A flight master is an NPC who offers a character the opportunity to obtain flight paths and to fly to other flight masters through those flight paths. They can usually be found at a roost or nest of flying transportation mounts, which are often either bats, gryphons, hippogryphs, wyverns, or dragonhawks — usually depending on the race of the flight master. To discourage players from attacking flight masters, they are usually max level elites (rarely non-elites) and spawn two additional aggressive max-level elite beasts of the appropriate transportation animal when attacked by opposite faction players.
Not all flight masters are of the same level. This is usually due to two reasons: only being available to one faction due to phasing, and so are invisible to the opposite faction and not attackable, or being a neutral faction, and thus not attackable at all. Flight masters don't attack players of the opposite side unless they are themselves attacked, nor help you if you are attacked by players of the opposite side.
Some flight masters, such as several in Hellfire Peninsula, only have one option to fly to and this is usually not very far away. Bomb-dropping quests usually use this sort of flight master.
- Your pointer will change when you move it over a flight master:
- interact with flight master flight master out of range
- New Flight Path
- If a flight master has a new flight path for you to discover, a green exclamation point () will appear over its head and as an icon on your minimap. As of Patch 4.1.0, most flight paths were learned automatically when a character became the appropriate level to use them, but as of Patch 5.2.0 this automatic learning was removed to encourage exploration.
- Death knights started out with most of their faction's flight points learned upon completing their opening questline, but this is now no longer the case.
- Obtained Flight Path
- After you have discovered a flight path you can track it on your minimap. It will appear as a winged boot () at its location.
- Most flight masters have common titles you can identify them with:
- Alliance: <Gryphon Master>, <Hippogryph Master>, <Darnassus Flight Master>
- Horde: <Bat Handler>, <Wind Rider Master>, <Dragonhawk Master>, <Thunder Bluff Flight Master>
- Neutral: <Flight Master>, <Flightmaster>, <Gryphon Master>, <Emerald Circle Flight Master>, <Spectral Gryphon Master>, <Dragonhawk Master>