- For the Brawler's Guild NPC, see Guardian Spirit (Brawler's Guild).
Guardian Spirit is a a level 54 Holy priest ability. It causes a friendly target to receive 40% increased healing for 10 seconds. If the target dies while under the effect of the spell, the Guardian Spirit will prevent death by sacrificing itself and restore 40% of the target's maximum health - massive amounts of damage will however not trigger this effect. Guardian Spirit can be cast while stunned.
- Any target can only benefit from Guardian Spirit once every 60 seconds (internal cooldown).
- Guardian Spirit prevents death, it will not reset a target's threat.
- Guardian Spirit is not affected by the global cooldown.
- Guardian Spirit is able to heal critically.
- Guardian Spirit won't prevent death from fall damage.
- The maximum amount that can be healed by Guardian Spirit is 200% of the maximum health of the caster. Previously, it appeared to be roughly 100,000 health.
Should the target get a fatal blow while under the effect of Guardian Spirit, the Guardian Spirit will prevent the target from dying, and in addition heal the target for 40% of their maximum health. However, as Guardian Spirit's heal is increased by effects that increases healing done (and received), in practice it will always heal for more than 40%.
The Holy priest mastery is also procced by Guardian Spirit, providing at least an additional 10% of the total heal, over 6 seconds. Additional Mastery will of course increase this amount.
Tips and tactics
- This is the Holy priest's panic button when a party member is about to die.
- Casting Guardian Spirit on the tank will allow the priest to heal other party members, while the tank is safe.
- Using a macro or addon to announce your target is highly recommended.
- Because of the unpredictability of incoming damage, care must be taken to cast Guardian Spirit at the right time in order to save the target. If cast too late, server lag or an unexpected damage spike may cause your target to die; if cast too early, the effect may expire before the target reaches 0 health.
Guardian Spirit has 2 functions: to increase healing received, and to provide an emergency heal should the target die. While saving Guardian Spirit as an emergency cooldown can be very effective in preventing wipes, the spell's 40% healing increase should not be overlooked. With only a 4-minute cooldown it can be used regularly to boost healing and conserve mana. However it is usually more advantageous to allow the target to 'die' while under the effect, in order to benefit from the spell's 'sacrifice' heal. Announcing your target before allowing your target to 'die' is usually a good idea.
The optimal amount of healing can be gained from Guardian Spirit by healing the spell's target for a few seconds before allowing them to 'die'. As the buff is consumed in order to save the target from death, the 40% healing increase will only be available before the Guardian Spirit sacrifices itself.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2017-10-03): "Guardian Spirit's heal should now be more responsive when the target is being attacked from multiple sources."
- Hotfix (2016-08-08): "When Guardian Spirit expires without saving the target from death, Guardian Angel now reduces its remaining cooldown to 90 seconds (was 120 seconds)."
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Now increases healing taken by 40% (down from 60%) and heals for 40% of maximum health (down from 50%), but only if the target doesn't take massive amounts. Cooldown increased from 3 minutes to 4 minutes.
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): has been removed. Guardian Spirit can now always be cast while stunned.
- Patch 4.3.0 (2011-11-29): Healing received while under the buff has been increased by 60%, up from 40%.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): The absorb/heal from this ability can now never exceed 200% of the maximum health of the caster.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): A target may now have only one Guardian Spirit active.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.