- Main article: Goblin Alchemist (Warcraft II)
The maniacal and brilliant goblin alchemists were masters of volatile chemicals, explosives, and strange mechanical devices. Having constructed zeppelins to soar above the battlefield, as well as inventing watertight pilot-shacks for use on the enslaved race of giant sea turtles, the goblins had defied the very laws of nature. They also created the devastating explosives used by their cousins, the goblin sappers. The alchemists took a peculiar delight in these intellectual endeavors that few understood, but all in the Horde respected the havoc that they produced.
- Main article: Goblin Laboratory (Warcraft III)
The goblin laboratory is a house of knowledge where you can purchase goblin zeppelins, goblin sappers and goblin shredders. The goblin laboratory is also a valuable tool for scouting, as you can reveal areas of the map for a modest price here.
After the defeat of the Horde during the Second War, the goblins realized their mistake and left the Horde. They are now a neutral force, making money off every side. Their services were often key factors in various events during and after the Third War. Examples include allowing the Scourge to access more of Quel'Thalas via zeppelins, helping the Horde cut down much of Ashenvale forest via shredders in order to build Orgrimmar, and helping Thrall travel to the Stonetalon Mountains to meet with Medivh, also via zeppelins.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
The laboratory in Ratchet was specifically an observatory.
- In the Warcraft III alpha there were supposed to be neutral, abandoned Observatories spread along the maps. These Observatories were identical-looking to the goblin alchemist buildings from Warcraft II and could reveal portions of the map once captured.
- It seems a goblin observatory was supposed to originally appear in the Burning Steppes.
In the Warcraft III alpha.
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Orc Buildings, Goblin Alchemist
- ^ Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince, pg. 3
- ^ classic.battle.net -> Neutral Buildings -> Goblin Laboratory
- ^ Undead Campaign: Key of the Three Moons
- ^ Orc Campaign: The Spirits of Ashenvale
- ^ Orc Campaign: Cry of the Warsong
- ^ File:ABE - Lordaeron and Khaz Modan map.jpg