- This article is about the warlock spell. For the Outland zone, see Hellfire Peninsula. For the Outland dungeon hub, see Hellfire Citadel. For the Warlords of Draenor raid, see Hellfire Citadel (alternate universe).
- "Let the fire sear my flesh, so long as it burns my enemies as well."
As a channeled spell, interruptions can shorten the duration, thus reducing the spell's mana efficiency. Effects such as and can be useful to reduce pushback. However, since the spell has no cooldown, it is possible to re-cast it as often as necessary to continue to channel the effect.
If the warlock dies from this spell's effect, they take no durability damage. This allows the warlock to save some repair costs when faced with certain doom. In such a scenario, a warlock will typically use life tap to get low on health fast, then use Hellfire.
Hellfire receives 21% of your spell power per tic, for a total of 294% over the full duration.
Tips and tactics
This is a great spell to use with an experienced healer, if you're not being focused on, and in large groups of enemies. Once started you deal out tremendous damage but also receive as much. Compared to other AoEs, Hellfire is incredibly mana efficient, not taking into account the mana needed to heal. A popular combo is warlock/priest since minimizes channeling time lost, and if combined with other AoEs, mobs die fast and the warlock is never in danger of dying.
Warlocks are unable to resist the damage that Hellfire does to themselves.
If you predict a Cat Druid's or Rogue's attack, you may break his stealth with a timely use of Hellfire.
- Hellfire is a basic Warlock spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "It's spells like these that make it hard for Warlocks to get decent help."
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2012-10-01): "Hellfire no longer does damage immediately when it is initially cast, and now does the correct amount of damage over its 14 second duration."
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now a Demonology specialization ability. Duration reduces from 15 to 14 sec. Generates Demonic Fury.
- Patch 0.11 (2004-09-29): Duration, damage, and mana cost increased and is now instant cast.