|This article is a location stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
- This article is about the city lore and the gnomish starting zone. For the in-game faction of the same name, see Gnomeregan (faction). For the dungeon instance, see Gnomeregan (instance).
|Entrance of Gnomeregan|
Western Dun Morogh
Contested territory (PvP realms only)
- A technical marvel, the subterranean city of Gnomeregan is wrought-iron evidence of gnomish brilliance, ambition, and ingenuity. It was carved into the stony foothills of Dun Morogh, and winds deep into the heart of the land. From their wondrous techno-city, gnomes provided invaluable support in weaponry, vehicles, and energetic troops to the Alliance of dwarves, humans, and high elves. Currently a battleground between the founding gnomes and the traitor , the once-gleaming metal hallways of this labyrinthine city are slowly being retaken.
Gnomeregan [noʊmɹəˈgɑːn] was the capital city of the gnome race until a trogg invasion led to its tragic downfall. In a desperate attempt to kill the troggs, their ruler, High Tinker Gelbin Mekkatorque, on the advice of his advisor , detonated a radiation bomb in its halls, but only succeeded in corrupting whatever gnomes that remained - and empowering the victorious troggs. A few loyal gnomes still left in the city fought desperately to keep the troggs at bay. Their ruler, thought by certain gnomes to have abandoned them, eventually sent a rescue force of adventurers on a recon mission.
The city is currently a mid-level dungeon.
It wasn't until their discovery by the dwarves centuries later that gnomes were recognized as a viable and important race. The dwarves were impressed with the ingenuity and quickness of their smaller “kin” (for they had also been titan-forged and similarly cursed), and they assisted the gnomes in constructing a capital city, Gnomeregan, in the foothills of Dun Morogh near the dwarves’ own capital of Ironforge. From their wondrous techno-city, gnomes provided invaluable support in weaponry, vehicles, and energetic troops to the Alliance of dwarves, humans, and high elves.
- When the war against the Burning Legion ended, the Alliance discovered the reason for the gnomes' sudden withdrawal. Apparently, an ancient, barbaric menace had risen from the bowels of the earth and invaded Gnomeregan. Knowing that their allies' priority was defeating the Burning Legion, the gnomes decided to make their stand alone. Though they fought valiantly to save their beloved city, Gnomeregan was irrevocably lost.
From Blizzard's Official World Dungeons site:
- Located in Dun Morogh, the technological wonder known as Gnomeregan has been the gnomes' capital city for generations. Recently, a hostile race of mutant troggs infested several regions of Dun Morogh - including the great gnome city. In a desperate attempt to destroy the invading troggs, High Tinker Mekkatorque ordered the emergency venting of the city's radioactive waste tanks. Several gnomes sought shelter from the airborne pollutants as they waited for the troggs to die or flee. Unfortunately, though the troggs became irradiated from the toxic assault - their siege continued, unabated. Those gnomes who were not killed by noxious seepage were forced to flee, seeking refuge in the nearby dwarven city of Ironforge. There, High Tinker Mekkatorque set out to enlist brave souls to help his people reclaim their beloved city. It is rumored that Mekkatorque's once-trusted advisor, Mekgineer Thermaplugg, betrayed his people by allowing the invasion to happen. Now, his sanity shattered, Thermaplugg remains in Gnomeregan - furthering his dark schemes and acting as the city's new techno-overlord.
Prior to the Shattering, the gnomes, with help from the Alliance, launched an assault on Gnomeregan in an effort to liberate its lost capital, code name: Operation: Gnomeregan. The operation was successful, as they were able recapture Gnomeregan's surface and part of the city, an area they have named New Tinkertown. The gnomes seem to be gaining ground in the city as new gnomes assist in the defeat of the lepers on the surface of the city and the killing of one of Thermaplugg's most important lieutenants.
Cut ShortThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
In CataclysmThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
The city is turned into a war zone between the Gnomeregan Exiles and the leper gnomes. Gnomeregan is now the starting area for gnomes, and its quests will be centered around reclaiming the city and trying to force all of Thermaplugg's forces out. New gnome players start out as irradiated, and through a series of quests they cleanse themselves before permanent damage can be done.
The dungeon itself is largely the same, but most of the original quests have been removed. Instead, players assist the S.A.F.E. organization in a new quest line that is obtained from within the instance.
- Main article: Gnomeregan (instance)
In the RPGThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft RPG and is considered non-canon.
Gnomeregan is built into Ironforge Mountain. When the troggs invaded, they destroyed the city, forced the Ironforge gnomes to move to Ironforge and to Kalimdor. Now in the hands of the Rockjaw troggs, the city is little more than a ruin. The troggs use the city as a base to stage attacks against Ironforge patrols, merchants and other travelers.
- Once, all the cloth and leather were vaporized by 's cousin.
- There seems to be tracks similar to the Deeprun Tram running from the east wall of the aptly named Train Depot (now the Loading Room) to right before the Tinkers' Court. A line seems to have also go into the destroyed hallway off of the Hall of Gears. No cars can be seen at any point on these tracks. It is unknown how, or if, the Loading Room (now the Old Dormitory) was able to load any cars from its position, presumably with the arm that was there.
- The loss of Gnomeregan is the topic of many conspiracy theories, one of them involving the Dark Iron clan.