Heroes of the Storm
|Heroes of the Storm|
June 2, 2015
Heroes of the Storm, often shortened to Heroes or HotS (even though "HotS" can also refer to a Starcraft II expansion), is a Blizzard Entertainment "hero brawler" game which was initially inspired by the Defense of the Ancients custom map for Warcraft III. The game features characters from across the Warcraft, StarCraft, The Lost Vikings, Diablo and Overwatch franchises, who are seized by an unknown force and brought together in a mysterious location known as the Nexus to do battle.
On December 13, 2018, Blizzard decided to pull some developers to other projects and announce that the Heroes Global Championship and Heroes of the Dorm will not return in 2019.
Heroes of the Storm is a team-based competitive game in which each player controls a powerful hero with unique abilities, and works with his or her team to invade and destroy the enemy team's base. However, it has a number of features which set it apart from other DOTA-style games. Experience is shared between all players on a team (so there is no benefit to last-hitting). There are no purchasable items (but characters can be customized by learning talents as they level up). All skills are unlocked at the beginning of a match. Games are intended to last for about 20 minutes each, and each map has unique objectives.
87 hero characters that are playable are:
- 2 Original heroes: Orphea, Qhira
- 1 Blizzard Classic franchise hero: The Lost Vikings
- 18 Diablo franchise heroes: Auriel, Azmodan, Cassia, Deckard, Diablo, Imperius, Johanna, Kharazim, Leoric, Li-Ming, Malthael, Mephisto, Nazeebo, Sonya, The Butcher, Tyrael, Valla, Xul
- 8 Overwatch franchise heroes: Ana, D.Va, Genji, Hanzo, Junkrat, Lúcio, Tracer, Zarya
- 17 StarCraft franchise heroes: Abathur, Alarak, Artanis, Blaze, Dehaka, Fenix, Kerrigan, Lt. Morales, Nova, Probius, Raynor, Sgt. Hammer, Stukov, Tassadar, Tychus, Zagara, Zeratul
- 41 Warcraft franchise heroes: Alexstrasza, Anduin, Anub'arak, Arthas, Brightwing, Chen, Cho'gall (in-game as 2 heroes Cho and Gall), Chromie, E.T.C., Falstad, Garrosh, Gazlowe, Greymane, Gul'dan, Illidan, Jaina, Kael'thas, Kel'Thuzad, Li Li, Lunara, Maiev, Mal'Ganis, Malfurion, Medivh, Muradin, Murky, Ragnaros, Rehgar, Rexxar, Samuro, Stitches, Sylvanas, Thrall, Tyrande, Uther, Valeera, Varian, Whitemane, Yrel, Zul'jin
One of the game's features is the ability to purchase or earn skins for each hero, with each skin often available in different color schemes alongside the 'traditional' colors. Some skins represent characters from the past, a different timeline, or even a parallel universe such as:
- The Stormrage twins had their roles switched and Tyrande became a Warden.
- A version of Tyrande who is a blood elf descendant of her namesake, Tyrande Windrunner.
- Thrall embraced the power of the Aspect of Earth, becoming consumed by living rock and permanently changed.
- Uther survived his last battle with Arthas and later lead the Alliance forces in Northrend during WotLK.
- Uther was Arthur Light, humble lumberjack from British Columbia.
- In a world made from confections, Muradin was king of Kandy Mountain.
- A version of Rexxar from the StarCraft universe who is a mutated human called military ursine-handler Cpl. Rex Arkk.
- A version of Jaina that is a Dreadlord.
A model for Gelbin Mekkatorque has been shown been shown at past Blizzcons but he isn't currently in-game. Other characters Blizzard have considered from the Warcraft universe include Aggra, Azshara, Brann, Cenarius, Dagg'um Ty'gor, Deathwing, Dr. Boom, Gallywix, Grom, Harth, Hogger, Kil'jaeden, Moira, Varimathras, Vashj, Velen, and Vol'jin.
Battlegrounds or maps are the battlefields upon which the heroes do battle and matches are fought. Each battleground has a different layout as well as unique features that set it apart from the others.
14 battlegrounds that are currently playable are:
- 8 battlegrounds unique to Heroes of the Storm: Blackheart's Bay, Cursed Hollow, Dragon Shire, Garden of Terror, Haunted Mines, Sky Temple, Tomb of the Spider Queen, Towers of Doom.
- 2 Diablo franchise battlegrounds: Battlefield of Eternity, Infernal Shrines.
- 2 Overwatch franchise battlegrounds: Hanamura Temple, Volskaya Foundry.
- 2 Starcraft franchise battlegrounds: Braxis Holdout, Warhead Junction.
- 1 Warcraft franchise battleground: Alterac Pass.
Notes and trivia
- The original name - Blizzard DOTA - was at the heart of a legal battle between Valve, who wanted to trademark "DOTA" for their own use, and Blizzard, who wanted to prevent the trademark so that it could be freely used by the gaming community. Ultimately, they decided that DOTA could be freely used non-commercially, while Valve retained exclusive rights to its commercial usage. As a result, Blizzard DOTA was renamed Blizzard All-Stars. Rob Pardo commented that the new title "ultimately better reflects the design of our game." On October 17, 2013, the game was renamed yet again to Heroes of the Storm.
