. My plan: escort me to the idol. Once we arrive, I'll commence the ritual. I'll barely be able to communicate with you, let alone defend myself. Protect me while I shut down the idol.
Are you with me, <race>? Can I count on you to help me end their atrocities?
Belnistrasz's sudden departure has left behind a burning brazier. As you stare in to the flame, the image of a great-winged red dragon fills your mind. A more graveled version of Belnistrasz's voice speaks directly to you.
"Indeed mortals, you are the heroes I had hoped you would be. Thanks to you the butchery these beasts were perpetrating is a thing of the past. My faith in your kind has been once more renewed. Take this as a reward befitting of a hero."
This is an escort-and-protect quest/endurance battle. When you accept Belnistrasz will run towards the entrance of the instance and stop at a room close by to the zone where the idol is. He will attack the idol and you will need to protect him while he cast his spells. 7 waves of mobs will attack you. Each wave is an elite caster, elite melee and 2 non-elite boars. After 3 minutes Plaguemaw the Rotting will finally attack you. Kill it and the quest will be finished.
Due to the spawn rate of the mobs, you might not ever exit the combat phase during this battle, precluding you the opportunity to drink for mana. Ration your mana wisely. A good tip is to read what the escort NPC says to see how far along into the battle you are. One important fact is that it doesn't actually matter how many of the spawns you kill, all that matters is surviving long enough to defeat Plaguemaw the Rotting and keeping Belnistrasz alive. If you can cycle CCs and tanks properly, you can complete the quest having only killed 5 or 6 mobs.
When the quest is accepted:
- Belnistrasz says: All right, stay close. These fiends will jump right out of the shadows at you if you let your guard down.
During the ritual:
- Belnistrasz says: Okay, here we go. It's going to take about five minutes to shut this thing down through the ritual. Once I start, keep the vermin off of me or it will be the end of us all!
- Belnistrasz yells: Three minutes left -- I can feel the energy starting to build! Keep up the solid defense!
- Belnistrasz yells: Just two minutes to go! We're half way there, but don't let your guard down!
- Belnistrasz yells: One more minute! Hold on now, the ritual is about to take hold!
- Belnistrasz yells: That's it -- we made it! The ritual is set in motion, and idol fires are about to go out for good! You truly are the heroes I thought you would be!
- Belnistrasz says: Incoming <mob name> - look sharp, friends!
- Belnistrasz says: Watch out for the <mob name>!
- Belnistrasz says: Argh, I need help here!
- Belnistrasz says: You'll rue the day you crossed me, <mob name>
Be sure to click on the brazier Belnistrasz leaves behind for the reward.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Removed.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Updated.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07): The amount of waves players must fight in the Belnistrasz quest event has been reduced.