- "Gelbin" redirects here. For the blood elf, see Gelbin (blood elf). For his Battle of Dazar'alor boss encounter, see High Tinker Mekkatorque (tactics).
King of Gnomes
|Former affiliation(s)||Alliance of Lordaeron|
|Occupation||King of the gnomes, High Tinker of Gnomeregan, Ruler of the cities of Gnomeregan and Mechagon, Inventor|
|Companion(s)||Elgin Clickspring and Fizzi Tinkerbow (assistants), Tread Sparknozzle and Prince Erazmin (advisors), Sicco Thermaplugg (former advisor), Mekkatorque's Mechanostrider (mount)|
- “You never really understood, did you? It is our loyalty to our friends that provides our truest, greatest strength... My friends. It is a power that numbers cannot match.”
- — Gelbin confronting Sicco
Gelbin Mekkatorque is the current king of the gnomes and High Tinker of Gnomeregan. He was previously the elected leader of gnomekind, though as one of the perks of his station, he liked to style himself as "King of Gnomes". Gelbin has been at the helm of the gnome race during some of its most difficult and trying times. Since his title was an elected one, the fact that he held his position throughout such hardship is a testament to the love his people have for him. A brilliant inventor, Gelbin rose quickly to prominence among the meritocratic gnomes with his innovative designs and creative problem-solving skills. He built the very first functioning mechanostrider, assisted in the development of the dwarven siege engine, and was instrumental in the creation of the Deeprun Tram running from Ironforge to Stormwind City.
Although one wouldn’t know it from looking at him, the loss of Gnomeregan weighs heavily on the high tinker. He was unprepared for the invasion that swept through his beloved city, and he was betrayed by a trusted advisor who convinced him to react hastily, resulting in unnecessary deaths. Now Mekkatorque’s brilliant mind has taken on a surgical focus with one single outcome: the retaking of Gnomeregan.
- 1 Biography
- 1.1 Background
- 1.2 Second War and aftermath
- 1.3 Fall of Gnomeregan
- 1.4 World of Warcraft
- 1.5 Wrath of the Lich King
- 1.6 Cataclysm
- 1.7 Wolfheart
- 1.8 Tides of War
- 1.9 Mists of Pandaria
- 1.10 War Crimes
- 1.11 Legion
- 1.12 Before the Storm
- 1.13 Battle for Azeroth
- 2 Locations
- 3 Abilities
- 4 Quests
- 5 Inventions
- 6 Personality and traits
- 7 Quotes
- 8 Notes and trivia
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Videos
- 11 Patch changes
- 12 See also
- 13 References
- 14 External links
A young Gelbin Mekkatorque graduated from Gearshaft University in Gnomeregan, and was gifted with a pair of mithril-rimmed lenses from his friend and fellow graduate, Sicco Thermaplugg, which he wore at almost all times. He rose to fame in Gnomeregan after his first - and arguably most popular - invention; the revolutionizing traveling device called the Mechanostrider, which provided an effective method of personal transport, finally putting the gnomish race on par with the humans and their chargers. From then on, Mekkatorque continued his work, pumping out invention after invention, each one benefiting and furthering the gnomish race and their technology. His inventions included the gyromatic micro-adjustor, and the repair bot.
Mekkatorque was known for his practicality and his personal quarters were fittingly practical. His creative way of thinking could be represented physically by the very hallways in sector 17; a library connected to the drafting room connected to simple foundry connected to the assembly chamber. He had a habit of often getting caught up in his inventive process, spending night after night brainstorming ideas; to the point where most of his resting was done within his working space. His skill as an engineer was unquestionable, having literally earned so many awards that his apprentices asked for him to have a trophy case made in order to store them all.
Second War and aftermath
During the Second War, the Old Horde took control of Dun Morogh. The Gnomeregan gnomes and Ironforge dwarves successfully defended themselves, and eventually, with the help of the Alliance of Lordaeron freed their home. Mekkatorque kept a troll-made chair as a souvenir in sector 17 from the first gnomish-assisted foray into a Horde encampment in the Second War.
Following the victory, the rebuilding of Stormwind City began and being allied, the dwarves and gnomes decided to help. However, it was evident that travel to and from the north was difficult and slow, as such Magni Bronzebeard requested a faster solution from Azeroth's most esteemed engineer at the time, Gelbin Mekkatorque. Tinker Mekkatorque, in his office at sector 17 prepared the schematics for the Deeprun Tram, even creating a scale mock-up model of the Tram out of pie tins. Soon Mekkatorque would take part in the construction of his ambitious subterranean train project, successfully creating a quicker method to travel from Ironforge to Stormwind City. Gelbin kept Turalyon informed about updates or problems. Once, he even informed him about a problem of rats.
