||The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 5.0.4.
- This includes items and quests that can no longer be obtained or are now deprecated.
- The in-game information in this article is kept purely for historical purposes.
Flametongue Totem is a totem that increases spell power of party and raid members within 30 yards. It affects both damage and healing.
Flametongue Totem is a Fire totem, and thus cannot be used at the same time as another fire totem. Like all shaman totems it only has 5 hit points and is easily targeted and destroyed. When used in a raid group it will affect everyone in the raid who is in range.
It's effect is inferior to [Totemic Wrath] and doesn't stack with it. Ergo, if you or another Elemental Shaman in your group have Totemic Wrath, there is no use in dropping this fire totem.
[Totemic Focus] reduces the casting cost of the totem by 25%. [Mental Quickness] reduces the casting cost by 75%.
Tips and tactics
Some abilities, like [Healing Stream Totem] and [Earth Shield], have long durations and use the caster's spell power at the time of casting. By placing a Flametongue Totem before using such an ability, it effectively gains the bonus from the Flametongue Totem for the whole duration, while allowing the caster to move out of range or to use a different fire totem. This can be especially effective when used to boost Earth Shield before a fight in PvP.
Although this is a "Blazing Elemental Totem" in the TCG
, the artwork is used to represent a Searing Totem in Hearthstone
- The Flametongue Totem appears as a basic card for the Shaman class in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "Totemsmiths like to use the rarest woods for their totems. There are even rumors of totems made of Ironbark Protectors."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Removed.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Now increases spell power by 6%.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Totem functionality completely reworked. Now grants spell power instead of causing melee attacks to deal fire damage. Totem duration increased from 2 to 5 minutes. Totem made raid wide.
- Patch 1.11.0 (2006-06-20): Totem duration increased to 2 minutes.
- Patch 1.5.0 (2005-06-07):
- Fixed a bug where Flametongue Totems had incorrect level caps when cast by higher level shaman. All totems should now be summoned at the level of the caster.
- Tooltip updated to clarify that only the main-hand weapon is enchanted.
- Patch 0.10 (2004-09-18): Moved to level 28, now always procs, but damage depends on weapon speed.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Replacements adjusted.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Moved to level 26. Damage reduced.