- This article is about the character biography of Falric. For information on how to defeat Falric in the Frozen Halls, see Falric (tactics).
- Not to be confused with Falric (Cycle of Hatred).
|Character class||Death Knight, Lordaeron Royal Guard (formerly)|
|Former affiliation(s)||1st Legion, Alliance of Lordaeron, Kingdom of Lordaeron|
|Occupation||Scourge Commander, Alliance Captain (formerly)|
|Location||Halls of Reflection, The Frozen Halls, Icecrown Citadel|
Captain Falric, also known as The Captain, was a royal guard who served in both the Second War and the Third War. He distinguished himself as the right hand man of Prince Arthas Menethil during the Third War. Falric is thought to be the Scourge's second death knight.
Having grown up around the province of Brill, Falric's father originally wanted him to be a farmer. His fate was to be different, however, and he enlisted in Capital City's royal guard instead. Arthas quickly befriended him, bringing him a warm drink or two when the weather was foul and Falric was on duty. Such acts of generosity on Arthas's part quickly earned Falric's genuine respect, forging a bond of companionship that was to last for decades to come.
During the course of the Second War, Falric was likely involved protecting the city against the onslaught of the Horde. The timely betrayal of Gul'dan saved the city from imminent destruction, as the Horde had to recall its forces to exact revenge.
He assisted Arthas throughout his campaign, from the investigation at Brill all the way to the icy roof of the world, Northrend itself. There, Falric managed Arthas's base camps and held the line against the forces of Mal'Ganis. He did this with the assistance of two other lieutenants under Arthas, Luc Valonforth and Marwyn.
When Arthas went in search of the ancient runeblade Frostmourne alongside Muradin Bronzebeard, Falric was left in charge of their encampment, repelling the siege by Mal'Ganis. Finally, Arthas returned with Frostmourne. When asked where Muradin was, Arthas told Falric that he was dead.
When the final battle came, Falric fought alongside Prince Arthas against the last bastion of Mal'Ganis, claiming victory.
Arthas vanished into the frozen wastes with Frostmourne. Eventually, he emerged a changed man. Falric wandered off to find Arthas, but Arthas butchered him and raised him as his first death knight. Thassarian set off to find both Falric and Arthas, but Falric murdered Thassarian and raised him as a death knight in turn. Ultimately, Arthas slaughtered an entire regiment of soldiers from the 1st Legion and raised them into undeath. Falric was one of the first death knights of the Scourge alongside Marwyn.
Ultimately, Falric and Marwyn accompanied Arthas back to Lordaeron. They stood at Arthas's side as he walked into the imperial chamber and murdered his father. It was Falric and Marwyn who had the task of slaying the citizens of the city, raising them as undead using their newly gained powers.
Wrath of the Lich King
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
- Main article: Falric (tactics)
Falric, alongside Marwyn, made his first appearance in World of Warcraft as a boss of the Halls of Reflection, third wing of the Frozen Halls. They both were killed by the adventurers of the Alliance and Horde.
- For gag quotes, see Quotes of Warcraft III/Human Alliance#Captain.
- "Marwyn! Go tell the king that Lothar and Varian are on their way. They should be here within the hour."
- "I grew up in this area, sir, and most of these farmers are the independent sort. They bring their produce and livestock in to the villages, sell it, and come home."
- "Light preserve us. I'd thought things like this were just stories to scare children."
- "Sir, if I may. I'm... well... I would rather be hacked into a thousand pieces than turn into one of them undead."
- "Sir... we're utterly surrounded. We can hold out for a while, but eventually they're going to wear us down. Who- what- we lose in numbers, they'll gain."
- "Prince Arthas? Where is Muradin? We can't hold out for much longer!"
World of Warcraft
- Main article: Falric (tactics)#Quotes
- Falric's popularity as a boss in the Frozen Halls has increased since players began joking about him talking about "pears". This derives from his quotes when he casts Despair and Defiling Horror, yelling "despair... so delicious" and "fear... so exhilarating". The jokes are based on wordplays of these quotes, twisting them into "dis'pear (this pear)... so delicious".
- Falric wears a blue version of the warrior tier 10 armor, Ymirjar Lord's Battlegear. This variant is also used by Muradin Bronzebeard, but it is not available to players.
- Though Falric was a corporeal death knight in Reign of Chaos and Death Knight, he appears as a translucent spirit in the Halls of Reflection.
- As a reference to the character division, Falric drops .
In Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, most of the captain's lines from Reign of Chaos were attributed to Falric, but an unnamed captain spoke with the Alliance Emissary. In a Wrath of the Lich King quest, that captain was named Luc Valonforth. Timolas, a galley winner, noticed that people might confuse Falric and Valonforth, and pointed out the issue to Medievaldragon of Blizzplanet. Medievaldragon contacted Christie Golden, who explained that since she finished writing the book before the release of Wrath of the Lich King, she had not known about the flashback quest involving Valonforth. Medievaldragon contacted the editors and informed them of the possible inconsistency. The editors agreed to include Valonforth in the book to ensure the clear difference between his character and that of Falric. Thus it was confirmed that the captain from Reign of Chaos was divided into separate characters, though Falric retains the most lines and appearances and is the only one playable in-game.
- Patch 3.3.0 (2009-12-08): Added.