Heroes of the Storm
|Heroes of the Storm|
|Heroes of the Storm beta box|
Heroes of the Storm, often shortened to Heroes or HotS (even though "HotS" can also refer to a Starcraft II expansion), is a Blizzard Entertainment "hero brawler" game which was initially inspired by the Defense of the Ancients custom map for Warcraft III. The game features characters from across the Warcraft, StarCraft, Blackthorne, The Lost Vikings, Diablo and Overwatch franchises, who are seized by an unknown force and brought together in a mysterious location known as the Nexus to do battle.
Heroes of the Storm is a team-based competitive game in which each player controls a powerful hero with unique abilities, and works with his or her team to invade and destroy the enemy team's base. However, it has a number of features which set it apart from other DOTA-style games. Experience is shared between all players on a team (so there is no benefit to last-hitting). There are no purchasable items (but characters can be customized by learning talents as they level up). All skills are unlocked at the beginning of a match (save for ultimate abilities, which are learned at level 10). Games are intended to last for about 20 minutes each, and each map has unique objectives.
Characters that are currently playable include:
- Blizzard Classics: The Lost Vikings
- Diablo: Auriel, Azmodan, Cassia, Diablo, Johanna, Kharazim, Leoric, Li-Ming, Malthael, Nazeebo, Sonya, The Butcher, Tyrael, Valla, Xul
- Overwatch: Ana, D.Va, Genji, Hanzo, Junkrat, Lúcio, Tracer, Zarya
- StarCraft: Abathur, Alarak, Artanis, Dehaka, Kerrigan, Lt. Morales, Nova, Probius, Raynor, Sgt. Hammer, Stukov, Tassadar, Tychus, Zagara, Zeratul
- Warcraft: , , Arthas, , Chen, , Chromie, E.T.C., Falstad, Garrosh, , Greymane, , Illidan, Jaina, Kael'thas, , Li Li, , Malfurion, , Muradin, , , Rehgar, , Samuro, , Sylvanas, , Tyrande, Uther, Valeera, Varian,
Characters that have been seen in artwork or trailers include:
- Warcraft: Gelbin
One of the game's features is the ability to purchase or earn skins for each character, with each skin often available in different color schemes alongside the 'traditional' colors. The simplest changes are the characters becoming more powerful in the Nexus as they gain levels, but others represent characters from the past, a different timeline, or even a parallel universe.
- What if...
- The Stormrage twins had their roles switched and Tyrande became a Warden?
- Tyrande was Tyrande Windrunner, the current descendant named after the first Sun Queen?
- Thrall embraced the power of the Aspect of Earth, becoming consumed by living rock and permanently changed?
- Uther survived his last battle with Arthas and later lead the Alliance forces in Northrend during WotLK?
- Uther was Arthur Light, humble lumberjack from British Columbia?
- In a world made from confections, Muradin was king of Kandy Mountain?
- Skins from other franchises heroes merging into Warcraft
- Cinematic Trailer
- Hero Trailer: Auriel
- Hero Trailer: Artanis
- Hero Trailer: Anub'arak
- Hero Trailer: Azmodan
- Hero Trailer: Brightwing
- Hero Trailer: Butcher
- Hero Trailer: Chen
- Hero Trailer: Cho'gall
- Hero Trailer: Chromie
- Hero Trailer: Gul'dan
- Hero Trailer: Jaina
- Hero Trailer: Johanna
- Hero Trailer: Kael'thas
- Hero Trailer: Kerrigan
- Hero Trailer: Kharazim
- Hero Trailer: Leoric
- Hero Trailer: Li Li
- Hero Trailer: Lt. Morales
- Hero Trailer: Medivh
- Hero Trailer: Muradin
- Hero Trailer: Murky
- Hero Trailer: Probius
- Hero Trailer: Rehgar
- Hero Trailer: Rexxar
- Hero Trailer: Samuro
- Hero Trailer: Stitches
- Hero Trailer: Sylvanas
- Hero Trailer: The Lost Vikings
- Hero Trailer: Thrall
- Hero Trailer: Tracer
- Hero Trailer: Tychus
- Hero Trailer: Tyrael
- Hero Trailer: Zagara
- Developer Interview
- Gameplay Sneak Peak
- Hero Skin: Azmodunk
- Hero Skin: Space Lord Leoric
- World Event: Gift of Winter Veil
- World Event: Love is in the Air
- World Event: Lunar Festival
- Forged by Fire: Heroes of the Storm BlizzCon 2016 Hero Trailer
- World Event: The Twelve Days of Winter Veil
- Cinematic: Hanamura Showdown
- World Event: Sun's Out, Gun's Out
- Gamescom 2017: Obey the Call
- The original name - Blizzard DOTA - was at the heart of a legal battle between Valve, who wanted to trademark "DOTA" for their own use, and Blizzard, who wanted to prevent the trademark so that it could be freely used by the gaming community. Ultimately, they decided that DOTA could be freely used non-commercially, while Valve retained exclusive rights to its commercial usage. As a result, Blizzard DOTA was renamed Blizzard All-Stars. Rob Pardo commented that the new title "ultimately better reflects the design of our game." On October 17, 2013, the game was renamed yet again to Heroes of the Storm.
- Blizzard does not use the terms "ARTS" or "MOBA", feeling that the game is more accurately described as a "hero brawler".