- This article is about the worgen starting zone. For the zone and its lore after the invasion, see Ruins of Gilneas. For other uses, see Gilneas (disambiguation).
|Level: 1 - 20
Battle Pet Level: 1 - 4
|Sources: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm|
The kingdom of Gilneas makes the peninsula its home.
- For the history of the region, see the History section on Ruins of Gilneas.
- For the history of the kingdom, see the History section on the Gilneas Kingdom.
Gilneas is a large peninsula located on the southwest of the continent of Lordaeron. It lies south of Silverpine Forest and southwest of Hillsbrad Foothills, with Baradin Bay to its east and Tol Barad to the west across the Great Sea.
Maps and subregions
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
|Teldrassil||1 - 20||Northwest across the sea||Via evacuation|
- Main article: Gilneas NPCs
- Main article: Worgen starting experience
Gilneas is the worgen starting zone. Questing begins with Gilneas City under attack by feral worgen, then expands to the rest of the zone showing the effects of the Shattering and the Invasion of Gilneas.
Resources found in Gilneas are similar to other starting zones in World of Warcraft and include:
Notes and trivia
- The Ruins of Gilneas were added as an accessible zone in patch 4.0.3a, two weeks before the release of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm; it is what remains of Gilneas after the worgen starting area (similar to the Ruins of the Scarlet Enclave in Eastern Plaguelands). Prior to patch 4.0.3a, on the other side of the Greymane Wall there was only a small, flat area, bordered by the ocean.
- Gilneas was once the only brand new zone that could be accessed without first having Cataclysm, though now all players can access Kezan and Gilneas without purchasing the expansion.
- Horde players questing in nearby Silverpine Forest have a small quest chain that involves venturing through the Ruins of Gilneas.
- If you get a view of the inner side of the wall you may see that the inner gate is broken down from the inside.
- After patch 3.1.0, the loading screen/ship route from Menethil Harbor to Theramore Isle no longer crosses Gilneas.
- Thorn sprites and sea hags were among the creatures that were concepted but never truly created for Gilneas.
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Level scaling implemented, previous zone levels: 1 - 5 for Gilneas City and 5 - 12 for the zone itself.
- Kezan, its counterpart