October 18 - November 1 (2020)
[22-122+] Headless Horseman
- 1 New in Battle for Azeroth
- 2 Background
- 3 Holiday boss: Headless Horseman
- 4 Collectables
- 5 Quests
- 6 Earning Tricky Treats
- 7 Tricky Treat vendors
- 8 Achievements
- 9 Ceremonies
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Previous additions by year
- 12 In the RPG
- 13 See also
- 14 Patch changes
- 15 References
- 16 External links
Hallow's End is an annual Halloween-inspired seasonal event that takes place during the latter half of October.
- "When the decorations of Hallow's End light up Azeroth's cities, you know there's mischief afoot! Seek special vendors in Orgrimmar or Ironforge and get your hands on treats! Aid a sick orphan in a little trick-or-treating! Darkcaller Yanka, attending the Forsaken's Wickerman Festival, and Sergeant Hartman of Southshore are seeking your aid in keeping the enemy out of their holiday affairs - are you up to the challenge?"
New in Battle for Azeroth
- Loot from the Headless Horseman is ilvl 395 (at level 120)
- Mission Get Spooky is added.
- Candy Bucket added in Snug Harbor Inn.
- Candy Bucket added in Great Seal.
- (150 )
- Loot from the Headless Horseman is ilvl 335 (at level 120)
- Speak to Zidormi to change phases to the pre-siege version of Tirisfal Glades and Darkshore for various quests
Arthas: Rise of the Lich King
Hallow's End was celebrated in Lordaeron. There were several smaller festivals leading up to Hallow's End. One was somber, one was celebratory, and this one was a bit of both. It was believed to be a time when the barrier between the living and the dead was thin, and those who had passed on could be sensed by those still alive. Tradition had it that at the end of the harvest season, before the winds of winter began to blow, that a straw effigy would be erected right outside the palace. At sunset on the night of the ceremony, it would be lit on fire. It was an awesome sight—a giant flaming wicker man, burning bright against the encroaching night. Anyone who wished could approach the fiery effigy, toss a branch into the cracking flames, and in so doing metaphorically “burn away” anything he did not wish to carry into the quiet, deep reflection time provided by winter's enforced inactivity, such as emotions (fears, sorrows, old loves, new hates). It was a peasant ritual, sprung up from time immemorial. Once, the effigy was burned by Jaina Proudmoore.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
Hallow's End marks the day the group of undead, who would later be known as the Forsaken, broke free of the Lich King's dominance and once again regained their free will. They celebrate this occasion by setting fire to a wickerman after a short speech from Sylvanas herself and smearing the ashes across their faces.
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
The humans of the Alliance have continued their traditional Hallow's End celebrations, even though they didn't quite understand the reasons for doing so, in the hopes of a brighter future despite the losses of the three great wars against the Scourge and Horde. Since the Cataclysm, the worgen of Gilneas have brought with them a deeper understanding of the origins of Hallow's End back to their old and new allies in the Alliance, and in particular, reintroduced the practice of burning a wickerman. Genn Greymane was invited to speak for the length of Hallow's End to celebrants just outside Stormwind's city gates, just as Sylvanas now does near the inner entrance to the Undercity.
Warlords of Draenor
This section concerns content related to Warlords of Draenor.
Coincidentally, at this same time of year on Draenor there is a strange surge of spiritual energy. Beckoned by this phenomenon, a ghastly fleet of undead orc pirates called the Bonefleet emerges from the mist. The Bonefleet is led by a savage pirate known as Captain Bonerender. He seeks nothing more than the complete destruction of all of the living of Draenor.
This section concerns content related to Legion.
The story behind the tree is linked to four sisters who had been accused of many crimes. As punishment, they were sentenced to death by hanging at the Crooked Tree. The youngest managed to escape when the noose around her neck loosened. She returned many years later, to put her sisters' souls at peace.
Battle for Azeroth
This section concerns content related to Battle for Azeroth.
Holiday boss: Headless Horseman
He always directly drops a piece or two of loot, which scales up to item level 335 at max level:
Toys are available for purchase with Tricky Treats for 150 each:
- (from Arachnis)
Most pets are available for purchase with Tricky Treats for 150 each:
One pet is a quest reward from an eight-step quest chain:
Other pets can be captured in the player's Garrison after purchasing and using :
Cosmetic armor, costume sets, and pet disguises
Four cosmetic helms can be found inside the from the daily quest in Val'sharah:
Intro and emotes
This one-time quest awards 10 and involves emoting to innkeepers in various capital cities. Level 110-and-above players will need to speak to Zidormi in Darkshore and outside the Ruins of Lordaeron to change to the old phase in order to complete these quests.
Shade of the Headless Horseman
At the low-level quest hubs outside most capital cities, the Shade of the Horseman attacks with some frequency. The daily quests award several . Level 110-and-above players will need to speak to Zidormi outside the Ruins of Lordaeron to change to the old phase in order to complete these quests in Brill.
