- "Some of our brethren prefer horses, but the hawkstrider will always be the true symbol of Silvermoon."
The hawkstrider is the blood elves' racial mount. As their name implies, hawkstriders resemble other members of the tallstrider family, though their plumage is both larger and more vibrant. They come in a variety of bright colors and have a thin, curved beak and burning orange eyes. Epic versions include decorative armor on the chest and head. The hawkstrider's movements exhibit the same rhythmic, back-and-forth motion which characterizes the other two-legged mounts. They use a heavily modified tallstrider model, but they possess a wildly different looking exterior and a unique standing-jump and running animation.
A hawkstrider has both avian and reptilian features, as does the typical rendition of a cockatrice, hinting at a relation between the two. Still, there is little resemblance between the two in-game.
When Kael'thas led his followers to the ruined world of Outland, the vibrant hawkstriders that were brought with them proved to be welcome reminders of the blood elves’ beauteous home in Quel'Thalas. Valued for their trustworthiness and speed, these colorful avian creatures embody the inherent splendor of the forests within the blood elven kingdom. While tragedy has befallen Quel’Thalas in recent years, the hawkstriders remain an integral part of the elves’ day-to-day lives.
- are currently the only hawkstriders that can be fought. They are used by the sEclipsion Bloodwarders and Eclipsion Cavaliers.
As a mount
- Main article: Hawkstrider mounts
Hawkstriders are sold by located at the exterior stables south of Silvermoon City in the Eastern Kingdoms. the Silvermoon Quartermaster in Icecrown also sells two unique hawkstriders. the Sunreavers Quartmaster also sells a hawkstrider.
|Mount Name||Availability||Required riding skill||Required Level|
|Black Hawkstrider||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Blue Hawkstrider||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Purple Hawkstrider||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Red Hawkstrider||1||Riding (75)||20|
|Swift Purple Hawkstrider||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Green Hawkstrider||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Pink Hawkstrider||10||Riding (150)||40|
|Sunreaver Hawkstrider||100||Riding (150)||40|
|Silvermoon Hawkstrider||100||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift Red Hawkstrider||5 500||Riding (150)||40|
|Swift White Hawkstrider||Kael'thas Sunstrider||Riding (150)||40|
As a companion pet
- Main article: Egbert's Egg
Quotes about hawkstriders
- "So I says I feel like chicken tonight. Next thing, I am flat out and that thing is trying to see what my eyes taste like." -
- "Their plumage is more beautiful than any other. Subtlety is for the birds! I mean... other birds." -
- "You watch what happens when their master is attacked and you will see those birds in a whole new light." - 
- "I demand speed, grace, and discipline on the battlefield.. this one will serve nicely." -
- "What do you mean is it dyed? Oh, the bird. We did touch up the red a little." -
- During the Burning Crusade beta, they were called cockatrices. The name was changed prior to release.
- The is the only hawkstrider available to members of the Alliance. Before Patch 3.0.8, it was also the only hawkstrider usable by tauren players.
- Hawkstriders are sometimes called "chocobos" by players due to their resemblance to the aforementioned Final Fantasy creature.