- Not to be confused with Felcular.
|Class||Necromancer, Warlock, Mage (formerly)|
|Former affiliation(s)||Cult of the Damned|
|Companion(s)||Puppet of Helcular|
Helcular can also be found accompanied by Kel'Thuzad, patrolling the road to and from Southshore in the Old Hillsbrad Foothills, accessed via the Caverns of Time. Prior to the shattering, he was deceased, but could be resurrected as Helcular's Remains, a level 44 elite undead, as part of the Helcular's Revenge quest chain. If attacked by Alliance he summons skeletons to attack them.
Helcular was a mage living in the Hillsbrad Foothills, presumably having some affiliation with Kel'Thuzad's Cult of the Damned (and later, possibly, the Scourge, as his appearance in Old Hillsbrad predates the debut of the Scourge plague). Helcular was preparing to transform himself into a lich when a human lynch mob from Southshore found the cave where he was performing the ritual, and subsequently murdered him. He was buried in the Southshore graveyard.
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
One of Helcular's apprentices, Novice Thaivand, resides at the town of Tarren Mill. Now a member of the Forsaken, he directed members of the Horde to find and begin the process of resurrecting him, so the dead mage could have his revenge on the people of Southshore.
This section concerns content related to Cataclysm.
Following his resurrection, and having survived his onslaught against Southshore, Helcular has decided to join to the Forsaken just as his apprentice did years before. Helcular now seeks to remove the worgen threat from the Banshee Queen's sphere of influence, and expresses the belief that his new opponent Ivar Bloodfang should have been killed in Silverpine. He seems to be eager to find a method by which to remove the worgen's immunity to the curse of undeath.
This section concerns content related to Legion.
During the Legion Invasions of Hillsbrad, Helcular led the forces of Azeroth in defending it, apparently having learned more powerful shadow magic as he used a variety of spells against demons in Tarren Mill. He was also mounted on a skeletal steed. He claimed that by defending Hillsbrad, the forces have successfully defended all of Lordaeron from invasion, but that the fight with the Legion is far from over.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Ruins of Southshore||44||5,064|
|Old Hillsbrad Foothills||38|
- Ruins of Southshore
In time, we will rebuild this place and restore it to its former glory - minus all of the annoying humans.
- Helcular says: Die in the name of the Dark Lady, <name>.
- Helcular says: The undead shall feast upon your soul, <name>.
- Helcular yells: Southshore will pay in blood!
- Helcular yells: I have risen!
- Helcular yells: Revenge shall be mine at last!
Conversation with Kel'Thuzad
At some point during their patrol in Old Hillsbrad, Kel'Thuzad and Helcular stop and begin conversing... a conversation that seems to indicate that Kel'Thuzad taught him the art of necromancy:
- Kel'Thuzad says: Keep your voice down, Helcular. Strangers abound...
- Helcular nods.
- Helcular says: So you can teach me this...this...
- Kel'Thuzad says: Necromancy. It is called necromancy. And yes, I have it within my power to bless you with this gift.
- Helcular says: And the Kirin Tor? What have they to say of necromancy?
- Kel'Thuzad says: That is none of your concern, Helcular, as you are neither Kirin Tor nor a necromancer.
- Kel'Thuzad says: But to be perfectly frank, I do not give a damn what the Kirin Tor think! They are fools, set in their archaic ways.
- Helcular says: Then teach me, Kel'Thuzad. Teach me everything you know...
- Kel'Thuzad nods.
- Kel'Thuzad says: In due time, Helcular... All in due time...
- If the pair encounter the Captured Critter that has been killed by the children Sally Whitemane and Renault Mograine then Kel'Thuzad continues.
- Kel'Thuzad says: Come, Helcular, let me give you a small taste...
- Kel'Thuzad utters some unintelligible words.
- The critter is brought back to life.
- Kel'Thuzad says: Now do you see, Helcular? Do you doubt the power? I control life!
- Kel'Thuzad says: And death...
- The critter dies again.
- Kel'Thuzad says: I'm still working out some minor details...
- Main article: Legion Invasions#Stages
- If attacked, Helcular will make various proclamations to his would-be assailants.
- During his first incarnation, Helcular and his summoned minions were more than powerful enough to annihilate Southshore and its guard force with ease. He would also target and mercilessly kill Alliance questers in his vicinity, though his prowess was touched down in a subsequent patch.
- The quests based around Helcular's "rod" have become something of a recurring meme among the playerbase.
- Helcular is voiced by Dwight Schultz in Legion.