Today, 9/19, is the 6th Anniversary of Gamepedia's launch. Join us for an all-day Mega Stream on the Gamepedia Twitch channel! In addition, all users who log in during the anniversary week will receive a special achievement.
Grunts appeared as units on the orc or Horde side in Warcraft, Warcraft II and Warcraft III. They are the classic counterpart to human footmen but are stronger than them in Warcraft III, with one grunt being able to overcome two footmen in Exodus of the Horde. They do, however, cost much more. In all the strategy games they are voiced by Bill Roper.
This section concerns content related to Warcraft: Orcs & Humans.
- Main article: Grunt (Warcraft I)
Grunts were the first level of warrior in the service of the orc's armies. Trained for close combat, these soldiers made excellent fodder for wading through human forces. Use of the axe and shield was their specialty, and they were hearty fighters with a taste for blood.
- Main article: Grunt (Warcraft II)
Those orcs who distinguished themselves enough in the arts of war to be trained as grunts epitomized the merciless spirit of the Horde. Equipped with mighty axes and battle-worn armor, they were prepared to fight to the death. Devoted to the Horde and to their clans, the grunt lusted for battle - wanting nothing more than to wade into the field of carnage and die a bloody death surrounded by the bodies of his fallen enemies.
Veteran grunts were sometimes put at work in blacksmith shops due to their understanding of the value of strong steel. Some grunts were also former raiders, degraded to being footsoldiers after their ranks were disbanded by Orgrim Doomhammer.
- Main article: Grunt (Warcraft III)
Grunts are the first and last line of the Horde's defense. These powerful fighters arm themselves with mighty battle-axes and display all of the savagery and cunning of their race. In past generations, grunts were characterized by their depravity and brutality. But now, under the visionary leadership of Thrall, the grunts more closely resemble their savage, yet noble ancestors.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
- Grunts are now commonly used as guards in orcish Horde cities and towns such as Orgrimmar and Razor Hill, but also in other orcish settlements throughout Azeroth, Outland and alternate Draenor.
- Curiously, grunts are missing their signature horned helmets. There was a grunt armor set during the alpha complete with a helmet, but for some reason it did not make into the final release. The Orc Grunts used as pawns in the Karazhan chess event lack helms entirely. The Horde Grunts of the Battle for Mount Hyjal event wear a horned helmet, albeit with a different design. The Warsong Armor transmog set finally came with an horned helmet, and some Warspear grunts also wear unique helmets.
- The armor of the Horde grunts was made heavier during the War against the Lich King to combat the cold weather of Northrend.
- Orc marines are a force of specialized grunts.
- Gar'Thok - Durotar
- Grunt Kor'ja - Durotar
- Grunt Mojka - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Korf - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Maug - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Bek'rah - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Logmar - Barrens
- Grunt Dogran - Barrens
- Grunt Gargal - Badlands
- Grunt Zuul - Swamp of Sorrows
- Grunt Tharlak - Swamp of Sorrows
- Grunt Umgor - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Ounda - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Grahk - Blade's Edge Mountains
- Grunt Gritch - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Grikee - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Ragefist - Borean Tundra
