Things you can do in Ghost Wolf form
- Move 30% faster (The Enchant Boot - Minor Speed enchant has no effect on Ghost Wolf speed)
- Attack with a bite attack (damage and attack speed depend on what weapon the shaman has equipped).
- Become hard to see by other players (though this won't affect aggressive mobs).
- Your ability to loot, skin, and gather herbs remains usable.
- Carry the flag in battlegrounds such as Warsong Gulch.
- Do a silly dance! (
Tips and tactics
- In Ghost Wolf, the caster can't:
- Ghost Wolf is treated as a magical buff and thus can be dispelled by priests, hunters, a felhunter, or another shaman.
- Ghost Wolf doesn't make you immune to . Some players still believe it does.
- Ghost Wolf changes your type to Beast.
- You're vulnerable to abilities targeting Beasts such as , , or .
- You're immune to abilities targeting Humanoids, such as or Track Humanoids.
- Ghost Wolf can be spellstolen by a mage, though the mage won't take the morph effect, they will just dispel the buff.
- Passive abilities from Weapons and Items and procs are not active.
- Buffs from certain potions and some spells disappear.
- Some weapon buffs' effect are not active (like , , and ).
- In Ghost Wolf, your standard Unarmed DPS is reduced.
- For players at or below level 60, there are four PvP rewards which further increase the speed by +15% speed when in ghost wolf form. These will not work for players above level 60.
- Can be used to completely ignore the Suppression Device's slowing aura mechanic in Blackwing Lair.
In Micky Neilson's personal opinion, when a shaman transforms into a ghost wolf the shaman's body becomes incorporeal.
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19):
- Hotfix (2014-12-11): "Ghost Wolf modified by Glyph of Ghostly Speed no longer provides a movement speed increase while indoors."
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Wolf model updated.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Cast time removed. No longer causes the Shaman to be less hindered by effects that would reduce movement speed.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Speed buff reduced to +30%, down from 40%. Can now be learned at level 15. Now usable indoors.
- Patch 3.2.0 (2009-08-04): Can now be learned at level 16. While in this form, snaring effects may not bring the shaman below base normal run speed.
- Patch 2.4.0 (2008-03-25): Base cast time reduced to 2 seconds, down from 3.
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): Will now correctly have its cast time reduced by Nature's Swiftness.
- Patch 0.12 (2004-10-11): Now only usable outdoors.
- Patch 0.9 (2004-08-17): Now considered a beast when using Ghost Wolf.
- Patch 0.7 (2004-06-15): Moved to level 20. Mana cost increased.