The Gurubashi Arena (also known simply as the Arena), is located in the jungles of Cape of Stranglethorn, just north of Booty Bay. The Arena is an old relic of the mighty Gurubashi Empire, which once controlled vast tracts of land in the southern regions of the Eastern Kingdoms.
BackgroundThis section contains information from the Warcraft RPG which is considered non-canon.
This is one of the few places one can visit in Stranglethorn Vale and not expect to be immediately captured and killed. The ancient Gurubashi trolls built a huge gladiatorial arena many years ago, and it stands in ruins now — though the remaining Gurubashi still hold games within the Arena. Some of the participants are volunteers, and some are captured travelers or adventurers who were sold to the Arena by other troll tribes. The more well known gladiators are very popular, and much can be won and lost in gambling over these games.
While the Arena is relatively safe compared to the other areas of Cape of Stranglethorn, it is not a friendly place. Desperate people will cut another's throat or their purse to pay a gambling debt, and thugs working for the Arena will snatch people if the competition needs some variety. Still, it is a good place to stock up on weapons and supplies from the several goblin merchants in the area. The Arena has the region’s most diversified population. Most of the Horde races make their home here; the orcs like the competition of the Arena, and the Darkspear trolls will stay where the orcs do.This section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
The sub-region "Gurubashi Arena" covers a wide area around the arena itself. Within the actual arena, the stands and that area are a contested area not technically part of Cape of Stranglethorn called The Great Arena, but in the actual ring PvA is enabled; players may attack or be attacked by any players from either faction, except those within your party.
The arena is still in use for the Gurubashi Arena Booty Run. This arena was built by Gurubashi Empire, but endured the long ages from its fall. In these times, it is often used by pirates for entertainment: Every 3 hours starting from midnight, the pirate captain places a chest with some precious booty into the middle of arena and the crew is then entertained by the bloody battle that occurs. Any adventurer can join the battle! A universal PvP flag is enabled when you enter the floor of the arena.
Gurubashi Arena Booty Run
The Bloodsail Pirates have a penchant for illicit after-hours activities, especially those involving mass combat and treasure. To see that his crew has its nightly fill of extracurricular entertainment, a lone pirate captain will drop a chest in the center of the Arena starting at midnight, and again every three hours at 3 a.m. 6 a.m. 9 a.m. 12 p.m. 3 p.m. 6 p.m. 9 p.m. and back to midnight the chest drops. Be the first to get to the chest and loot it - while fighting off everyone else trying to do the same - and you'll reap the reward it holds. Of course, the arena is a PvA area, so there might be other players who are trying to open it first.
Within Arena Treasure Chest adventurers can frequently find Superior Healing Potions, Greater Healing Potions, and Mana Potions. Rare as well as uncommon equipment can also be found inside the chest. Some notable equipment exclusive to the treasure chest are:
- - Rare Mail Wrist
- - Rare Leather Wrist
- - Rare Plate Wrist
- - Rare Cloth Wrist
- - Uncommon Trinket, always in chest
- - Garrison Jukebox roll added in 6.1
In addition, through the quests and , the rare trinket can be obtained. Adventurers must hand in 12 Arena Masters to inside the arena to obtain the rare trinket.
Both the and the are Bind on Pickup, and the Arena Master requires level 35 to use.
- Though twinks with this trinket, they can complete the quest and receive the . requires level 35 to equip, the quest it starts does not. So while there can't be any level <35
- As of patch 5.1, all event times, including the Arena event, are now based on PST for North American realms, and EST for Oceanic realms, regardless of your realm's time zone.
Gurubashi Arena Digsite
The area surrounding the Gurubashi Arena is a troll archaeology dig site. Note that to date, no artifact fragments have been found within the arena itself. It seems likely that arena spectators over the centuries have made off with what the janitors left behind.
- Patch 1.4.0 (2005-05-05):
- There is now a regular event in Gurubashi Arena in Stranglethorn Vale. Every three hours starting at midnight, a pirate with too much treasure on his hands will drop a chest in the center of the arena. Whoever can open the chest first gets the contents! Of course, the arena is a PvP Free for All area, so there might be other players who are trying to open it first...
- Players no longer will get stuck in a location at Gurubashi Arena in Stranglethorn Vale.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): The arena in Stranglethorn Vale has been changed so that free-for-all PvP will only take place on the floor of the arena, and no longer in the stands or on the entrance ramp. Please keep in mind that on PvP realms, members of the opposite faction can still attack you anywhere in the arena because Stranglethorn Vale is a contested area.
- ^ a b Arthaus. Lands of Conflict, 56. ISBN 9781588469601.
- ^ Official World of Warcraft information on Gurubashi Arena Booty Run
- ^ http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7200062357