- This article is about the peninsula itself and the worgen starting zone. For the zone after the invasion, see Ruins of Gilneas. For other uses, see Gilneas (disambiguation).
|Level: 1 - 20|
Battle Pet Level: 1 - 4
|Sources: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm|
Gilneas (pronounced Gil-NEIGH-uhs, [gɪlˈniːəs]) is a peninsula south-west of Silverpine Forest on the continent of Lordaeron. Gilneas is the starting zone for worgen, and is revisited by Forsaken during the Silverpine Forest storyline, now known as the "Ruins of Gilneas".
A human nation, also called Gilneas, can be found on the peninsula.
Gilneas is a large peninsula that juts into the sea south of the western regions of Lordaeron. Silverpine Forest lies to the north-east and Kul Tiras and Crestfall await across the sea to the south and Tol'Barad stands to the east. Because of its nearness, Zul'Dare is considered part of Gilneas.
Maps and subregions
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
|Teldrassil||1-10||Northwest across the sea||Via evacuation|
- Main article: Gilneas NPCs
- Main article: Worgen starting experience
Gilneas is the worgen starting zone. Questing begins with Gilneas City under attack by feral worgen, then expands to the rest of the zone showing the effects of the Shattering and the Invasion of Gilneas.
Resources found in Gilneas are similar to other starting zones in World of Warcraft and include:
In the RPGThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft RPG and is considered non-canon.
Gilneas is a cold, rainy place, mainly because the Great Sea surrounds the peninsula on three sides, making sea storms common. High cliffs on the shores protect Gilneas from sailors' curious eyes. The Greymane Wall is the only evident site in Gilneas.
Notes & trivia
- The Ruins of Gilneas were added as an accessible zone in patch 4.0.3a, two weeks before the release of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm; it is what remains of Gilneas after the worgen starting area (similar to the Ruins of the Scarlet Enclave in Eastern Plaguelands). Prior to patch 4.0.3a, on the other side of the Greymane Wall there was only a small, flat area, bordered by the ocean.
- Gilneas was once the only brand new zone that could be accessed without first having Cataclysm, though now all players can access Kezan and Gilneas without purchasing the expansion.
- Horde players questing in nearby Silverpine Forest have a small quest chain that involves venturing through the ruins of Gilneas.
- If you get a view of the inner side of the wall you may see that the inner gate is broken down from the inside.
- After patch 3.1.0, the loading screen/ship route from Menethil Harbor to Theramore Isle no longer crosses Gilneas.
- Thorn sprites and sea hags were among the creatures that were conceptead but never truly created for Gilneas.
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Level scaling implemented, previous zone level: 1 - 12.