|This article is a location stub. You can help expand it by editing it.
|It is requested that a screenshot or screenshots be included in this article to improve its quality.|
|Level: 98 - 110|
Below the Halls of Valor
Contested territory (PvP realms only)
Helheim (also called Hel) is the desolate realm of the val'kyr . She created it far below the Halls of Valor after having sealed 's fortress in an impregnable barrier. Here, the spirits of the dishonorable spend eternity in an endless futile battle, always seeking glory but never able to attain it. It is connected to Haustvald and is bound to Azeroth's oceans.
It is the polar opposite to the Halls of Valor: while the greatest vrykul warriors are brought to the Halls, the unworthy were pulled into Helheim upon their death. The kvaldir also raid the coastlines and brought souls here before they could be judged, thus robbing of potential champions for his Valarjar. Helya had also started stealing Valarjar souls, which caused Odyn to have enough of her and start the Trial of Valor.
Notes and trivia
- Dying here gives the "Lost Soul" debuff, which says that your soul now belongs to Helya.
- Helheim was intended to be the name of a 5-man dungeon in Stormheim, but was later renamed to the Maw of Souls during the alpha process.
- Hel is the name of the underworld in Norse mythology, ruled by the female being of the same name. It is one of the nine realms held in the branches and roots of the world tree Yggdrasil.
- Besides the vrykul ghosts, prisoners of Helheim also include a few tuskarr spirits. They were presumably brought there by the kvaldir attacking their settlements in Northrend during Wrath of the Lich King.
- Helheim is not part of the Shadowlands and is shrouded by ocean mists.