At some point before the Third War, the gnomish electorate chose Mekkatorque to lead their nation as their High Tinker, following his various technological triumphs and their benefits to the gnomish race. For many, he would be viewed as a role model for what the gnomes looked for in a High Tinker. Mekkatorque's best friend, Sicco Thermaplugg, would soon rise up the ranks like Mekkatorque had and gained favor among the intellectual elite, eventually winning the seat of chief advisor to his friend, the High Tinker. A brooding but imaginative engineer, Thermaplugg served as Mekkatorque's chief advisor for many years, continuing to covet the role of High Tinker with jealousy that would slowly eat away his sanity.
Prior to year 18 when the Alliance of Lordaeron splintered, High Tinker Mekkatorque, along with some other leaders, reaffirmed that the gnomes would not leave the Alliance of Lordaeron.
Fall of Gnomeregan
Prior to the Third War, Sicco Thermaplugg and Gelbin had been designing the prototype for the dwarven siege engine, eventually perfecting it sometime during the war. While the gnomes continued to supply their allies in Lordaeron with their machinery and weapons, the gnomes had taken very little part in the war. When the Burning Legion invaded during the Third War, Gelbin declined to send aid to the Alliance in the form of gnomish personnel, much to their allies' surprise. When the war was over, however, it was revealed as to why the gnomes had not aided the Alliance.
Dwarven digging operations around Uldaman awoke the foul race of primitive creatures called troggs, which were attracted to the gnomish machinery and built tunnels toward Gnomeregan. On the onset of the Third War, when the kingdom of Lordaeron fell to the Scourge, the brutish troggs broke through the lower reaches of the city, invading from the depths of the earth.
Mekkatorque was unprepared for an invasion of his own city, but knowing that the Alliance was already busy with the Burning Legion invasion, Gelbin tried to find a way to handle this subterranean invasion without the pre-occupied Alliance. The brilliant leader believed that protecting Lordaeron from the Scourge was of the utmost importance, so he kept the trogg invasion a secret. For five years, the gnomes secretly fought the troggs but were overrun. The troggs simply dug around their defenses and breached into their engineering quarters.
Mekkatorque approached this invasion as he would any other problem. He remained fearless and calm, relying on the intelligence of his people. Turning to his advisers, his top adviser and friend Mekgineer Sicco Thermaplugg put forward a potential plan, releasing a toxic gas that would kill the troggs as they invaded. Sicco had claimed to have tested the radiation levels of the gas claiming to have evidence of its terminal effects on the troggs and had shown Gelbin falsified numbers on its density and volumetric weight. According to Thermaplug's calculations, the gas would stay in the quarantined thoroughfares and lower sections of Gnomeregan, poisoning the invaders as they emerged from the depths while the gnomes waited safely sealed away in the upper urban tunnels, kept away from the population by Thermaplugg's Kleen Wind Domiclic Filters. The urgency to deal with the invasion, and the confidence his trusted friend showed led Mekkatorque to believe it was the best course of action and ordered the gnomes to open the pressure valves of their giant, grinding machines and released toxic radiation throughout the lower levels of the city.
Mekkatorque could only watch as the plan failed catastrophically. Rather than kill the troggs, most shambled through the gas, becoming enraged as they were irradiated. The filters failed, going straight through them into the homes of Gnomes, killing them as they waited in their homes thinking they were safe. Mekkatorque was left beside himself with guilt, the casualties of the invasion already high, the gas causing casualties to skyrocket to eighty percent of the population.
Unable to take any more deaths or hold back the Troggs, Mekkatorque was forced to swallow his pride and lead the surviving gnome population out of Gnomeregan to seek refuge with their dwarven neighbors in Ironforge, all the while forced to carry the weight of the dead on his shoulders. During the evacuation of Gnomeregan, Mekkatorque was horrified to discover that Thermaplugg had, in fact, betrayed the gnomish race. Thermaplugg's desire to be High Tinker had driven him mad with envy over the years, driving him to plot against Mekkatorque. His plan was to frame the High Tinker by letting thirty percent of the population die to the gas, then swoop in and save the day and dismiss the troggs; ensuring him the position and Gelbin with the blame of the many deaths. However, the gas was much deadlier than Thermaplugg anticipated; wiping out eighty percent of the Gnomish population rather than thirty. With such a high amount of deaths, the Gnomes rallied desperately to Mekkatorque, much to Thermaplugg's dismay.
King Magni Bronzebeard granted them asylum and cleared out an entire district of his city for them to reside in, which Mekkatorque was already familiar with because of his previous work with the Deeprun Tram. The gnomes constructed Tinker Town here. Mekkatorque had only truly found how mad his old friend had become following the evacuation when it was discovered that Thermaplugg remained behind, and the details of his underhanded plans slowly became public, his plans and plots discovered.
