Freezing Trap is a level 16 Survival hunter trap. It causes the first enemy to approach the trap to be incapacitated, preventing them from taking any action for up to 1 minute, although any damage caused will break the ice.
This trap when used can be placed at the desired location.
- Being a magical effect, it can be removed by using Dispel, or .
- Some monsters are immune to this trap.
- Freezing Trap has a PvP duration of only 8 seconds, and is subject to diminishing returns.
- Mages can out of this effect, and Paladins can use .
Tips and tactics
- Freezing Trap is good for crowd control. It works on any type of mob, unlike some other forms of CC that require a specific type.
- Freezing Trap is also good for escaping enemies or hostile players.
- Freezing Trap can be used to "reset" the battle, allowing the Hunter to return to max range and have another free shot at the Incapacitated mob.
- Freezing trap is also a great tool for taming beasts. Set a trap between you and the beast you want to tame and then begin the Taming, caus. This way, you'll hardly be scratched at all during the taming process.
- This is a Survival hunter's main crowd control ability. It has the advantage of working on any type of mob, whereas abilities such as and are limited depending on the mob type.
- If the mob is a non-caster ranged attacker, you will have to use to get them into your trap. First, put down a trap behind a corner or an obstacle. After the tank pull, Hatchet Toss the mob you want to trap. Then run and hide behind the corner or obstacle immediately, so that the mob cannot "see" you. If done correctly, it will run to the corner or obstacle and get trapped.
- Holding aggro on an incapacitated mob will make the mob much easier to retrap when it breaks in addition to ensuring that the mob will not chase after a healer. This can easily be accomplished with , which generates hate without breaking the trap. This can become important during long fights in which the target must remain trapped for an extended period. Having a Focus macro will enable you to use Distracting Shot without having to switch targets, allowing you to keep aggro without the hassle and possible danger of switching targets in mid-fight.
- Freezing trap is incredibly useful as a means of escape, especially in PvP. If you are rooted, snared, or generally outmatched, you can lay a Freezing Trap and run. If you first, you can summon your mount to aid you in this; if that's not possible, can help you get some distance as well.
- Lay a Freezing Trap and then stand in front of it as a safety measure in case there is a stealthed person behind you.
- Druids who get caught inside a Freezing Trap cannot shift out to break the trap.
- Freezing Trap is a common Hunter spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: ""Dang, that's cold." - appropriate response to Freezing Trap, or a mean joke."
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2016-12-06): "Freezing Trap will no longer cause the target's next cast to fail in certain cases."
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Now learned at level 16 (was 28).
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now available only to Survival.
- Hotfix (2015-01-08): "Freezing Trap now has a trigger radius of 3 yards (down from 5 yards)."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Now has a new appearance.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Freezing Trap now lasts 1 minute and hunters can have multiple traps active. Talents enhancements also adjusted.
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): Freezing Trap now shares the same duration in pvp as other long-duration forms of crowd control (ie: polymorph, fear, sap).
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Visual changed.