Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
Greater Healing Wave
|The subject of this article was removed from World of Warcraft in patch 6.0.2.
|Greater Healing Wave|
Greater Healing Wave, usually abbreviated GHW, is a Shaman healing spell, which has a long casting time but restores a very large number of hit points. It is less mana efficient than , but heals for much more with each cast, making it useful in situations where you need a lot of healing fast. Prior to Cataclysm, the spell was simply called "Healing Wave".
Together with Healing Wave, Greater Healing Wave is one of the two main single target healing spells in a shaman's arsenal. It is used in situations where Healing Wave alone is not enough to keep a target alive. Greater Healing Wave is too expensive to be chain-cast for longer durations, and should ideally only be used during periods of higher damage or to bring a target's health up quickly. When used together with , the spell can be used to quickly heal an injured target, but the long base casting time means it can be too slow to save someone when Tidal Waves is not active. In these cases, may be preferable.
At higher gear levels, the mana restoring potential of means that Greater Healing Wave can be used as a shaman's main healing spell, although it still cannot be chain-cast for extended periods. Instead, Greater Healing Wave is used to keep a target stable, with Lightning Bolts used in between heals to keep mana high. Not using Healing Wave ensures a high Tidal Waves uptime, meaning that most or all Greater Healing Waves cast will benefit from it, freeing up more time for Lightning Bolts to regenerate mana. Because Telluric Currents is based on your spell power, this healing strategy is mainly used in endgame raid healing, especially on heroic difficulty.
Tips and tactics
- Make a macro that activates and then casts Greater Healing Wave. That way you can can instantly land a very large heal with just one keystroke, saving valuable time in emergencies.
- Tidal Waves makes Greater Healing Wave a great emergency spot heal, as it is much more mana efficient than Healing Surge. Try to avoid using Healing Surge for this purpose when you have Tidal Waves up.
- Because restoration mastery benefits the entire heal based on the target's health when it lands, a single Greater Healing Wave will benefit more from mastery than several smaller heals in quick succession. This makes it especially effective for bringing people up from low health.
Healing and efficiency
- The restoration specialization reduces the casting time by 0.5 seconds.
- increases the effect on targets affected by .
- increases the healing done by 6%.
- reduces the mana cost by up to 5%.
- returns mana every time when it critically strikes.
- gives the spell a 100% chance to trigger Earthliving on targets below 35% health.
- When activated, turns it into an instant cast spell.
- reduces the casting time after you cast or .
- causes it to temporarily increase the target's armor when it critically strikes.
- heals a second target for 30% of the amount healed when it critically strikes.
- reduces all damage you take while casting this spell by 10%.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Greater Healing Wave has been renamed to .
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Added.