A forgotten one is a massive entity related to the Old Gods. The only known was encountered and killed by Arthas Menethil and Anub'arak in the Inner Kingdom of Azjol-Nerub shortly after the Third War. It commanded the n'raqi group called Faceless Ones. It was described as "an unfathomable horror of a long forgotten time" and had been released from the dark below by the earthquakes that were being caused by Illidan Stormrage's sorcery in his attempt to destroy the Frozen Throne. During the combat it also summoned tentacles.
In the RPG
In Azjol-Nerub, forgotten ones seethe below, eager to return to the world above. The being at the Master's Glaive in Ashenvale is described as a "dead" forgotten one. Forgotten ones are categorized as aberrations in an index despite lacking stats elsewhere.
- In the main temple of Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom, Herald Volazj is surrounded by three normal faceless ones called Forgotten Ones.
- C'Thun bears a resemblance with the forgotten ones.
- drops from Herald Volazj.
- Concept art for General Vezax is called "Forgotten One". This may be related to Volazj, who is flanked by normal faceless called that name.
- Deathwing's final form, 'the Madness of Deathwing' shares some similarity to these creatures in that it also has tentacles.
- It is possible that there was more than one forgotten one in Azjol-Nerub. as Anub'arak pointed out that the forgotten one fought by Arthas was but one of the creatures by saying it was "a forgotten one".
- Chris Metzen in BlizzCast 12 stated that Blizzard "had old gods in Northrend in Frozen Throne". It is unknown what he was talking about, but it may have been the Forgotten One.
- Both instances of an explicitly labeled forgotten one in the RPG have been later turned into faceless ones (Volazj and Soggoth).
- Il'gynoth could be a forgotten one.
- Due to their appearances, Go'rath, Shu'ma, Iso'rath, and the Maw of Destruction could be forgotten ones.
"Forgotten One" concept art, used for the C'Thrax.