World of Warcraft
Gelbin Mekkatorque, now located in Tinker Town of Ironforge and having been High Tinker for seven years continued to lead the Gnomeregan Exiles in their new home, aiding in Alliance operations across Azeroth and at the same time devising a plan for retaking their home city, watching as his people's seclusion slowly dissipated as his people intermingled with other members of the Alliance. While Gelbin originally assumed his former friend had perished, voyages and observations of the city proved otherwise, as well as revealing the disturbing fate of some of the Gnomes who were left behind. Those who survived mutated into diseased Leper gnomes, the disease warping their minds, which led to a now mutated and insane Thermaplugg taking over the leper gnomes, ruling them with an iron fist of madness.
Sentencing Sicco Thermaplugg to death for treason, Mekkatorque enlisted the aid of various Alliance adventurers to venture into the radioactive city and take down the betrayer, returning reporting the death of Thermaplugg, only for Mekkatorque to later find out it was just a clever facsimile devised by Thermaplugg. It became clear that retaking Gnomeregan would take more than just a small team, rather a large force of gnomish and Alliance might.
Wrath of the Lich King
When the Lich King awoke, he sent his Scourge into all corners of Azeroth. To defeat the Plague of Undeath and necropolises, members of the Church of the Holy Light traveled to Shattrath and created an artifact of the Naaru's Light. Gnomish adventurers of the Alliance delivered it to Gelbin Mekkatorque to destroy the Scourge.
After years of planning, Gelbin Mekkatorque put his plan into action at last and launched Operation: Gnomeregan, calling support from not only the gnomish people but the Alliance as well. Under Mekkatorque's strategic leadership, the Gnomeregan Exiles and Alliance comrades were priming their forces at Steelgrill's Depot, the staging grounds for the Gnomeregan offensive and the production site of the gnome's mechano-tanks. After the preparations were made, Gelbin led a full assault to wrest control of Gnomeregan's airfield, setting up a surface command post, and ultimately underwent a raid into the tunnels of lower Gnomeregan.
Thermaplugg, however, had one final trick: once the Alliance had reached the center of the city he unveiled the Irradiator 3000. Unable to disarm the bomb in time, Gelbin was forced to recall the forces and hastily teleport to the surface, sealing off Gnomeregan while the irradiation cleared out; planning to continue the assault once that had happened. Despite being unable to fully retake the city, Mekkatorque was happy with the successful first maneuver and the knowledge that Thermaplugg had been dealt a blow he'd not recover from soon. The gnomes had carved out a tenuous foothold in New Tinkertown, near the techno-city's gates.
As the push to retake Gnomeregan continued, Gelbin was eager to inspect his old living quarters of sector 17, which was recently retaken. Finding it somewhat odd as to how easily the section was retaken, Gelbin was caught up in his own emotions, remembering the past and the fall of Gnomeregan. After years of having to put a strong image for his people, Gelbin finally let his emotions out, weeping over the loss of his people; feeling somewhat better after doing so. As he prepared to leave, he found his mithril spectacles on the arm of his troll chair, left behind during the rush to evacuate the city. Picking them up, he realized too late that it was a trap set out by Thermaplugg as a tripwire was tied to the glasses.
Having ordered his guards away so he could inspect his old quarters, and having forgotten his weapon Wrenchcalibur, Gelbin was surrounded by three Troggs as Thermaplugg gloated via intercom over Mekkatorque's falling for his trap. Through careful manipulation and usage of his surroundings, Gelbin successfully dispatched the troggs unarmed. Not willing to allow Gelbin to escape after all this time, Thermaplugg arrived to deal with Mekkatorque personally. Yet in the end, he too was outwitted by the High Tinkerer. Having repurposed the trap's trigger mechanism to take out the troggs, Gelbin released a tensely wound spring that had been holding up more weight than it should have been, which resulted in Thermaplugg being cut in half, losing his legs in the process. Thermaplug did survive though due to his destroyed battle suit cauterizing his wounds, likely with minimal blood loss. Gelbin decided to leave him for dead so that his suffering would be prolonged, citing it as an appropriate punishment for his crimes against the gnomes. He decided that if the rats or the troggs didn't kill Thermaplugg, then he'd think of no one better to lead the troggs than one of their own.
High Tinker Mekkatorque was present during the Elemental Unrest meeting. During the meeting, he mentioned that the large amount of seismic activity could endanger Ironforge.
