|Level: 98 - 110|
Below the Halls of Valor
Helheim (also called Hel) is the desolate realm of the val'kyr Helya. After sealing Odyn's fortress — the Halls of Valor — with an impregnable, magical barrier, Helya created Helheim as an enchanted refuge for herself and the other val'kyr far below the Halls, and bound it to Azeroth's great seas. Ocean mists soon enveloped Helheim and shrouded it from sight, and the realm became the final destination for many vrykul spirits after death.
However, the darkness that had long fested in Helya's heart transformed Helheim into a place of nightmare and shadow, and the vrykul souls who arrived in the realm were soon transformed into wraithlike kvaldir. Helheim is connected to Haustvald and Tideskorn Harbor. Here, the spirits of the dishonorable spend eternity in an endless futile battle, always seeking glory but never able to attain it.
Helheim is the polar opposite to the Halls of Valor: while the greatest vrykul warriors are brought to the Halls, the unworthy were pulled into Helheim upon their death. The kvaldir also raided the coastlines and brought souls here before they could be judged, thus robbing Odyn of potential champions for his Valarjar. Upon learning that Helya had started stealing Valarjar souls, he started the Trial of Valor to test the might of powerful champions which he would send to finish Helya once and for all.
Notes & trivia
- For his misdeeds, Bryndaor was cursed to guard the gates of Helheim for eternity.
- Dying in Helheim gives the "Lost Soul" debuff, which says that your soul now belongs to Helya.
- The Maw of Souls dungeon was named "Helheim" during the Legion alpha.
- Besides the vrykul ghosts, prisoners of Helheim also include a few tuskarr spirits. They were presumably brought there by the kvaldir attacking their settlements in Northrend during Wrath of the Lich King.
- Hel is the name of the underworld in Norse mythology, ruled by the female being of the same name. It is one of the nine realms held in the branches and roots of the world tree Yggdrasil.
Helheim's exact location is unknown. Chronicle stated that Helya created it "below the Halls of Valor". Then, it was bound to Azeroth's oceans. It may be within the physical world, or possibly inside the Abyssal Maw, given Helya's involvement in the creation of the Elemental Plane and the fact water elementals serve her in Helheim.