- / - breadcrumb from capital cities to first quest hubs (Goldshire, Kharanos, Azure Watch, Razor Hill, Brill, or Falconwing Square)
- Fire Brigade Practice / Fire Training
Attacking Stormwind/Undercity dailies
These dailies are required for the achievement and award 1-3 each for a total of 9 per day. Level 110-and-above players will need to speak to Zidormi outside the Ruins of Lordaeron to change to the old phase in order to complete the quests in Tirisfal Glades.
- – available at each Candy Bucket located in the inn of almost every town
At Lunarfall or Frostwall on Draenor, quest givers tell of rumors that the ghostly Bonefleet has returned to the Isle of Shadows in southern Shadowmoon Valley. Each quest rewards one or two , which can be converted into at an even conversion rate.
Under the Crooked Tree
Earning Tricky Treats
There are a few sources to earn Tricky Treats each day:
- 4-6 in the from the Headless Horseman
- ~20 from daily quests
The biggest source is from Candy Buckets at many inns. There are 133 buckets available to the Alliance, and 138 available to the Horde. Each Handful of Treats contains 0-3 . The full list is on the Candy Bucket article.
Tricky Treat vendors
- Candy & Toy Vendor
- Dorothy sells items just outside the gates of Stormwind City.
- Chub sells items in the Ruins of Lordaeron.
|150||Mount (holiday only)|
|150||Cooking fire (Toy)|
- Mask Vendor
- Spanky sells items just outside the gates of Stormwind City.
- Farina sells items in the Ruins of Lordaeron.
- Wand Vendor
These children sell Hallowed Wands for 2 :
|Receive a handful of treats from one of the Candy Buckets located in an inn.||10|
|Eat so many Tricky Treats that you get an upset tummy.||10|
|Kill the Headless Horseman.||10|
|Complete one of the quests to save a village from the Headless Horseman.||10|
|Obtain a Mask during Hallow's End.||10|
|Collect the 24 unique Masks listed below.
|Show off your sparkling smile by using a .||10|
|Ruin Hallow's End for the Horde and foil their attempts to wreck the Alliance celebration by completing the following quests.
|Ruin Hallow's End for the Alliance and foil their attempts to wreck the Horde celebration by completing the folowing quests.
|Earn 10 honorable kills while under the influence of the buff. It's a slap in the face!||10|
|Use Weighted Jack-o'-Lanterns to put pumpkin heads on each of the races listed below.
|Get Transformed by the Hallowed Wands listed below.
|Obtain a pet and .||10|
|Visit the Candy Buckets in Kalimdor.||10|
|Visit the Candy Buckets in Eastern Kingdoms.||10|
|Visit the Candy Buckets in Outland.||10|
|Visit the Candy Buckets in Northrend.||10|
|Visit the Candy Buckets in Cataclysm zones.||10|
|Visit the Candy Buckets in Pandaria.||10|
|Complete the Tricks or Treats achievements:
|Find Pepe wearing his spooky scarecrow costume.||10|
At 4:10pm, 8:10pm, and midnight in the Ruins of Lordaeron, Lady Sylvanas Windrunner makes an appearance and gives the following speech:
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Children of the grave, heed my call!
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: In life, we suffered unspeakable tragedies.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: We watched as our homes were razed to the ground.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: We cried out in agony as our families were cut down before our eyes.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Finally, in the face of such atrocities, we were denied even the release of death.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: Now, we burn this wickerman as a symbol of our victory against old enemies!
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: We paint our faces with the ash to send a message to new enemies - a declaration to those who fear and revile us as monsters.
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: To those who would question our place in this world...
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: We are NOT monsters! We are NOT the mindless wretches of a ghoul army!
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: No... we are a force even more terrifying...
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: We are the chill in a coward's spine...
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: We are the instruments of an unyielding ire...
- Lady Sylvanas Windrunner yells: WE ARE THE FORSAKEN!!!
At 4:10pm, 8:10pm, and midnight outside Stormwind City, King Genn Greymane makes an appearance to give a speech.
- Ten minutes before Genn's speech:
- Celestine of the Harvest yells: The Wickerman festivities will begin in ten minutes! Please join us just outside the gates of Stormwind City and celebrate Hallow's End!
- Genn Greymane yells: Sons and daughters of Gilneas! Friends and allies old and new! Please, come close!
- Genn Greymane yells: As you know, Hallow's End is a celebration of transition... of change.
- Genn Greymane yells: The people of Gilneas understand the gravity of change all too well.
- Genn Greymane yells: For we have endured much... far beyond what any of us could have imagined.
- Genn Greymane yells: However, this is a time of neither mourning nor grief.
- Genn Greymane yells: It is an opportunity to mock the fearsome - to gaze boldly into the grim unknown and laugh!
