- "Ghostcrawler" redirects here. For the creature of the same name found in the Abyssal Depths, see Ghostcrawler (mob).
Lead Systems Designer (former)
"This is a $%^$$%^ travesty. The game can never have too many crabs."
- “I like long walks on the beach, drinking gin, and nerfing paladins.”
- — Greg Street
On November 27, 2013 he announced on Facebook that he would be leaving Blizzard Entertainment to pursue a "great opportunity for something new and exciting". It was later officially confirmed on the forums, and he became Lead Game Designer at Riot Games, before moving to his current position of Head of Creative Development.
After leaving, he changed his Twitter handle to @OccupyGStreet on December 5, 2013. He has recently managed to retake his @Ghostcrawler account.
He earned a PhD in Marine Science from the University of Texas at Austin in 1996.
He got his start in game design (his "foot in the door", so to speak) by designing a scenario for Age of Empires that was eventually included in a shipping product.
- His quote about nerfing retribution paladins "TO THE GROUND BABY" has become a popular catchphrase among WoW fans. The name of the achievement is most likely derived from it.
- In 2009, Ghostcrawler responded to a forum thread complaining about mage nerfs by simply stating "GHOSTCRAWLER PROMISED ME A PONY." The phrase has since become a popular meme in the WoW community, becoming synonymous with excessive complaining.
- Since players could obtain a Spirit of Competition pet during the 2008 Summer Olympics, players rallied for a moose — a suitably Canadian reward — to become available during the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Most notably, a sign reading "GHOSTCRAWLER PROMISED ME A MOOSE" appeared at the games themselves, even though Ghostcrawler never actually promised anyone a moose.
- Ghostcrawler ended his farewell post on the official forums with "P.S. No, you can’t have a pony. Or a moose. Or a mantis shrimp. Or a tardigrade. Or a crab. Keep trying though."
- The Darkmoon Faire achievement is a reference to the phrase.
- An 85 rare elite crab named Ghostcrawler can be found walking the Abandoned Reef in the Abyssal Depths of Vashj'ir. Its Nerfbat ability is an obvious easter egg to Greg Street's job, the nature of which sometimes leads to claims of unfair nerfing.
- Ret paladins using the will sometimes see a small, spectral crab being thrown off of it.
- He co-hosted the BlizzCon 2008 WoW Class Panel along with Tom Chilton.
- At BlizzCon 2011, when asked why Ghostcrawler seemed to hate paladins, Blizzard's staff answered that a ret paladin killed his parents.
- He participated in the September 11, 2012 World of Warcraft Developer AMA on reddit.
- He posted a lot of blogs for the Developer Watercooler.
- Greg Street about his job: "Systems design specifically is everything that is not level, story, quest or encounter design. My team handles everything from classes to mechanics to items to trade skills to achievements to UI design, and that includes the game balance."
- ^ Re: No crabs on Tourney Realm seriously? (2009-02-18). Archived from the original on 2010-10-22. Retrieved on 2009-02-18.
- ^ BlizzCon 2010 Class Q&A panel
- ^ a b Linkedin.com. Retrieved on 2011-10-06.
- ^ The Impact of Having A Turtle Make It To The Water. Wowhead (2018-09-13). Retrieved on 2018-09-15.
- ^ Boubouille 2013-11-27. Ghostcrawler to leave Blizzard Entertainment. MMO-Champion. Retrieved on 2013-11-27.
- ^ a b Ghostcrawler 2013-11-27. So Long, and Thanks for All the Spectral Fish. Retrieved on 2013-11-27.
- ^ Ghostcrawler is Now Lead Game Designer at Riot Games. MMO-Champion (2014-01-14). Retrieved on 2014-01-14.
- ^ Greg Street 2013-12-05. For the immediate future, this is now @OccupyGStreet, at least until a better name strikes me..
- ^ 8 year old wants to talk to Blizzard (2013-01-08).
- ^ InsideMacGames. Retrieved on 2009-02-09.
- ^ HeavenGames. Retrieved on 2009-02-08.
- ^ ZOMG RET! (2008-10-15). Archived from the original on 2008-10-15. Retrieved on 2011-10-28.
- ^ Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Server. The Daily Blink. Retrieved on 2011-10-28.
- ^ Scott Andrews 2013-01-18. WoW Archivist: Many memes, handle it. Retrieved on 2016-01-29.
- ^ Elizabeth Harper 2015-10-15. Breakfast Topic: Our moose, as foretold by the prophecy. Retrieved on 2016-01-31.
- ^ MMO-Champion - Blizzcon 2010 - WoW Quests and Lore Panel. Retrieved on 2016-03-23.
- ^ Blizzcon 2010 - Hey Ghostcrawler! Where's Our Moose. Retrieved on 2016-03-23.
- ^ Zarhym 2012-09-11. World of Warcraft Developer AMA. Retrieved on 2012-09-13.
- ^ WoW Forums. Archived from the original on 2010-10-22. Retrieved on 2009-02-08.