Gnomish Death Ray
Gnomish Death Ray is one of the deadliest trinkets a Gnomish Engineer can craft. As it binds on creation, only the Engineer who created it can use it. On the other hand, it does not require Engineering to use. You can create a Gnomish Death Ray as a Gnomish Engineer, then drop the engineering profession and still be able to use it.
When Heffen Glitterbows unveiled this weapon, his opus, even the bravest tinkers went pale. Weapons they liked, but this was above and beyond anything they had ever dreamed. Devices are supposed to help the user, they argued, not potentially cause his death! Not on purpose, anyway. The ray is a massive hollow tube that sits on a tripod. The mechanisms inside are fueled mostly by liquid phlogiston and chaos energy; but it is useless without the life force of the user. When activated, the user must stand behind the hollow barrel of the tube. A blue ray extends out the back of the tube, hitting the user in the chest, soaking energy from user, and then converting that energy as ammo for the weapon. Such a ludicrously dangerous weapon has become quite popular in the black markets of both Alliance and Horde camps.
This item is crafted with Gnome Engineering (240); taught by trainers.
- Direct physical damage inflicted on the enemy at a approximately 20 yard range if the channeling procedure is successful.
- The charge damage to the wearer is physical damage and can be absorbed by shields (For example, a , ).
- The damage is negated by the Paladin's and . (note: 1.9 patch notes say that this is supposed to be fixed but as of 1.11.1, this still works).
- The damage it deals appear to be highly unresistible except by very high level bosses.
- Any source of damage will not interrupt the charging procedure for the Ray.
- Any sort of movement, stun, incapacitating, damage shield, polymorphic and fear effects on the user will immediately cancel the channeling procedure.
- The damage ranges from 700-3000 on normal and is significantly higher when it crits.
- Patch 1.9.0 (2006-01-03): The Gnomish Death Ray's backfire will now affect players even if they have an immunity effect, such as Divine Shield.
- Patch 1.7.0 (2005-09-22): The Gnomish Death Ray now only can be cast if the target is within 20 yards. Previously you could cast this on players outside that range, even though the spell immediately failed.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05): Gnomish Death Ray damage increased slightly and cooldown reduced to 5 minutes.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Gnomish Death Ray ingredients have been changed.
- Patch 0.11 (2004-09-29): Gnomish Death Ray range shortened to 20 yards.