Enemy of Nature,|
The Great Game Hunter,
The Butcher of Badlands,
The Stranglethorn Ripper,
Old Man Death,
Ol' Dirty D,
Father of the Bounty,
The Target of D.E.H.T.A.,
Greatest Hunter in all of Azeroth,
|Character class||Marksmanship Hunter|
|Affiliation(s)||Nesingwary Safari, Unseen Path|
Leader of the Nesingwary Safari and Nesingwary Base Camp, Champion of the Unseen Path;
Former leader of Nesingwary's Expedition
|Companion(s)||, , Kroshik, Stompy, silkwing, ironhide bull, direhorn, cypress condor (pets)|
- "Listen to me, lad, and I'll teach you everything you'll ever need to know."
Hemet Nesingwary is a quest giver and game hunter seen in Nagrand, Sholazar Basin, Valley of the Four Winds, alternate Nagrand and Highmountain. Considered the greatest hunter on Azeroth, he leads safaris to hunt the wildlife of Azeroth and beyond, and is the author of The Green Hills of Stranglethorn. He is generally to be found in the wild, camped out with a group of fellow hunters, surrounded by a variety of grizzly trophies collected from the native game of the area. Nesingwary and his cohorts tutor adventurers on the hunting and trapping of wild creatures.
Hemet fought in many battles alongside 's father, and has been described by his servant as a war hero of the Alliance. Nesingwary is the father of , who has taken over some of his father's duties in Stranglethorn in order to allow him to focus on new and even more exotic game in newly discovered lands.
- 1 History
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Quotes
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Patch changes
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Legends: The Thrill of the HuntThis section concerns content exclusive to the World of Warcraft manga.
Hemet was hired by the night elves of Nighthaven to track down a crazy furbolg that was terrorizing the elves. He chased him into the Winterspring where he almost caught him not for the interference of 's hunters. The furbolg escaped but one of the hunter recognized him to be the most famous hunter. They told him they were hunting a fox and Hemet joined them. After they found the animal's tracks, he immediately realized they were not after a fox and left them. He went after the tracks only to be attacked by a large cat, who turned out to be , a night elf druid. She explained that her nightsaber mount, Isis, had been killed by Creedy's group, who were bounty hunters. Isis had just given birth to three cubs which the bounty hunters intended to poach; their markings, which would fade as they got older, made their hides valuable to the unscrupulous that were willing to pay high prices for them.
Outraged that the bounty hunters would slaughter young animals that had no way or chance to defend themselves, Hemet immediately decided to help Teleena and her three cubs. They successfully escaped Creedy but the cruel hunter was able to shoot Teleena. Hemet took her to a nearby cave and managed to remove the bullet, but she later succumbed to her wound, asking him to take care of the three cubs before she died.
Nesingwary began with constructing traps, and fashioned a bow and arrows from the bush for silent takedowns, killing Creedy's hunters one by one. Hemet managed to pull Creedy into a trap and bound him to a tree. The furbolg Hemet had been hunting appeared and he allowed it to kill Creedy before shooting it. Hemet then collected Teleena's body, the cubs, and the furbolg and turned them over to her people.
He would once visit The Blue Recluse and recounted his story to and his cronies, having learned the true meaning of an honorable kill and the "thrill of the hunt". He then claimed the corpse of a tiger the cowardly Flint had trapped before shooting it, leaving Stormwind to bury the animal out in the wild.
World of WarcraftThis section concerns content exclusive to World of Warcraft.
Hemet Nesingwary was stationed in Stranglethorn Vale and was level 40, but has since increased both his level and his need for bigger game in Outland and Northrend. The Stranglethorn Vale quests he used to offer are now given by his son
The Burning CrusadeThis section concerns content exclusive to The Burning Crusade.
With the opening of the Dark Portal, Hemet Nesingwary saw this as an opportunity to hunt new prey. He traveled to Nagrand and set up camp and welcomes every one who wishes to join the hunt. His choice of target there appeared to be the clefthoof and is their champion. His ultimate target was .
Wrath of the Lich KingThis section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
During the war against the Lich King, Hemet Nesingwary has returned to Azeroth, moving his operations (via a boat crash landing this time) to the Nesingwary Base Camp, located in Sholazar Basin in western Northrend. (Evidently, his piloting skills have not improved.)
Unlike from the original WoW-to-BC transition, Nesingwary can still be found in Nagrand as well as Sholazar Basin. It was previously assumed that Hemet Jr. (or another son) would replace him in Nagrand, but this does not appear to be the case.
CataclysmThis section concerns content exclusive to Cataclysm.