- Genn Greymane yells: It is a time to celebrate new friends and the future we may forge together.
- Genn Greymane yells: New struggles await us with each dawn, and uncertainty weighs upon us all.
- Genn Greymane yells: As you stand before me, I pray you cast your burdens behind me.
- Genn Greymane yells: Let this wickerman embody any unrest within us.
- Genn Greymane yells: With turmoil as tinder, let it blaze; may it temper us against what tomorrow may bring.
- Genn Greymane yells: Torches ready!
- Genn Greymane yells: Let the flames fly! Hallow's End is upon us!
- In Hearthstone, the Hallow's End card back was rewarded for achieving Rank 20 in Ranked Season 7, which took place during October 2014. The flavor text reads: "The Hallow’s End candy bucket! Or the Headless Horseman’s spare head! Stick your hand in and find out."
Previous additions by year
- Battle pet: (150 )
- Costume: (200 )
- Toys: and . Each (150 )
- The Headless Horseman loot is now ilvl 880.
- No longer needed to be max level to queue up for the Headless Horseman - must be at least level 23.
- Hallow's End Armor is now cosmetic and can be transmogged during Hallow's End.
- (450 )
- New additions for 2016:
- Costumes: (200 )
- Cosmetics: (5 )
- New daily quest to defeat Aria Sorrowheart for . Contains 5 and small chance for the cosmetic helm , , , or . You must be level 98 or higher for this quest.
- There are no Broken Isles Candy Bucket achievements but there are two new ones for each faction in Dalaran inside your faction's inn and the Legerdemain Lounge.
- Pets and pet-themed disguises are now sold by the vendors Pippi or Woim.
- Wands: (2 )
- New additions for 2015:
- Capturable battle pets: Ghastly Rat, Ghost Maggot, Spectral Spinner
- Toys: ,
- Wands: , ,
- The Bonefleet has returned
|5||Summons three holiday pets to battle, plus Arachnis, a rare mob who drops|
|5||Transforms the garrison's guards into festive appearances matching humanoid Hallowed Wands|
|5||Summons pumpkins, lanterns and other appropriate decorations for your garrison|
|5||Invites an arakkoan seer to your garrison, who in turn brings along some Ghastly Guests|
|5||A pandaren brew witch sets up outside the Town Hall, offering a special brew that transforms players into Alementals|
- New additions for 2014:
- Headless Horseman loot upgraded to 540
- Two new battle pets: and
- is now a Toy and goes in the Toy Box
- Five new wands: Abomination, Geist, Ghoul, Slime, and Spider
- Pug disguises: , , and
- Holiday boss:
- Mounts, battle pets, and toys:
- The Shade of the Horseman is terrorizing the villages of Azeroth!
- Each of the following towns is attacked by the shade of the Headless Horseman: Kharanos, Goldshire, Azure Watch, Razor Hill, Brill and Falconwing Square
- The attack begins with the horseman setting fires onto buildings within the town. Players must put out the fires using buckets of water. The horseman comes into the village and must be fought. He is level 11 and non-elite. When defeated, he leaves a pumpkin on the ground, which can be smashed for loot by every player.
- Black Cats are around cities... be careful though; if you kill one, you will gain "Bad Luck" for two hours. During this time, you will sense your impending doom... Has no effect on your stats, and is lost after death.
- Candy Buckets in all inns:
- A trick can: Turn you into a bat, cat, frog, human ghost, kitten, Mini Diablo, skeleton, pirate, ninja, or snake for 30 seconds; or Give you a costume for 60 minutes. Some costumes disallow you from casting and/or attacking, but you can cancel it anytime by right-clicking its buff icon.
- A treat can be: Various Masks for each sex of each playable race, free candy, Hallowed Wands that change others in your party into various forms, , or
- Apple bobbing tubs that give you .
- Candy vendors:
- Both and drop during the event, and can drop off identical mobs. The event sparks the beginning of the ability to find Pumpkin bags on humanoid mobs level 50 and higher outside of instances, however, almost any boss-type mob inside an instance has the chance to drop one. , an 18-slot bag, is added as a world drop as well.
In the RPG
The day was once used for a festival near the end of harvest for humans of Lordaeron and Stormwind. The Humans would throw branches onto the Wickerman in symbolism of their past regrets and failures, in the hopes that the fire of the Wickerman would burn them away to allow for a better future. The Forsaken later bastardized this practice, and now use the evening for their mysterious "Wickerman" rituals.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14):
- New items added for purchase, candy buckets updated with new model.
- Fires caused by the Headless Horseman's town attacks are now completely doused by water instead of just growing smaller.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Overhauled with new daily quests and an Alliance Wickerman.
- Patch 2.2.2 (2007-10-02): Headless Horseman holiday boss added.
- Patch 1.8.0 (2005-10-10): Added.