- This article is about character Gorak Tul. For the boss encounter and strategies, see Gorak Tul (tactics).
|Title||<Lord of the Blighted Lands>|
|Level||110 - 120|
|Affiliation(s)||Drust, Heartsbane Coven|
|Location||Crimson Forest, Drustvar|
Around 2,700 years ago, humans from Gilneas arrived on an island that they would later call Kul Tiras. The Drust already lived on the island when the humans arrived, and from Drustvar they enacted raids against the humans' fledgling hamlets. The Drust barbarians attacked the human settlers unprovoked. When the humans landed they tried peace but the Drust went to war immediately, and only a few tolerated new neighbors. They glorified the slaughter, attacking unarmed civilians.
In time the Drust would be forced to withdraw as they lost numbers to the human settlers. When Gorak Tul ran out of living warriors, he conducted a ritual to create stone constructs to fight for him as part of his desperation to win. Colonel Arom Waycrest led the humans' final assault on the Drust and stabbed Gorak Tul himself. As he was stabbed Gorak Tul's power was broken and with it his connection to his stone constructs, which shattered. But though wounded and broken, Gorak Tul did not die.
The Drust would live on as spirits, trying to return to the physical world. The Waycrests had wiped out the Drust, but could not destroy Gorak Tul. For countless years he waited to enact his vengeance from within Thros until Lady Waycrest provided the means. Lady Waycrest had contacted Gorak Tul in the hopes of keeping her ailing husband from leaving her. Gorak Tul taught the Drust's ancient death magic to Lady Waycrest, who in turn formed the Heartsbane Coven. The coven's magic awakened the remaining stone constructs and stirred the Drust's spirits, causing some to rise as skeletons.
When the Coven attempted a rite to bring Gorak Tul back into the world, Inquisitor Joan Cleardawn, Master Ashton, Marten Webb and the adventurer confronted Gorak Tul in Gol Inath and succeeded in pushing him back into the Blighted Lands. After Lady Waycrest's, Gorak Tul attempted to enter the physical world once more, at the Rupture. Though he was defeated once more, it was revealed that it was merely a vessel and that Gorak Tul still dwelled within the Blighted Lands. Even so, the Heartsbane Coven was broken and Drustvar was released from Gorak Tul's power.
When Jaina Proudmoore was exiled to Fate's End by her own mother, Gorak Tul captured her and dragged her into Thros. When the people of Kul Tiras sought to rescue Jaina and turned to the Drust druid Ulfar for help, Gorak Tul attacked him and the Thornspeakers who he had taught the Drust's ways to. Gorak Tul was not happy that Ulfar had shared their gifts with the humans, but Ulfar himself saw Gorak Tul's twisted ways as bringing disgrace to the Drust. When he sent the adventurer on their way to empower an effigy to open the way to Thros, Ulfar warned that since Gorak Tul was vulnerable within it, he would go to great lengths to prevent their entry. Within Thros, Jaina was being tormented by memories of her past. After she was saved by her mother, Jaina and the adventurer slew Gorak Tul in his own domain.
- Bane of the Drust King — The caster channels the powers of the blighted lands, firing out energy at random locations every 0.5 sec, inflicting Shadow damage to all enemies at each impact point
- Crushing Dread — The caster unleashes a wave of destruction, inflicting Shadow damage instantly and additional Shadow damage every 1 sec for 5 sec.
- Ruinous Bolt — Fires a bolt of crippling energy, inflicting 250 Shadow damage to the target.
Notes and trivia
- During visions of the past in , Gorak Tul uses a placeholder tall and pale human model.
- He was initially planned to have the <High Deathshaper> title.
- Gorak Tul's model is based on the vrykul skeleton. It is also called "Vigo" in the files, probably as a reference to Vigo the Carpathian from Ghostsbusters 2.
- Gorak Tul is voiced by Christopher Judge.
- Gorak Tul shares similarities with the Night King from the Game of Thrones television series.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Added.
- ^ World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1, pg. 133
- ^ a b
- ^ a b
- ^ 2017-05-11, BlizzCon 2017 Jeremy Feasel Interview – World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2017-11-05
- ^ Gorak Tul (tactics)#Adventure Guide
- ^ a b Waycrest Manor: Gorak Tul's speech after Lady Waycrest's death
- ^ Lord and Lady Waycrest#Adventure Guide
- ^ BlizzCon 2017: The Art of World of Warcraft, 2:50
- ^ Andrea Toyias on Twitter - "@AndreaToyias God, I love Chris' voice....... /swoon. He played: Akunda, Gorak Tul and Sunwalker Ordel. You will certainly know him when you hear him!! <3"