, , , , , , , , Tunnel of Ice
- "Wearing heavy plate is taxing enough without having to lug around another eighty pounds of ice." —Warrax
Frostbolt is the primary filler spell for Frost mages, who rely on it not only for damage, but its unique interactions with the spec. At appropriate levels, each Frostbolt cast has a chance to proc two separate passive abilities, and , as well as generate an Icicle. Frostbolt is also well known for its chill effect, snaring targets hit by 50%. Its short cast time makes it possible to keep this debuff up on multiple targets. With a 40 yard range, Frostbolt grants frost mages a strong form of gap control, as well as a means to prevent enemies at distance from escaping.
Frostbolt passively gains the following improvements:
- Frostbolt is a basic Mage spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "It is customary to yell "Chill out!" or "Freeze!" or "Ice ice, baby!" when you play this card."
- Frostbolt is one of Jaina's Basic Abilities in Heroes of the Storm.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): Frostbolt now snares targets for 8 seconds, down from 15 seconds.
- Patch 7.3.0 (2017-08-29): Frostbolt has received a new spell animation.
- Patch 7.1.5 (2017-01-10): Damage reduced by 17%.
- Patch 7.1.0 (2016-10-25): Damage increased by 5%. Additionally, Frostbolt now snares targets by 50%, up from 30%. This change was already active in PvP combat from a previous hotfix.
- Hotfix (2016-10-13): "Frostbolt no longer deals increased damage in PvP (was a multiplier of +10%)."
- Hotfix (2016-09-23): "
- Frostbolt damage increased by 8%.
- Frostbolt now reduces movement speed by 50% in PvP.
- Frostbolt damage is now increased by 10% in PvP (down from 20%)."
- Hotfix (2016-08-26): "
- Frostbolt damage increased to 185% of Spell Power (was 170%).
- Frost Bolt (Frost) deals 20% additional damage in PvP."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Damage reduced by 5%. Now reduces movement speed by 30%, down from 50%.
- Patch 6.2.0 (2015-06-23): Now deals 20% more damage.
- Hotfix (2014-10-30): "Damage has been reduced by 20%."
- Hotfix (2014-10-17): "Damage increased by 20%."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Frostbolt can no longer be used to heal the mage's Water Elemental.
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Now deals 10% less damage and no longer increases the damage of any spells. The damage for those spells have been increased instead.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now a Frost specialization ability. Movement speed reduction increased from 40% to 50%, and duration increased from 9 to 15 sec. Now also causes the target to take an additional 8% damage from Frostbolt and Ice Lance, and Water Elemental's Waterbolt, stacking up to 3 times.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): Damage has been increased by 10%.
- Patch 3.3.3 (2010-03-23): Spell power scaling on this spell has been increased by approximately 5%.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Damage on rank 12 was increased slightly to ensure it did more damage than rank 11 at all levels.
- Patch 1.6.0 (2005-07-12): Targets that are immune to movement slowing effects will no longer be affected by Frostbolt's movement slowing effect. Damage will still be caused.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Cast time reduced, damage and mana cost reduced accordingly, slowing effect reduced.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Duration increased with each rank.