Gnomish (aka Gnome) is the native language of the gnomes. Hearing them talk in their native gnomish will help you realize why no one takes the time to learn it aside from gnomes. As such, gnomes now teach Common to their children to make communication with other races more productive.
Gnomish words (speculation)
This is the list of words created by the in-game language parser for the Gnomish language, and is listed as language number thirteen (word range 1151-1235, 1237-1279) in the Language text file.
In the in-game translator, the language parser for Gnomish shares similar words with Dwarven, Common and Gutterspeak.
Note: The language algorithm used by the in-game "translator" merely makes the words look like Gnomish. It does not actually use a specific dictionary. Therefore, translated in-game speech isn't true Gnomish.
|Number of letters in word||Word List|
|One-letter words||A, C, D, E, F, G, I, O T|
|Two-letter words||Am, Ga, Ke, Lo, Ok, So, Ti, Um, Va, We|
|Three-letter words||Bur, Dun, Fez, Giz, Gal, Gar, Her, Mik, Mor, Mos, Nid, Rod, Zah|
|Four-letter words||Buma, Cost, Dani, Gear, Gosh, Grum, Helm, Hine, Huge, Lock, Kahs, Rand, Riff, Rune|
|Five-letter words||Algos, Angor, Dagem, Frend, Goten, Haven, Havis, Mitta, Modan, Modor, Nagin, Tiras, Thros, Weird|
|Six-letter words||Danieb, Drugan, Dumssi, Gizber, Haldir, Helmok, Mergud, Protos, Revosh, Rugosh, Shermt, Waldor|
|Seven-letter words||Bergrim, Costirm, Ferdosr, Ganrokh, Geardum, Godling, Haidren, Havagun, Noxtyec, Scrutin, Sturome, Thorneb|
|Eight-letter words||Aldanoth, Azregorn, Bolthelm, Botlikin, Dimligar, Gefrunon, Godunmug, Grumgizr, Kahsgear, Kahzregi, Landivar,
Methrine, Mikthros, Misfaran, Nandiger, Thulmane
|Nine-letter words||Angordame, Elodergim, Elodmodor, Naggirath, Nockhavis|
|Ten-letter words||Ahzodaugum, Alegaskron, Algosgoten, Danavandar, Dyrstagist, Falhadrink, Frendgalva, Mosgodunan, Mundgizber,
Naginbumat, Sihnvulden, Throsigear, Vustrangin
|Eleven-letter words||Ferdosmodan, Gizbarlodun, Haldjinagin, Helmokheram, Kahzhaldren, Lockrevoshi, Robuswaldir, Skalfgizgar,
Word list (speculation)
In World of Warcarft
The many gnome NPCs in World of Warcraft give a good illustration of the naming habits of gnomes, as well as the kinds of names usually used by them. A few examples are listed below. For a full list, see Category:Gnomes.
Character creation screen
The following names are offered as suggestions when creating characters on the character creation screen. Note that this list represents a sample of the many possible suggestions.
- Male names
- Trickett, Graudenzo, Anue, Scredgeek, Jarvinks, Bragglazen, Mather, Dermorque, Hydrilippe, Monarvo, Sonart, Yapert, Carvin, Rilben, Macketrommet, Thenry, Windleather, Plazlorber, Mour, Sphedwinste, Neek, Moullum, Plandy, Berbitald, Sporber, Corbitalleon, Fragglandy, Mathel, Gleymo, Sheatus, Mache, Drickleather, Seymour, Gasionty, Addinge, Twindy, Clatt, Screnzillum, Howelbur, Phillevink, Ne, Basille, Wobblahoist, Flattonter, Heathenry, Hen, Marvilbur, Clammett, Barvisocky, Kevilly, Ikelly, Gro, Wing, Ikevin, Talfier, Aironterce, Braully, Galvest, Drivert, Tommet, Flanus, Gaske, Squee, Sphilberce, Fustonzo, Glazenzo, Drilleaddle
- Female names
- Elmada, Lathrourda, Cryo, Sheel, Jil, Trilley, Findselo, Dellyndy, Marixi, Ellectrinah, Iny, Jillenda, Focinke, Sandicey, Trixie, Clectriggs, Brinnis, Stershirle, Bebs, Starryo, Carit, Pendelly, Lapiselly, Stey, Selorixie, Ellenikah, Jellidget, Lavickie, Penikell, Pinanet, Babby, Flottley, Stalise, Jineanele, Lustindy, Tinjalie, Finneak, Kitargidgett, Squeandsel, Tinanet, Tikatheeb, Frourda, Penet, Peppennelexi, Stalfettick, Parazzle, Carixi, Berrily, Carryo, Aliselly, Finnet, Perr, Esky, Lidgettle, Sanceyi, Pipeppy, Tarotartie, Squeanda, Kittlectrina, Minnah, Elmartibby, Tumindappy, Ibby, Fidgett, Fraimmy, Lavinda, Shappe, Greneanet, Donnancy, Tie, Rinnelly, Shersheebs, Lorixie, Flott
In the RPG
Gnome parents name their children at birth. Gnomes have family names that represent an honored ancestor’s achievements, but they only keep these names until some time in their thirties. At this point, gnome society expects them to have made their own achievements, and thus the gnome invents a new name that represents his own accomplishments. This name then takes the place of his family name.
- Male Names: Grobnick, Kazbo, Hagin, Snoonose.
- Female Names: Beggra, Nefti, Sorassa, Gamash.
- Family Names: Spinpistol, Airslicer, Bombtosser, Greatgear.
- Until recently gnomes were little known among the residents of Kalimdor, and many assumed that they were nothing more than myth. As such anyone who claimed to speak the language of gnomes was dismissed as a drunken lout.
"Gnome" as a language term has an apparent connection to D&D derived generic languages, which apparently can be found in D&D rule books.
- , an alcoholic drink which temporarily gives the consumer the ability to speak in "Gnomish Binary" (Alliance) or "Goblin Binary" (Horde).