Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
A forgotten one is a massive entity related to the Old Gods. The only known specimen was encountered and killed by Arthas Menethil and Anub'arak in the Inner Kingdom of Azjol-Nerub shortly after the Third War. It commanded the n'raqi group called Faceless Ones and was described as "an unfathomable horror of a long forgotten time". It had been released from the dark below by the earthquakes that were being caused by Illidan Stormrage's sorcery in his attempt to destroy the Frozen Throne and emerged from the ice to block Arthas and Anub'arak's passage to Icecrown. In combat, it summoned large tentacles and used fire spells against the Scourge forces. Upon being defeated, the creature's death stirred the depths of the Old Kingdom and caused the caverns to begin crumbling in on themselves.
In the RPG
In Azjol-Nerub, forgotten ones seethe below, eager to return to the world above. The being at the Master's Glaive in Ashenvale is described as a "dead" forgotten one. Forgotten ones are categorized as aberrations in an index despite lacking stats elsewhere.
- "Forgotten One" has since been used as a name for various mobs of other Old God-related races:
- Forgotten Ones, faceless ones that accompany Herald Volazj in Ahn'kahet: The Old Kingdom.
- Forgotten Ones, faceless ones that spawn from the Maw of Shu'ma during the Yor'sahj the Unsleeping encounter in Dragon Soul.
- Forgotten Ones, merciless ones in Uldir.
- Forgotten Ones, faceless ones that can be encountered on Island Expeditions.
- In addition to being surrounded by "Forgotten Ones", Herald Volazj can also drop .
- C'Thun resembles a forgotten one.
- Concept art for General Vezax is called "Forgotten One". This may be related to Volazj, who is more of less in the location of the Warcraft III boss and is flanked by normal faceless called that name, or may indicate that the C'Thraxxi race was originally planned to be called "forgotten ones".
- It is possible that there was more than one forgotten one in Azjol-Nerub, as Anub'arak pointed out that the forgotten one fought by Arthas was but one of the creatures by saying it was "a forgotten one".
- In episode 12 of BlizzCast, Chris Metzen stated that Blizzard "had old gods in Northrend in Frozen Throne". It is unknown what he was talking about, but it may have been the Forgotten One.
- Soggoth the Slitherer, who was labeled as a forgotten one in the Warcraft RPG, was later instead shown to be a faceless one.
- Due to their appearances and similarities, being entities under the earth seeking to emerge, Go'rath, Shu'ma, Iso'rath, and the Maw of Destruction could be forgotten ones.
- Il'gynoth could be a forgotten one.
"Forgotten One" concept art, used for the C'Thraxxi.
- ^ a b The Forgotten Ones
- ^ Into the Shadow Web Caverns
- ^ Ascent to the Upper Kingdom
- ^ Lands of Mystery, pg. 91
- ^ a b Dark Factions, pg. 145
- ^ Monster Guide, pg. 212
- ^ BlizzCast Episode 12 (2009-12-08). Retrieved on 2019-06-11. “In order to leverage a lot of these cool ideas we had even as far back as Warcraft III, and just ideas that had popped as the franchise had shaped itself since WoW's debut, you know just building WoW, we came up with all sorts of weird stuff that did not exist. Ahn'Qiraj and crazy old gods, well actually, we had old gods in Northrend in Frozen Throne...”