Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
A hex wears off over time or when the caster has been slain.
Hex is considered a polymorph effect, but unlike the spell it is not guaranteed to break on damage. This means 'Hexed' mobs can usually afford to take an accidental hit or stay crowd controlled during area of effect spells. Hexed players can often take a fair amount of damage without breaking the effect, making the spell in some ways more useful than other similar effects. Also, Hexed targets do not have the greatly increased health regeneration granted to Polymorphed targets.
As a Polymorph effect, Hex can be shapeshifted out of by Druids.
While Hexed targets are unable to take any actions (aside from shapeshifting and the use of counters and trinkets) they remain in control of their character, and are able to move at normal movement speed in the direction of their choice.
Hex lasts for up to 1 minute when cast upon mobs. When cast upon players, the spell has an 8 second duration, and is subject to Diminishing returns.
Hex is one of the two new abilities given to shamans in Wrath of the Lich King, and was one of the abilities of the Shadow Hunter in Warcraft III. As this is the same hero unit that originally had and an equivalent of , Hex has been one of the most suggested shaman abilities since release, along with and .
- Hex is a basic Shaman spell in Hearthstone. The flavor text reads: "If you Hex a Murloc... it really isn't much of a change, is it?"
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Mana cost removed. Cooldown reduced from 45 seconds to 30 seconds.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Cast time increased to 1.7 seconds.
- Hotfix (2013-10-09): "Corrected an issue that allowed Warriors to cast Storm Bolt while under the effects of a Hex."
- Patch 5.2.0 (2013-03-05): The frog model used has been updated to the new model. (Source)
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Increased duration from 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Hotfix (2009-04-30): "Mana Burn now causes Fear, Hex and Psychic Scream to break early when used."
- Patch 3.0.2 (2008-10-14): Added.