- For general info, see fear effect. For the rogue dagger, see .
- It fled without a word... unless "AAAAAGH!" counts as a word.
- The duration of Fear is dependent on several factors.
- Fear has a potential PvE duration (versus mobs) of 20 seconds.
- Fear has a potential PvP duration (versus players) of 8 seconds.
- Fear has a damage limit. If the target takes damage equal to the limit, the Fear spell will break, regardless of the potential duration of the spell.
- Casting Fear on your minion's current target will automatically cause your minion to stop attacking that target.
- Numerous abilities and items such as PvP trinkets may allow players to break the fear effect prematurely, while others may render them immune.
- When used against mobs, Fear will cause a patrol to aggro, even when glyphed.
- Fear is subject to diminishing returns when used against players. Consequently, repeated use of fear effects upon a player within a 15 second period will reduce the duration of the effect considerably.
- Fear is the only fear effect available to players that does not have a cooldown.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Fear can no longer cause targets under the effects of a movement speed buff to move faster than normal run speed. Additionally, Fear has a new visual spell effect.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Debuff can no longer be dispelled (but can still be removed with immunities).
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Fear has a new visual spell effect.
- Hotfix (2009-04-30): " now causes Fear, and to break early when used."
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): Pets no longer break off attacks when their target is affected by Warlock Fear.
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): Will now cause creatures to flee immediately, even if they are already moving.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07): Mana cost changed to a percentage of base, which results in an increase in cost.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Players now have an increasing chance to break free of the effect, such that it is unlikely the effect will last more than 15 seconds.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Increased the chance of breaking early. Removed facing requirement.
- Patch 0.6 (2004-04-13):
- When Fear wears off, you will no longer keep running.
- Can now only be used on one target at a time.