Achievements are self-contained game goals that offer challenges, satisfy goal-oriented players, and allow others to see your accomplishments in World of Warcraft. They were added with the Wrath of the Lich King expansion. The default keybinding is Y.
World of Warcraft's achievements system features achievements covering every aspect of gameplay, including world exploration, PvE, PvP, professions, and character development; from the purely whimsical to the truly epic, there is something for everyone. Some achievements come with in-game rewards such as mounts, tabards, companions, and titles. All of these rewards are purely cosmetic.
The achievement list is expandable so additional achievements are continually added with each new World of Warcraft content update. Some of the new achievements can be awarded retroactively to players that have already met the criteria. These are mostly done for achievements that are tied to questing or item drops.
The achievements window
Beginning with patch 3.0.2, a new button was added() in the micro menu at the center of the main action bar. Clicking the button (or using the default keyboard shortcut "Y") opens up the achievements window.
The top of the window displays the total number of points received for completing achievements. Below, each achievement appears with its name, description, point value, the completion date, and a progress bar (if applicable). Some achievements expand to display a list of individual components, highlighted to show which parts the player has finished. Players can also select achievements to track as they play, similar to the quest tracker.
At the bottom of the Achievements window are the Achievements and Stats tabs. The Statistics tab shows a Statistics panel.
World of Warcraft's achievements come in several varieties. Some simply require specific actions to unlock, such as getting a haircut or defeating a member of each race in your opposing faction in PvP. Others involve a progress bar and require you to do something several times — such as give out 10 hugs. Some achievements are progressive; for example, once you complete an achievement to collect 10 vanity pets, you might next be asked to collect 25. Finally, meta achievements unlock when you complete other achievements — unlocking all World Exploration achievements (see below) unlocks a World Explorer meta achievement. Some achievements, including those that involve quests, honorable kills, items currently in your possession, skills (including professions), exploration, and reputations, are applied to your character retroactively.
To help keep track of all the different achievements you can unlock, players find the following categories in the achievements window:
- Summary: Shows the most recent achievement earned and the amount of achievements earned from each category.
- Character: These achievements tend to lean toward character advancement, such as leveling up, learning to ride mounts or gathering large amounts of gold.
- Quests: Quest-based achievements include completing a certain number of quests and completing specific quest lines. This category contains zone-specific subcategories.
- Exploration: You’ll earn achievements by exploring each zone in the game — and get meta-achievements when you fully explore a continent. This category also includes related achievements such as defeating rare mobs and discovering treasures and lore objects.
- Player vs. Player: This includes arena, battleground, and world Player vs. Player objectives.
- Dungeons & Raids: Every end boss of every raid and dungeon in the game grants its own achievement. This category also contains achievements for killing instance bosses within certain time limits, without the full amount of players present, or succeeding in certain other special conditions.
- Professions: Advancing to each tier of mastery in a profession earns you an achievement, and there are specific achievements for secondary skills.
- Reputation: This set of achievements includes attaining exalted reputation with each faction in the game.
- World Events: Seasonal events such as the Midsummer Festival, the Lunar Festival, and Hallows' End have specific achievements of their own. Brawler's Guild and Argent Tournament achievements are also found here.
- Pet Battles: Introduced in Mists of Pandaria, these involve collecting, fighting with, and levelling companions, through the Pet Battle System.
- Collections: Introduced in Warlords of Draenor, these include Mounts, Tabards and items added to the Toy Box.
- Expansion Features: Introduced in Battle for Azeroth, these include achievements tied to expansion features, such as Garrison, Class Hall, and Island Expedition achievements.
- Legacy: Introduced in Warlords of Draenor, this category contains all of the deprecated achievements. They are no longer obtainable and award no achievement points.
- Feats of Strength: Accomplishments that players may find difficult if not impossible to complete, including many that are no longer achievable in game, such as those granted only during certain special events. These are not worth any points and are not shown on the summary section.
- Under other tabs
- Guild: Introduced in Cataclysm, these are credited to the guild as a whole rather than to the individual.
- Contains many of the same subcategories as seen above.
- Statistics: This contains your character's statistics of your overall game time.
It’s great to be able to see your own achievements — but it’s even better to let the world know what you’ve accomplished. By right-clicking other players and selecting the appropriate option, you can compare your achievements to theirs. Every time you earn a new achievement, your accomplishment is announced to your guild and everyone in your immediate vicinity — and the custom achievement animation and sound effect are unmistakable. Also, your achievements are viewable on the Armory, allowing you to track and show off your accomplishments via the web.
New Battle.net users cannot view the Achievements panel until they've reached level 10 on one character. If they have at least one character with an achievement, all the other characters may access the Achievements panel.
However, plenty of achievements are obtainable prior to level 10 (such as opening an account bound companion like ), and earning one will unlock the achievement interface no matter what level.
It is also possible to open the Achievement window without any achievements by using the following macro:
/script AchievementFrame_LoadUI(); /script AchievementFrame_ToggleAchievementFrame(stats);
- User interface
Achievements, since Legion
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17):
- Class Hall category renamed to Legion Class Hall.
- Scenarios category renamed to Pandaria Scenarios.
- Added Expansion Features category.
- The subcategories are: Wintergrasp, Tol Barad, Pandaria Scenarios, Proving Grounds, Draenor Garrison, Legion Class Hall, Heart of Azeroth, Island Expeditions, War Effort.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Undocumented changes.
- Most achievements are now working with the account-wide system that will share achievements among all characters that are on the same realm.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.