|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 5.0.4.
Flame Orb is an ability for mages added in Cataclysm, learned at 81. Casting the spell launches an Orb in a straight line in the direction the mage is facing. The orb will first move at fast speed until it encounters a target and will then slow down and fire at the closest target in range.
- increases damage by 5/10/15%.
- adds an explosion at the end of the spell's duration (or sooner, if the orb doesn't find a valid target within ~5 seconds).
- converts the spell into a Frostfire Orb, dealing Frostfire damage and applying a short chill effect.
- The Orb will pull mobs not engaged in combat if they're closer than other mobs.
- The Orb will break any crowd control spells that are not .
- Because of pathing issues in many areas like Maloriak's Laboratory or the Platform of Siamat, the orb may despawn as soon as it is summoned, wasting the spell entirely.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Removed.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Is now replaced with in the Spellbook and action bar when a mage selects the Frostfire Orb talent. This is purely a UI change.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Now ignores critters.
- Hotfix (2011-01-03): "Flame Orb and no longer break any version of Polymorph."
- Hotfix (2010-12-21): "Flame Orb is now benefiting from Clearcasting procs, is not costing any mana when using the buff, and removing the buff correctly when used."
- Hotfix (2010-11-24): "Flame Orb will no longer attack PvP-flagged enemies unless the mage is already flagged for PvP combat."
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Added.