Following the Cataclysm, Gelbin Mekkatorque returned his attention to Gnomeregan which had aired out. He can now be found under a tent at New Tinkertown, the portions of Gnomeregan's surface reclaimed during the battle against Thermaplugg. Mekkatorque sent S.A.F.E., under Nevin Twistwrench's command, to retrieve gnome survivors. Mekkatorque personally assembled a team of class trainers to prepare the young evacuees for battle, and made a habit of meeting most of the survivors himself. The Gnomeregan Exiles were slowly reclaiming portions of Gnomeregan, such as the Old Dormitory. Mekkatorque's units fought against Thermaplugg's irradiated gnome forces, who were bent on keeping the gnomes from rebuilding and finishing their reclamation of Gnomeregan. The High Tinker then hired Jessup McCree and his demolitions team to close off the trogg advance, and eventually led a combined gnome and dwarven force in defeating one of Thermaplugg's most loyal henchmen, Razlo Crushcog.
High King Varian Wrynn invited Gelbin Mekkatorque to represent Gnomeregan at a meeting in Darnassus and deliver their vote whether or not the kingdom of Gilneas should be accepted into the Alliance. When he arrived, he had a little argument with Drukan. They soon made peace during the banquet, when he was approached by Drukan and had a private talk with him. Mekkatorque voted to accept Gilneas into the Alliance.
Tides of War
When word of the fall of Theramore reached the rest of the Alliance Gelbin Mekkatorque personally journeyed to Stormwind City. Upon arriving he and other Alliance leaders and representatives began planning a counterattack against the Horde's naval blockade of Kalimdor. Over the course of the meeting, Mekkatorque quietly asked if anyone had been to Theramore following its destruction. He was then informed by Prince Anduin that Jaina Proudmoore herself had been there. While voicing joy at her survival Gelbin couldn't help but wonder why Jaina wasn't helping them in strategizing. He was informed by King Varian Wrynn that she was pursuing her own methods.
Mists of Pandaria
Mekkatorque and Overspark participated in the Siege of Orgrimmar, Mekkatorque showing up in the Underhold to help Alliance adventurers against War Master Kragg and the Kor'kron guards. He was present when the leaders of the Alliance and Horde met after Garrosh' defeat.
The High Tinker vs War Master Kragg.
Gelbin was invited to attend the trial of Garrosh Hellscream in the Temple of the White Tiger alongside the other Alliance leaders. When the Horde and Alliance leaders met at the temple a few days prior to the start of the trial, Jastor Gallywix argued that Garrosh should be tried by his peers so he could make compensation to those he had wronged. Gelbin laughed humorlessly and retorted that Gallywix meant monetary compensation. Jastor replied that that would be an acceptable form.
With the events about to unfold on the Broken Shore, High Tinker Mekkatorque commanded his people to get outfitted and ready for battle — any way they know-how, leading to the creation of gnomish hunters. Mekkatorque and a contingent of Gnomeregan Tinkerers accompanied King Varian Wrynn's vanguard on the assault on the Broken Shore. Mekkatorque fought at the Broken Shore on his own steam armor and used it to call in air support from the Alliance gunship Skyfire at King Varian's command. During the Battle for the Broken Shore, the Alliance forces were left vulnerable by the Horde's unexpected retreat. The Alliance tried to retreat on the Skyfire but was impeded by a summoned fel reaver. Through his steam armor, Gelbin caught a falling Stormwind soldier by their cape. The Alliance forces watched helplessly as King Varian Wrynn sacrificed himself by distracting the Burning Legion forces so that the Alliance forces could fly to safety. In the aftermath of the battle, Mekkatorque attended the funeral of Varian Wrynn.
When an Alliance player reaches Prestige Rank 2, Gelbin can be found in Stormwind Keep alongside other notable leaders of the Alliance. During , he is present at the ceremony hosted by King Anduin Wrynn that congratulates the character for their battles against the Horde, following their receiving of the from the King, as well as an artifact appearance.
Before the Storm
Gelbin was present in a meeting with Magni Bronzebeard in Ironforge. He was accompanied by his advisor Captain Tread Sparknozzle. He wondered whether Azeroth could heal herself. He also received Azerite samples to study and chose Sapphronetta Flivvers to go to Silithus.
Battle for Azeroth
From his airship The Strider Mekkatorque led an attack on the Horde's Azerite mining operations in Drustvar on Kul Tiras, using an army of remote-controlled robots. Jastor Gallywix and his G.M.O.D led the Horde's reprisal, and then confronted Mekkatorque and his own mech suit in the sky only for the G.M.O.D to run out of fuel, giving Mekkatorque the chance to knock Gallywix out of the sky. Once the G.M.O.D was operational again, Gallywix attacked The Strider above Tiragarde Sound to draw out Mekkatorque. As they fought The Strider began to fall apart and so Mekkatorque fled, leaving Gallywix to wonder how to break through his mech's Proto Layered Optimal Titan Armor.
