- Haunted Memento
The Haunted Memento dropped by any of the invading undead mobs in the Scourge Invasion event. Having this item in your inventory will give you the Haunted buff, resulting in an un-targetable and harmless Scourge Haunt to follow in your tracks. The effect will occur every so often, lasting for a short amount of time, so long as the item is in your inventory. The shade will be dismissed if the memento is placed in the bank. Catching this item triggers the /cower animation. The shade can also be dismissed by summoning a companion, though the buff remains. Likewise, if receiving the Memento while your companion is summoned, it will dismiss your companion. Entering stealth dismisses this pet, though again, the buff remains.
NOTE: This item cannot be obtained from level 6 undead in front of major cities.
Similar quest spawn and effect
Note: This effect is not caused by having the item, but having a quest. Having the item or not, the same effect is seen.
If an Alliance player possesses the Light-enfused Artifact quest item from the Special quest from Bishop Lazaril in Shattrath City outside Aldor Bank that sends you back to your race's home city, then a similar shadow known as "Frozen Shade" will whisper the player with many threatening phrases, promising victory to the Lich King and death to you and your loved ones if you do not join his forces.
Some phrases that have been heard thus far:
- The stench of that holy trinket you carry disgusts me...
- Why don't you discard it...
- My master has a message for you...
- It is this: Welcome.
- Welcome to a cold death.
- There is no honor fighting us when the end has already been written. Azeroth... will... die.
- If you struggle, then before your death you will face pain and horror and the loss of all you love.
- I see you...
- Join us, <name>. Swear allegiance to the Lich King. Give yourself to him and know peace... the peace you have been denied since your wailing, terrified birth.
- There. I found you...
- Your kingdoms will fall, <race>!
- Your mighty castles will crumble and your loved ones will join the Lich King's ranks!
- Ah, there you are...
- Say goodbye to those you love, <class>...
- I see you...
- What is that bauble you carry?
- Your little toy will not save you!
- The Light is no match for the Lich King's might!
- The item's proc was adjusted following the launch of Warlords of Draenor. Instead of spawning upon character log-in, character dismount, et cetera, it now appears for approximately 15 seconds every several minutes. This was implemented to improve server performance since Scourge Haunt was "the #1 source of spawn creatures in the game."
- An item with a similar buff was added for the Noblegarden world event, .
- Patch 6.0.3 (2014-10-28): The shade now only appears for approximately 15 seconds every several minutes.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): It is no longer possible to throw this item to other players.
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.