The remote plains of Desolace were once home to a unique breed of horse too proud and wild to countenance riders. Yet it is precisely this willful conceit that enticed the elders of the Shadow Council to bind these majestic steeds to their service with dark rituals too horrific to perform by any but the most depraved of warlocks. Although they retain their imposing forms, these newly-christened felsteeds have become twisted with infernal energies, treading flames and breathing fire. Where their eyes once shone with exuberance and a zest for life, they now burn with hatred for the warlocks who corrupted them and anguish at the passing of the lives they once knew.
A demonic hollow in the east of Desolace, Shadowbreak Ravine, is home to a fair number of Shadow Council members. The ravine has several buildings, including a few stables that house felsteeds, most likely to be bound to the will of Shadow Council warlocks.
Some felsteeds were stabled in Shadowfang Keep.
- Burning Blade Nightmare - Desolace
- Fel Steed - Shadowfang Keep
- Illusionary Nightmare - Ashenvale (removed)
- Shadow Charger - Shadowfang Keep (changed to a skeletal horse in Cataclysm)
- Stampeding Felsteed - Broken Shore
Felsteeds are also used by the Xorothian Fel Knights.
In the RPG
Notes & trivia
- In the Warcraft III alpha, the death knights were originally riding spectral mounts called Nightmares that looked like clouds of mist instead of skeletal horses.
- Dreadsteeds can be found under the directory entitled "Nightmares" in the World of Warcraft files. The subdirectory "Gorgon101" is also found in the World of Warcraft files related to dreadsteeds. Gorgons are monsters from Manual of Monsters Appendix Three, however the validity of the source is disputed.
Warlock only mounts:
Other similar horse mounts:
- Patch 0.9: Nightmare renamed to .