- For the lore, see spirit wolf. For the War of Thorns NPCs, see Ghost Wolf (War of the Thorns). For the Exile's Reach NPCs, see Ghost Wolf (Exile's Reach).
Things you can do in Ghost Wolf form
- Move 30% faster (The Enchant Boot - Minor Speed enchant has no effect on Ghost Wolf speed)
- Attack with a bite attack (damage and attack speed depend on what weapon the shaman has equipped).
- Become hard to see by other players (though this won't affect aggressive mobs).
- Your ability to loot, skin, and gather herbs remains usable.
- Carry the flag in battlegrounds such as Warsong Gulch.
- Do a silly dance! (
Tips and tactics
- In Ghost Wolf, the caster can't:
- Ghost Wolf is treated as a magical buff and thus can be dispelled by priests, hunters, a felhunter, or another shaman.
- Ghost Wolf doesn't make you immune to . Some players still believe it does.
- Ghost Wolf changes your type to Beast.
- You're vulnerable to abilities targeting Beasts such as , , or .
- You're immune to abilities targeting Humanoids, such as or Track Humanoids.
- Ghost Wolf can be spellstolen by a mage, though the mage won't take the morph effect, they will just dispel the buff.
- Passive abilities from Weapons and Items and procs are not active.
- Buffs from certain potions and some spells disappear.
- Some weapon buffs' effect are not active (like , , and ).
- In Ghost Wolf, your standard Unarmed DPS is reduced.
- For players at or below level 60, there are four PvP rewards which further increase the speed by +15% speed when in ghost wolf form. These will not work for players above level 60.
- Can be used to completely ignore the 's slowing aura mechanic in Blackwing Lair.
When Thrall's soul separated from his body and entered the spirit world he transformed himself into a spirit wolf. The Taur-ahe word for "ghost wolf" is "Lo'Gosh." In Micky Neilson's opinion, when a shaman transforms into a ghost wolf the shaman's body becomes incorporeal.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19):
- Hotfix (2014-12-11): "Ghost Wolf modified by Glyph of Ghostly Speed no longer provides a movement speed increase while indoors."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Wolf model updated.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Cast time removed. No longer causes the Shaman to be less hindered by effects that would reduce movement speed.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Speed buff reduced to +30%, down from 40%. Can now be learned at level 15. Now usable indoors.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Can now be learned at level 16. While in this form, snaring effects may not bring the shaman below base normal run speed.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): Base cast time reduced to 2 seconds, down from 3.
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): Will now correctly have its cast time reduced by Nature's Swiftness.
- Patch 0.12 (2004-10-11): Now only usable outdoors.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Now considered a beast when using Ghost Wolf.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Moved to level 20. Mana cost increased.