Tides of Vengeance
Mekkatorque sailed with the Alliance navy during their assault on Dazar'alor. Once a majority of the Horde's forces were lured to Nazmir, the Alliance navy began their invasion. The Golden Fleet sought to impede the Alliance navy's path, but the Alliance had secretly planted explosives on their ships beforehand. Just as Gelbin was about to remotely detonate the explosives with his remote detonator machine, Gelbin's floor collapsed from the impact of one of the Golden Fleet's ballistae missiles. Gelbin fell below the deck of Jaina's ship and pulled himself out of the rubble so he could rush to re-position his remote detonator. Once the remote detonator was upright again, Gelbin pushed the detonator button and blew up the entire Golden Fleet stationed there, allowing the Alliance navy to invade Dazar'alor with little resistance. Gelbin was saddened to hear that Grong was turned into a Revenant by Bwonsamdi's magic and urged Alliance adventurers to be merciful while putting him down. During the Siege of Zuldazar, Mekkatorque dueled Gallywix in his steam armor, once again defeating him, and proceeds to serve as a raid boss for Horde players. He was seriously injured during the battle but escaped using an escape pod, which was tended to by Elgin Clickspring and another gnomish engineer. However the escape pod placed him in suspended animation, and neither Jaina Proudmoore nor Stormwind's priests know how to help him recover from his injuries, while Halford Wyrmbane and Nathanos Blightcaller referred to him as being dead.
Visions of N'zoth
Although he was still alive, Gelbin's escape pod began to lose power and his pulse began to slow, despite the efforts of the Kul Tiran healers. Kelsey Steelspark, desperate to save the High Tinker, worked with Alliance adventurers to have Mekkatorque's pod transported to Mechagon, hoping the mechagnomes there would be able to save him. Waren Gearhart believed that an existing device could be modified to gain access to Gelbin without disrupting the pod's life support. However, the copter carrying the pod was shot down by the island's troggs, and the adventurers were forced to recover the pod and kill the troggs who had downed the copter. As work proceeded to unlock the pod, Prince Erazmin wished to learn both from his own people about what made an ideal leader, and from their allies from Gnomeregan about why they followed Gelbin, as a baseline for restoring his mental function. After the pod was opened, a recovered from King Mechagon's Annihilo-tron was delivered from Mechagon City to jump-start Gelbin's heart, and the High Tinker at last awakened.
Grateful to Erazmin and his people for their aid, the High Tinker elected to return the favor by helping retake their home. Gelbin, Erazmin, Kelsey, and the Alliance adventurer teleported into Mechagon City and cleared out the last of King Mechagon's loyalist machines. With Mechagon liberated, Prince Erazmin expressed the desire to reunite their people and asked Gelbin to lead them. Gelbin accepted, on the condition that Erazmin stands with him as both counselor and friend. Without hesitation, Erazmin agreed. Addressing the crowd at the High Tinkertory in Mechagon City, Kelsey announced the reunification of Gnomeregan and Mechagon, and proclaimed Gelbin as the new king of an undivided gnomekind.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Inner Sanctum (Siege of Orgrimmar)||113||104,450,600|
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Battle of Dazar'alor||??||33,996,940|
|High Tinker Mekkatorque (tactics)||??|
- Tiragarde Sound
- G6 Rockets!
- Proto Layered Optimal Titan Armor — Mekkatorque is immune to damage.
- Thunderclap — Inflicts Nature damage to nearby enemies and slows their movement by 25% for 8 sec.
- Battle of Dazar'alor
- Main article: High Tinker Mekkatorque (tactics)#Abilities
- Life Support — Mekkatorque's robotic suit keeps him in a state of suspended animation.
- Operation Gnomeregan
- Bomb — Bombs all enemies in a selected area, inflicting Fire damage.
- Goblin Dragon Gun — Deals 27 fire damage for 8 sec to all targets in a cone in front of the engineer using the weapon. That is unless it explodes.....
- Mekkatorque-Cannon — Mekkatorque calls down a sat-strike, inflicting damage to an enemy.
- Mekkatorque-Ray — Mekkatorque fires his Mekkatorque-Ray, inflicting damage to targeted enemy and all nearby enemies.
- Super Shrink Ray — Shrinks up to 10 enemies, reducing their attack power.
- Operation Gnomeregan
Gelbin Mekkatorque invented numerous gadgets, devices and machines:
- Repair bot
- The Deeprun Tram
- Prototype of the dwarven siege engine
- High-Velocity Nostril Squeeges
Personality and traits
Gelbin Mekkatorque, before the fall of Gnomeregan, was the absolute peak of all things a Gnome could aspire to be, a brilliant tinker who invented countless wonderful inventions and a trusting friend who valued his fellow gnomes. After the fall of their city and the massive loss of gnome lives, Mekkatorque grew far wearier and consumed with guilt, as he felt it was his fault for trusting Sicco Thermaplug, his close friend, in his attempt to rid them of the Trogg problem plaguing the city. Guilt, and a desire to not be pitied by the dwarves who had taken them in, would plague Mekkatorque until Gnomeregan was assaulted by his forces. The lives lost still weighed heavily on his mind, despite systematically beginning to reclaim their home and his hope dimmed for the future, as the melancholy of his life before the fall of Gnomeregan clung to his heart and mind until Thermaplugg tried to kill him in his recently reclaimed quarters. During the fight, Mekkatroque regains his hope for the future and realizing that despite Thermaplug's betrayal, it had been because of his friends, the Alliance, and everyone's hard to work who had died in reclaiming the city for the sake of the Gnomes. Mekkatorque has now banished his inner demons, regaining his hope and belief that trust in his friends, will cause Gnomeregan to not only raise again but to be even better than it once was.