- Greela "The Grunt" Crankchain - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Komak - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Koma - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Wabang - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Thathung - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Soran - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Karus - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Grimful - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Nolo - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Meena - Orgrimmar
- Grunt Arhung - Orgrimmar
- Scroot - Frostwall
- Grunt Baranka
- Den Grunt - Durotar
- Razor Hill Grunt - Durotar
- Orgrimmar Grunt - Orgrimmar
- Warsong Grunt - Ashenvale
- Splintertree Raider - Ashenvale
- Stonetalon Grunt - Stonetalon Mountains
- Blackrock Grunt - Redridge Mountains
- Dragonmaw Grunt - Wetlands
- Hammerfall Grunt - Arathi Highlands
- Grom'gol Grunt - Stranglethorn Vale
- Stonard Grunt - Swamp of Sorrows
- Kargath Grunt - Badlands
- Orgrimmar Legion Grunt - Silithus
- Might of Kalimdor Grunt - Silithus
- Scarshield Grunt - Blackrock Spire
- Firebrand Grunt - Blackrock Spire
- Bleeding Hollow Grunt - Hellfire Peninsula
- Shattered Hand Grunt - Hellfire Peninsula
- Thrallmar Grunt - Hellfire Peninsula
- Mag'har Grunt - Hellfire Peninsula
- Stonebreaker Grunt - Terokkar Forest
- Thunderlord Grunt - Blade's Edge Mountains
- Orc Grunt - Karazhan
- Horde Grunt - Battle for Mount Hyjal
- Shadowmoon Grunt - Black Temple
- Conquest Hold Grunt - Grizzly Hills
- Warsong Hold Grunt - The Storm Peaks
- Off-Duty Grunt - Orgrimmar
- Orgrimmar Defender - Ragefire Chasm
- Gunship Grunt - Gilneas
- Mountainfoot Grunt - Azshara
- Valormok Grunt - Azshara
- AWOL Grunt - Azshara
- Hellscream Grunt - Ashenvale
- Grol'dom Grunt - Northern Barrens
- Rageroar Grunt - Southern Barrens
- Desolation Grunt - Southern Barrens
- Krom'gar Grunt - Stonetalon Mountains
- New Kargath Grunt - Badlands
- Stonard Warrior - Swamp of Sorrows
- Stonard Defender - Swamp of Sorrows
- Cavern Grunt - Abyssal Depths
- Baradin Grunt - Tol Barad
- Fallen Grunt - Tol Barad
- Axebite Grunt - Twilight Highlands
- Rok'nah Grunt - Theramore's Fall
- Brawl'gar Arena Grunt - Brawl'gar Arena
- Garrosh'ar Grunt - The Jade Forest
- Twinspire Grunt - The Jade Forest
- Sha-Touched Grunt - Shrine of Two Moons
- Dominance Grunt - Krasarang Wilds
- Bloodhilt Grunt - Lion's Landing
- Kor'kron Grunt - Durotar
- Kor'kron Grunt - Siege of Orgrimmar
- Dragonmaw Grunt - Siege of Orgrimmar
- Dragonmaw Elite Grunt - Siege of Orgrimmar
- Ironmarch Grunt - Blasted Lands
- Black Iron Grunt - Upper Blackrock Spire
- Blackrock Grunt - Tanaan Jungle & Frostfire Ridge
- Iron Grunt - all over Draenor
- Grom'kar Grunt - all over Draenor
- Iron Horde Grunt - Shadowmoon Valley
- Gul'var Grunt - Shadowmoon Valley
- Frostwall Grunt - Frostwall
- Frostwolf Grunt - Frostfire Ridge
- Warspear Grunt - Ashran
- Vol'jin's Pride Grunt - Talador
- Garrison Grunt - Talador
- Axefall Grunt - Spires of Arak
- Shattered Hand Grunt - Spires of Arak
- Mok'gol Grunt - Nagrand
- Wounded Grunt - Tanaan Jungle
- Vol'mar Grunt - Tanaan Jungle
- Bleeding Grunt - Hellfire Citadel
Notes & trivia
Warsong Offensive grunt armor.
On the Battle for Azeroth Horde wallpaper.
Orc minions in the animated short Hearth and Home look like grunts.
Urk from the Heathstone animated shorts looks like a grunt.
- ^ Warcraft: Orcs & Humans manual, Orcish Horde of the First War, Grunt
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Ground Units of the Orcish Horde, Grunt
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, Orc Buildings, Blacksmith
- ^ Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness manual, The History of Orcish Ascension, The First War of Orcish Ascension
- ^ Blizzard Entertainment. Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos Manual, 86.
- ^ File:WoW computergaming extract.jpg