- Blizzard does not use the terms "ARTS" or "MOBA", feeling that the game is more accurately described as a "hero brawler".
- Carbot Animations drawn characters are shown in Heroes of the Storm as collectable portraits and sprays.
Chen split into elemental spirits using Storm, Earth, and Fire.
Illidan in Metamorphosis form.
Muradin in Avatar form.
Magni Muradin skin.
Rehgar in Ghost Wolf form.
- Skins from other franchises heroes merging into Warcraft
Creatures summoned by heroes
Banshees created by Sylvanas's basic ability Haunting Wave.
Bats created by Mal'Ganis's Heroic ability Carrion Swarm, also created by his Plague Bats talent.
Anub'arak's basic ability Scarab Host spawns a Beetle. Anub'arak's Heroic ability Locust Swarm creates locusts.
Boars created by Rexxar's Heroic ability Unleash the Boars.
Li Li's basic ability Cloud Serpent.
Eye of Kilrogg Gall's ability.
Thrall's basic ability Feral Spirit.
Mr. Bigglesworth appears as part of Kel'Thuzad's dance animation.
Murky's Heroic ability Octo-Grab.
Phoenix created by Kael'thas's Heroic ability Phoenix.
Murky's basic ability Pufferfish.
Tyrande's basic ability Sentinel (a owl).
Gazlowe's basic ability Rock-It! Turret creates a independent turret.
Shade created by Kel'Thuzad's Talent ability The Damned Return.
Sindragosa created by Arthas's Heroic ability Summon Sindragosa.
Rexxar's basic ability Spirit Swoop (a hawk).
Lunara's basic ability Wisp.
- Creatures summoned by Warcraft heroes unique to Heroes of the Storm
Harrison Jones escaping the Sky Temple.
Headless Horseman Towers of Doom boss mercenary.
Spirit Healers can be seen in the Towers of Doom and Alterac Pass battlegrounds.
Alterac Pass General Drek'Thar.
Alterac Pass orc melee minion, model also used for prison guards.
Alterac Pass dwarf rifleman ranged minion model.
Alterac Pass jungle troll ranged minion.
Alterac Pass gnoll model reaver minion (left) and mercenary (right).
Alterac Pass ice giant boss mercenary.
Alterac Pass sleeping orc peon.
- As Blizzard DOTA
- Unreleased content that was shown by Blizzard
Grunty Hero for Blizzard DOTA.
Ogre mercenary concept art as shown at BlizzCon 2011.
Goblin shop in Blizzard All-Stars.
Gelbin Mekkatorque model shown at BlizzCons still unused in-game.
Neo-Stormwind (concept for a Realm within the Nexus)
- Cinematic Trailer
- Hero Trailer: Auriel
- Hero Trailer: Artanis
- Hero Trailer: Anub'arak
- Hero Trailer: Azmodan
- Hero Trailer: Brightwing
- Hero Trailer: Butcher
- Hero Trailer: Chen
- Hero Trailer: Cho'gall
- Hero Trailer: Chromie
- Hero Trailer: Gul'dan
- Hero Trailer: Jaina
- Hero Trailer: Johanna
- Hero Trailer: Kael'thas
- Hero Trailer: Kerrigan
- Hero Trailer: Kharazim
- Hero Trailer: Leoric
- Hero Trailer: Li Li
- Hero Trailer: Lt. Morales
- Hero Trailer: Medivh
- Hero Trailer: Muradin
- Hero Trailer: Murky
- Hero Trailer: Probius
- Hero Trailer: Rehgar
- Hero Trailer: Rexxar
- Hero Trailer: Samuro
- Hero Trailer: Stitches
- Hero Trailer: Sylvanas
- Hero Trailer: The Lost Vikings
- Hero Trailer: Thrall
- Hero Trailer: Tracer
- Hero Trailer: Tychus
- Hero Trailer: Tyrael
- Hero Trailer: Zagara
- Developer Interview
- Gameplay Sneak Peak
- Hero Skin: Azmodunk
- Hero Skin: Space Lord Leoric
- World Event: Gift of Winter Veil
- World Event: Love is in the Air
- World Event: Lunar Festival
- Forged by Fire: Heroes of the Storm BlizzCon 2016 Hero Trailer
- World Event: The Twelve Days of Winter Veil
- Cinematic: Hanamura Showdown
- World Event: Sun's Out, Gun's Out
- Gamescom 2017: Obey the Call
- ^ Heroes of the Storm News.... Blizzard Entertainment (2018-12-13). Retrieved on 2018-12-13.
- ^ a b GameSpot: Blizzard explains why it doesn't call Heroes of the Storm a MOBA
- ^ List of unconfirmed heroes - Warcraft, accessed on 2016-05-05
- ^ Valve and Blizzard settle over use of DOTA
- ^ Battle.Net: Heroes of the Storm