Aside from his own personal feelings, Mekkatorque is incredibly inventive, and quick-witted during a fight. Before becoming High Tinker, Mekkatorque invented an incredible amount of useful items, of which he believed would benefit all of Gnomekind. Above all, he exemplifies what is best in Gnomes, which is why he was elected to the position of High Tinker and is still a much-beloved leader amongst them, as he is creative, and compassionate. He is motivated by curiosity, inventiveness, and altruism. His biggest flaw is his own inability to properly deal with his emotions because he feels he must be a leader first and foremost, and be "Gelbin", second. For Mekkatorque, understanding the universal laws of the world and science is easier than understanding himself, but even then, he can come to learn and grow as a person given enough time and personal reflection. His friendships and responsibility to his people and the Alliance are what guide him as a person and as a leader.
Counting prime numbers is a way for him to relax his mind, as well as talking to himself - something he had refrained from doing after the fall of Gnomeregan.
Punctuality had never been one of Mekkatorque's strong suits, but he likes to keep track of time to know exactly how late he is going to be.
- "I trusted Thermaplugg. Never did I expect that he would betray us."
- "Once again, Gnomeregan will be our home!"
- "A properly accelerated gnome in battle is a thing of terrible beauty."
World of Warcraft
Mekkatorque's voice was changed in patch 3.3.3, as were his lines of dialogue.
- I just love to tinker!
- Necessity is the first cousin of invention.
- Welcome, friend! (Added in 3.3.3)
- Why hello there! How can I help? (Added in 3.3.3)
- Hello there! Welcome to Tinkertown. (Removed in 3.3.3)
- Any news from Gnomeregan? (Removed in 3.3.3)
- I won't stand for that!
- Killing a player
- Pick on someone your own size!
In Mechagon City
- Well, fancy seeing you here!
- Is there something on your mind?
- When in doubt, plan it out!
- There's always time to tinker!
- Got something to report?
- There's a joke I COULD tell, but I'm still workshopping it!
- Watch it! Keep poking me, and I'll show you gnomercy! That's GNOME-mercy! Get it?!
- You make me regret ever LEAVING MY ESCAPE POD!
- For Gnomeregan!
- Remember: Safety first!
- Perseverance is a true blueprint to success.
- I'm counting on you!
- Never reject an idea out of hand.
- At 7:55: Ipfelkofer Ironkeg yells: In 20 minutes High Tinker Mekkatorque will tap the Brewfest Keg!
- At 8:05: Ipfelkofer Ironkeg yells: In just 10 minutes High Tinker Mekkatorque will tap the Brewfest Keg!
- Ten seconds left: Ipfelkofer Ironkeg yells: High Tinker Mekkatorque is on his way! The "Tapping of the Keg" ceremony will begin in a few minutes!
- High Tinker Mekkatorque yells: It's so good to seeing so many of you here to celebrate this time honored festivity. We've suffered many tragedies this year, so a celebration like Brewfest is a welcome and jubilous occasion.
- High Tinker Mekkatorque yells: Years ago, when King Magni approached me about these festivities I assured him that we gnomes could make Brewfest an event to remember. But Magni, knew that we gnomes had other tasks that we should focus on. He wanted to keep it simple and honor the past.
- High Tinker Mekkatorque yells: King Magni must have sensed some disappointment as he did allow a slight change. He allowed me a chance to tap the Brewfest Keg. I remember spending nights trying to figure out how to efficiently and quickly open the keg and distribute its contents such that all participants will receive equal parts quickly and efficiently.
- High Tinker Mekkatorque yells: With plans drawn up, I had my top men and women begin work on a machine to do that exact task! We had calculated down to the second how best to dist-
- Maeeve Barleybrew yells: BOOORING!
- Maeeve Barleybrew yells: Speed it up, Tinker!
- Maeeve Barleybrew yells: Drink, Tink! Drink, Tink! Drink, Tink!
- Maeeve Barleybrew yells: Yak, yak! Let's get to the drinking!
- Maeeve Barleybrew yells: Just tap the keg already!
- High Tinker Mekkatorque yells: Well... I guess that no one here is going to want to hear about the Keg Tapper prototypes 74205 and 75633... Maybe if I spoke about prototype 1701-D, you would get excited...