Mists of PandariaThis section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
Hemet and his son make an appearance in Mists of Pandaria at Nesingwary's Safari near the south-west of the Valley of the Four Winds, in Pandaria. They have traveled here with a small group, having arrived by hot air balloon, (and not crashing for a change). After he had valley's wildlife hunted, his son wanted to step out of his father's shadow by hunting his own game hunt. Nevertheless, Hemet had to rescue Junior from the spell of .
Warlords of DraenorThis section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
The Alliance and Horde invited Hemet to come to Nagrand to hunt big game. However, when he got here, they instead told him to hunt the Warsong wolves. This made Hemet disappointed, as he wanted to hunt big game, and felt the domesticated wolves weren't worth the effort. He set up a "camp" in eastern Nagrand, just north of Hallvalor, and began drinking heavily.
If a player drinks with him, Hemet may sometimes appear in their garrison.
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
|This section is a lore stub.|
Spring Balloon Festival
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Valley of the Four Winds||86||26,520|
|Valley of the Four Winds||87||28,755|
|Nagrand (alternate universe)||99||15,900,200|
|Highmountain||101 - 110||401,117|
He is involved in the following quests in
- Stranglethorn Vale
Alternate NagrandThis section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
- Whatsh do you want? Can't you shee I'm trying to drinksss here? Pour yourshelf one.
- But, when I got here wasss that what they wantsh me to do? NO!
- That'sh no job for Hemet Neshingwary!
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
- Ya did a fine job takin' down that bird. Maybe I was wrong about you hunters up in that lodge. Clearly ya know what you're doin'. I'd be happy to hunt by your side again, as long as you're huntin' big game!
- Och, ya cannae beat the smell of fresh pine in the breeze.
- Ah, the thrill of the hunt!
- I hope ya like ta hunt!
- It's a fine day for a hunt.
- Keep that up, and I'll be hunting you next.
- You're trying ma patience!
- I don't have time for your nonsense!
- Happy hunting!
- May your aim be true.
- Hey, be safe out there.
- Nesingwary's Retreat
When spoken to:
- It doesn't get much better than this; the smell of fresh pine in the breeze, an abundance of game to be hunted.
- I won't be forgettin' that hunt anytime soon!
- A clean shot!
- I've got the target in my sights!
- This one counts as my kill!
- Hemet claims to have fought against the Burning Legion at some point. This was most likely during the Third War. Alternatively it could have happened at any point after the war in areas inhabited by the demons.
- His name is an anagram of the author Ernest Hemingway. Hemingway was an avid hunter, fisherman, and safari traveler. The theme of the "Great White Hunter" is common in his books. The Green Hills of Stranglethorn is a parody of Hemingway's Green Hills of Africa, a nonfiction work describing his safari adventures. Additionally, the achievements for finishing Hemet's quests in Outland and Northrend ( and , respectively) reference two other Hemingway books: Hills Like White Elephants and The Snows of Kilimanjaro.
- Before patch 2.0.1, Hemet Nesingwary could be found at Nesingwary's Expedition in Stranglethorn Vale. Now his son, , looks after the camp.
- The US PvE realm Server:Nesingwary US of the Emberstorm battlegroup is named after Hemet.
- can be fished up from the fountain in the version of Dalaran.
- Hemet appears as a legendary card in the Goblins vs Gnomes expansion for Hearthstone. His flavor text reads: "It's hard to make a living as a hunter in a world where beasts instantly reappear minutes after you kill them."
- He is also the fifth and penultimate (second to last) boss that new players face in the game's initial tutorial. Since his legendary card was only first introduced in the GvG expansion, he was the last of the tutorial bosses to be added as a collectible minion card to the game.
- Hemet reappears in the Journey to Un'Goro expansion in the form of Hemet, Jungle Hunter. His flavor text reads: "The goblin travel agency lost his luggage, but he's still having a great vacation!"
- Hemet is voiced by J.B. Blanc.
- Helga Nesingwary, daughter of Hemet, was to appear in Gorgrond. She would go insane and the players would help her regain the sanity.
Hemet as he appeared prior to Warlords of Draenor.
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Appearance in Valley of the Four Winds added.
- Patch 4.2.0 (2011-06-28): Appearance on Mount Hyjal added.
- Patch 3.0.3 (2008-11-04): Appearance in Sholazar Basin added.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Moved to Nagrand.
- Patch 2.0.1 (2006-12-05): Replaced by his son, in Stranglethorn Vale.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Hemet Nesingwary and his companions now like Horde players in addition to Alliance players.