- Maeeve Barleybrew yells: BOOORING!
- Maeeve Barleybrew yells: Speed it up, Tinker!
- Maeeve Barleybrew yells: Drink, Tink! Drink, Tink! Drink, Tink!
- Maeeve Barleybrew yells: Yak, yak! Let's get to the drinking!
- Maeeve Barleybrew yells: Just tap the keg already!
- High Tinker Mekkatorque yells: Right, right... So let's start the countdown from ten, ready? TEN!
- Brewfest Crowd yells: FIVE!
- High Tinker Mekkatorque yells: Oh... okay, I'll just wait for zero then...
- Brewfest Crowd yells: FOUR!
- Brewfest Crowd yells: THREE!
- Brewfest Crowd yells: TWO!
- Brewfest Crowd yells: ONE!
- Gelbin taps the keg.
- High Tinker Mekkatorque yells: The keg is tapped! Now I would like to propose a toast. Don't worry, I'll keep it short and sweet.
- High Tinker Mekkatorque yells: Drink and be merry!
During Operation: Gnomeregan
- At last it is time for the exiled gnomes to return.
- Once again Gnomeregan will be our home!
- What is going on here?
- The dwarves have kept us safe in their home for some time now, and for that we thank them. However, the traitorous Thermaplugg's occupation of our home must at last come to an end.
- Gnomeregan has festered beneath the atomic weight of our ill-conceived plan for too long. The detonation of the radiation bombs drove us from our city, but now we possess the technology to take it back!
- We will regain what is ours... and bring Thermaplugg to justice!
- What is your plan?
- Operation: Gnomeregan is divided into a number of phases:
- First, we must retake the air tower. This will allow our planes to give us air support as we move towards Gnomeregan's main entrance.
- In addition, a cache of mechanized Battle Suits was discovered in one of the nearby buildings. Once we have those suits, our assault on the entrance should be unstoppable.
- Then, we go straight for Thermaplugg in the heart of Gnomeregan!
- Main article: Operation: Gnomeregan (quest)#Script event
- Operation: Gnomeregan was a success. Sure, that dastardly Thermaplugg had an unforeseen trick up his sleeve, but we have him on the run! It's only a matter of time before Gnomeregan is cleaned up and in our hands again!
Crushcog's defeat will send a powerful message to his master, Thermaplugg. The gnomes of Gnomeregan will not be stopped!
Siege of Orgrimmar
My expertise is needed elsewhere, heroes! When you see Garrosh, tell him he should've invested in gnomish technology!
- Main article: The Battle for Broken Shore (Alliance)#Notes
The young king reminds me so much of his father. More than he realizes, I think.
He's the right person to lead this effort and bring new faces into the Alliance.
Battle for Azeroth
- Main article: The Battle for Lordaeron#Notes
- Main article: Grong, the Revenant#Quotes
- Main article: Grong, the Jungle Lord#Quotes
- Main article: High Tinker Mekkatorque (tactics)#Quotes
Notes and trivia
- Gelbin was to appear in a scraped Legionfall Mage Tower challenge for stealth classes assisting the heroes to take the army of Sicco Thermaplugg and the traitorous gnome himself.
- As of Battle for Azeroth, Mekkatorque is one of the four surviving Alliance rulers from the Second War, the others being King Magni Bronzebeard (who was petrified during the events of "The Shattering", but has returned as a crystalline herald for Azeroth), Kurdran Wildhammer of the Wildhammer clan and King Genn Greymane of Gilneas; King Terenas of Lordaeron, King Thoras Trollbane of Stromgarde, Admiral Proudmoore of Kul Tiras, Lord Perenolde of Alterac, Antonidas of Dalaran, King Anasterian Sunstrider of Quel'Thalas and King Varian Wrynn of Stormwind have all died (all murdered with the exception of Perenolde, who died in prison) in the interim, though Trollbane was raised years later as a death knight to be a Horseman of the Knights of the Ebon Blade.
- Apparently he is an excellent harmonica player.
- In World of Warcraft, Gelbin Mekkatorque is a few inches taller than other gnomes.
- Engineer "Spark" Overgrind bore the title "Envoy of Mekkatorque".
- Jastor Gallywix referred to him as Mekko.
- High Tinker is an elected position, though the rulers are allowed to choose grand titles for themselves. Gelbin calls himself "King of Gnomes", which oddly seems to mirror Sicco Thermaplugg's self-styled title of "King of Gnomeregan", which was an act of egotism on his part. He does, however, unlike Thermaplugg, acknowledge that he doesn't actually hold any legal authority.
- As mentioned above, High Tinker is an elected position, however, there does not seem to be a limit to how long this position can be held. He was described as being High Tinker by the time of the second war, about twenty five years or so, and was said to have taken office at a young age. Given that Mekkatorque is actually an older Gnome (It's not currently known exactly how long gnomes live.), he has held the office for the majority of his life.
- When heading to tap the keg at Brewfest each year, Mekkatorque rides a white mechanostrider resembling a . During Operation: Gnomeregan and the Siege of Orgrimmar, he instead rides a blue mechanostrider simply known as Mekkatorque's Mechanostrider, which can also be found near his tent in New Tinkertown.
- During Operation: Gnomeregan Mekkatorque says "IT'S A TRAP! That's a fully functional irradiator!" which is a reference to Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi where Admiral Ackbar yells "It's a trap!" after discovering that the second Death Star is functional and that they've been lead into a trap.
- The Spark Reactor is an obvious reference to the arc reactor created by Marvel Comic's Tony Stark/Iron Man.
- Gelbin and Vol'jin, the Darkspear leader, share a number of odd similarities. Both of them were betrayed by a most trusted friend (Sicco/Zalazane), both were forced out of their homes, both lead a force to retake their homeland (Operation: Gnomeregan/Zalazane's Fall), during Brewfest both of them rode out of their respective cities to the festival grounds at 6 A.M. and 6 P.M. each day for the ceremonial tapping of the keg, and prior to the Cataclysm they both were in another race's "capital" (Ironforge/Orgrimmar).
- In moments when Gelbin is overcome with feelings of distress, he calms himself by closing his eyes and counting prime numbers until the feelings retreat.
- The humorously says he wears night elf underwear.
- Strangely, Gelbin was friendly to Horde players from patch 4.0.3a until patch 4.1.
- can be fished from the Dalaran Fountain.
- Gelbin is voiced by Dino Andrade.
- He appears in the World of Warcraft: Trading Card Game's Drums of War set as well as the Throne of the Tides set.
- He appears as a legendary card in Hearthstone. The golden version of the card is no longer obtainable and was rewarded to players who helped test the in-game store during the game's beta test. His flavor text reads: "He's the leader of the gnomes and an incredible inventor. He's getting better, too; He turns things into chickens WAY less than he used to."
- His generic name during is Rustbolt Defender.
- World of Warcraft
High Tinker Mekkatorque in patch 3.3.3, before patch 8.1.
Gelbin in his suit, in the Stormwind Embassy.
Gelbin by Wei Wang.
- Other games
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): New model.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Level updated to 120.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Level updated to 110.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Level updated to 100.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Level updated to 90.
- Patch 4.1.0 (2011-04-26): No longer friendly to Horde players.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23):
- Moved to Gnomeregan.
- Updated for level 85.
- Patch 3.3.3 (2010-03-23): New model and voice lines.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Level updated to 80.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Level updated to 70.
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-13): Racial leaders have been made stronger and are now worth slightly less Honor.
- ^ - "submit yourself to the will of High Tinker Mekkatorque, King of Gnomes. [...] I actually possess no legal authority whatsoever - over gnomes or otherwise - but still, you have to admit that sounded impressive!"
- ^ a b c Gnome - Game Guide - World of Warcraft - Battle.net
- ^ a b c d e f g h i Cut Short, pg. 2
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 2
- ^ WoW -> Info -> Basics -> Public Transportation. Blizzard Entertainment. Retrieved on 2010-02-20.
- ^ a b Cut Short, pg. 1
- ^ Beyond the Dark Portal, chapter 5
- ^ World of Warcraft: Game Manual, pg. 175
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3, pg. 35
- ^ Ultimate Visual Guide
- ^ a b c World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 3, pg. 56
- ^ a b c d Cut Short, pg. 3
- ^ World of Warcraft: Game Manual
- ^ a b c d Underdev Operation: Gnomeregan
- ^ World of Warcraft manual, pg. 176
- ^ Home Sweet Home
- ^ Gnomeregan - Game Guide - World of Warcraft - Battle.net
- ^ World of Warcraft: Game Manual, pg. 174
- ^ a b c Cut Short
- ^ Wolfheart
- ^ Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War
- ^ War Crimes, chapter 2
- ^ Big News, Everyone! Gnome Hunters Are Coming (2015-11-25). Retrieved on 2015-11-27.
- ^ Before the Storm
- ^ a b
- ^ Cut Short, pg. 5
- ^ Cut Short, pg. 4
- ^ High Tinker Mekkatorque (Drums of War)
- ^ Mount Journal entry for
- ^ Scenario: Imminent Launch
- ^ Him?#Notes
- ^ Operation: Gnomeregan#In-game Mail
Unknown, last known was King Mechagon (as King of the gnomes)
High Tinker of the gnomes
Position abolished, previously King Mechagon
King of the gnomes
Unknown, last known was King Mechagon
Ruler of Gnomeregan